Toronto Brimley & Progress Towers | 156.05m | 47s | Atria | A & Architects

Solaris

Member Bio
Reaction score
came across this older City Planning preliminary staff report from March 2007 (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-2180.pdf) for a proposed development containing 4 towers ranging from 31 to 36 storeys at the southwest corner of Brimley Road and Progress Avenue, north of the SRT line in Scarborough City Centre.

From memory seeing these drawings in person a while back, the developer was Atria Development Group and the buildings were designed by Turner Fleischer Architects Inc (TFAI).

While not too spectacular in design (sorta reminds me a bit of Equinox)... this is going to provide some nice height+density... however I do kind of like what I see on the east (Brimley) elevations :)

BrimleyProgress_siteplan.jpg

BrimleyProgress_ElevationN.jpg

BrimleyProgress_ElevationE.jpg

BrimleyProgress_ElevationS.jpg

The Scarborough Centre Secondary Plan gives some location context (site is highlighted by thick black line on left)

SCCsecplan.jpg

When this proposal first came out, I remember wondering who could possibly want to live in the lower SW facing units of building C, overlooking both the RT and the recycling plant. STC will seem like a concrete wasteland until sites like this one along Brimley and Consilium are developed.

It meets the street well, with street retail and "live work" units (I'm guessing they are units with a professional office at street level and residential above), which is a lot better than all the recent developments in Scarborough Centre.

We should have had these developments all over SCC before the Monarch projects, and before the big box stores. To me, this project has too little urban design for SCC, and way too late.

Safe to say this project is dead but here's a rendering I found of what would have been. This is awful, the massing and blandness reminds me a lot of Hong Kong.

brimleyprogress3.png

Last edited:

Back