Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

April 18
The place looks at lot different now with both the old hospital and the Don Jail gone now.

Landscaping is the only remaining thing to be done now
17245252212_7e54fb194b_b.jpg

17221025636_7a5a19d47b_b.jpg

17039558247_c5cb11cbdb_b.jpg

17039583437_59578a087e_b.jpg

17246444131_30536d1d35_b.jpg

One of the requirements that the City imposed on Bridgepoint was that the hospital preserve the entrances structures of the old Riverdale Hospital halfround building (the "mushrooms") and the Saico glass mosaic mural, and incorporate them into the new development in publicly accessible spaces. Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

ETA: Okay, so the mural was nicely restored and incorporated into the new building. From what I can find online, unclear to what degree it is publicly accessible, but far all I know it's in a very public space.

ETA2: I can't find any information online on the re-installation of the mushroom canopies, although they may end up being installed this summer somewhere in the open space shown above in Drum118's photos.

Riverdale_Hospital_art_deco.jpg

Attachments

• Riverdale_Hospital_art_deco.jpg
    Riverdale_Hospital_art_deco.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,540
Last edited:
The mushrooms are there, at the back of the hospital reading down to Riverdale park. Quite accessible, and look kinda cool.

One of the requirements that the City imposed on Bridgepoint was that the hospital preserve the entrances structures of the old Riverdale Hospital halfround building (the "mushrooms") and the Saico glass mosaic mural, and incorporate them into the new development in publicly accessible spaces. Does anyone know if this has been done yet?

ETA: Okay, so the mural was nicely restored and incorporated into the new building. From what I can find online, unclear to what degree it is publicly accessible, but far all I know it's in a very public space.

ETA2: I can't find any information online on the re-installation of the mushroom canopies, although they may end up being installed this summer somewhere in the open space shown above in Drum118's photos.

View attachment 45012

Hey, I didn't know about these. Thanks for posting that, I'm gonna go check them out. I love quirky design features like that!

I believe you can see them in google maps, to the top right of the new hospital.
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 11.59.23 AM.png

Unless those circles are something else?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 11.59.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 11.59.23 AM.png
    633.3 KB · Views: 963
Just got back from a trip back to Canada, including visiting friends in Riverdale. I went for a walk around the Bridgepoint campus (with a Rose's banh mi deluxe, spicy... yum!!) and I can confirm the mushrooms are serving as an 'entrance' from the hospital to the park beside. They've fenced off all the grass they've laid for a full year (apparently) to give it a chance to set root, but this is an amazing extension of Riverdale park. Between the hospital, Don Jail teardown/restoration, Aziz reno, and the Riverdale library spruce-up as well as re-configuring the roads, what was once one of the bleakest parts of the 'nabe is now one of the nicest. Bravo and respect to all the key players.

Bridgepoint features in the film "Room" currently in cinemas. It won the audience awards at TIFF this year, BTW, and is touted for Oscar noms. Not for the building mind you…

This may just have been idle chatter, but I heard that they wanted to give the grass, etc., a year "to take" before they let people on it. That seems a bit extreme to me… but maybe.

Surprised no photos of the pedestrian pathway on its west side. Perhaps it's not overly useful, and hard to find if you're not looking for it. But well landscaped linkages such as these are a great asset/investment. All that's needed is some paving in Riverdale East Park to connect with the one through CALC, and we'd have a solid trail network in place.

Back