Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

From today:

6942880562_4a98bbcbd1_b.jpg

6942882136_48561b358d_b.jpg

7088955079_eedf81146a_b.jpg

6942886544_437cb25ebe_b.jpg

Looks like something of a masterpiece. The massing is very good for what in ordinary hands would be just a big box. The raised elements in the facade are intricate and interesting without seeming random like on many recent projects. Even the mechanical box on top seems to add something to the design. It's great to see innovative work in the modernist tradition from a hometown firm. Way to go D+S.

Looks like something of a masterpiece. The massing is very good for what in ordinary hands would be just a big box. The raised elements in the facade are intricate and interesting without seeming random like on many recent projects. Even the mechanical box on top seems to add something to the design. It's great to see innovative work in the modernist tradition from a hometown firm. Way to go D+S.

Agreed, it really looks pretty good both from close-up and from further away. The big question of course is how well it works as a long-term hospital. ("Form follows function" and all that!)

The building is undeniably beautiful, but the siting is terrible, making it loom over the area far more than the old hospital. It completely overwhelms the valley at this location (as the shot from across the river in the park shows).

Thanks anon!

DSC:

I wouldn't worry about the function part - at the end of the day, the building is still an efficient box - and I think the internal design had efficiency in mind. As much as I love the half-round building, that's probably an aspect it wouldn't hold a candle to.

AoD

They had a green roof in the renderings but no hint of trees on top. A complete 180 from the projects that promise greenery in renders but some how lack any such leafy foliage once all is said and done.

Whenever I see trees stuck on top of buildings I want to liberate them and return them to the earth where they belong. I feel much the same way about whales in aquariums and animals in zoos.

Whenever I see trees stuck on top of buildings I want to liberate them and return them to the earth where they belong. I feel much the same way about whales in aquariums and animals in zoos.

And what of the peaceful oases atop such Concrete Toronto classics as the Sheridan and Prii's Nightmare? Or older buildings like 401 Richmond? Peter doesn't seem to mind the idea or he probably wouldn't have marooned several of them above Murano and 18 Yorkville.

It's a polished and nicely detailed building, but the way it overpowers the landscape is not elegant or commendable. Sometimes architecture fits in to the point of being almost unnoticeable. That can be a fault, but overpowering the landscape in this way isn't positive either.

Whenever I see trees stuck on top of buildings I want to liberate them and return them to the earth where they belong.

I honestly don't mean to be disrespectful, but I some times image that once and awhile you post while under some hallucinogenic. Another case being your argument for the colour of temporary structures in the U Condos thread not long ago.

I don't necessarily disagree with your comments, they just seem somewhat psychedelic and not something I would have ever pondered myself.

Back