Toronto Bridgepoint Hospital | 61.87m | 10s | Bridgepoint Health | Diamond Schmitt

6305666385_ffd0dc6028_b.jpg

Last edited:
From my POV today -

DSC_0025.jpg

Like the Four Seasons, this building looks spectacular in gloomy weather.

Attachments

• DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 308
I love all the contemporary details on the new building, but it looks very busy with the dense amount of those vertical lines and the completely different sections of all-glass cladding. (Are the vertical lines windows or just ornamental panels?). In the end, it might be great when it all comes together. By comparison, the old Riverdale Hospital is more restrained, but still finely detailed. It's more elegant, and it's worth seeing while you still can, especially since it hasn't closed yet and is in relatively good condition. There has to be a way to reuse it. We can think that the city is building a great collection of architecture and generating an excellent built heritage, but if we build beautiful buildings and then tear them down within a few decades, we're just spinning our wheels and going nowhere in this regard.

Last edited:
The slim vertical panels that stand out in relief are of a glass that matches, in colour, the glass of the new hospital's windows. Perhaps they're partly decorative, I can't tell.

The south east corner of the new hospital is set back slightly and defers to the west wing of the old Jail. I think most of us will miss the old half-round, but the new wing does a better job of engaging the heritage building - the existing hospital turns it's back to it.

After a few weeks with all the cladding on the skeleton, I'm a huge fan. This is a really cool building.

They're building out a 'deck' on the north side that I didn't know was going to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a nice interplay, and balance, between the vertical glass panels and the matte grey horizontal cladding. One of the more interesting recent sculptural building exteriors produced by our local design culture, and on a par with Teeple's 60 Richmond East and that little hut that looks like a stealth bomber he parked in Sherbourne Common.

It's interesting how readily we accept the planned tonal differences when applied to the placement of Bridgepoint's windows, yet still find the effect produced by the unplanned tonal differences in the ROM Crystal's cladding jarring.

Though some of us find that the ROM's tonal differences add a depth to its crystalline form that uniform cladding would not.

Though some of us find that the ROM's tonal differences add a depth to its crystalline form that uniform cladding would not.

Indeed some of us do ... +1

I'd find the ROM Crystal's tonal differences more engaging if, as suggested earlier, they were the result of artifice rather than error - Bridgepoint being the example.

Back