News   May 03, 2024
 996     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 606     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 292     0 

Toronto building boom

I'm sorry, but not a single one of your replies are worth disputing.

My only suggestion is that you get away from the computer and visit Chicago beyond the Loop.

... but you've already said that everything outside of the Loop is a broken down slum? Why on earth would anybody want to??

"... and yet in Toronto we still have 'budget issues' and infrastructure needs too (to say the very least), only without anything that remotely approaches the civic grandeur of MP. At least Chicago has a gorgeous bauble or two."

I don't have a strong reaction to comments like this Tewder but I wanted to question if we take things too much for granted in this city? Sure this city has problems, but our budgetary issue are peanuts by global standards. We act as though the city is collapsing but in reality we have a budget surplus. We rail about our do nothing attitude to transit at a time when over 10 billion dollars of transit expansion, including subway, are under construction. Etc. The list goes on.

I'm not against criticism and comparison but focusing too much on them leaves us vulnerable to an imbalance of perspective.

You're absolutely right TrickyRicky! We do have to make it a point to focus on positives now and again... and for the record I think Harbourfront Centre is a great facility in and of its own right, irrespective of any thoughts about MP. Can't lose sight of that!

... but you've already said that everything outside of the Loop is a broken down slum?

I said that did I? hmmm

I'm not against criticism and comparison but focusing too much on them leaves us vulnerable to an imbalance of perspective.

Rational statements are generally wasted on the irrational.

I can't stop laughing when i hear Torontonians complain about their budget issues. Seriously, no one in Toronto can even begin to grasp what REAL budget issues feels like. Now i understand why everyone in Canada hates Torontonians so much. They are spoiled little brats. People like Tewder and Freshcutgrass are exactly what the ROC makes fun of when they look at Toronto. One is in some fake bubble where he's living in a city that's crumbling and in a financial mess. The other can't come to terms that the mentality of trying to do everything for everyone has kept Toronto as an average city. And a pretty ugly one.
If i hear one more person complain about the roads quality in Toronto i will kidnap them and take them for a tour of Eastern Canada so they can see what real crumbling infrastructure looks like.
Now, i love Toronto. Unfortunately i can't say the same for 75% of the people I've met.

Ah, the ol' 'shut up cause there are other places worse off' argument. Constructive.

Ah, the ol' 'they did it there so let's copy them because we won't be cool' argument. Constructive.

The other can't come to terms that the mentality of trying to do everything for everyone has kept Toronto as an average city. And a pretty ugly one.

+1
I will use "mediocre" instead of average though, in almost all aspects.
Harbourfront Centre is quintessentia Toronto. Something that seems to "work", in a cheap, mediocre way everyone seems to be proud of, and in no attempt to strive for greatness because that will be a "waste of money".

Last edited:
Ah, the ol' 'shut up cause there are other places worse off' argument. Constructive.

His post can be dismissed because it's pure trolling, not because that's the argument.

Your flaw is that you are arguing that what's "worse off" is actually "better off".

+1
I will use "mediocre" instead of average though, in almost all aspects.
Harbourfront Centre is quintessentia Toronto. Something that seems to "work", in a cheap, mediocre way everyone seems to be proud of, and in no attempt to strive for greatness because that will be a "waste of money".

Except the facts and your opinion are in titanic conflict.

Just thought I would interject a little pet peeve here....can we agree that the use of the "+1" is over? It's kinda the equivalent of "you go girl".

His post can be dismissed because it's pure trolling...

Yes, he's already stated that he hates people in Toronto so what is he really adding to this disucussion, let alone this forum?

See Fresh, we can agree on something!

Thanos doesn't think that anybody can have an objective and critical discussion about the public realm in Toronto without finding it offensive, it seems it either makes him laugh uncontrollably like someone who should be institutionalized, or it makes him dreadfully insecure.

Back