Toronto Bohemian Embassy Flats + Lofts | ?m | 19s | Pemberton | P + S / IBI

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
hey man, I dont make up the terms, I just use them in their commom usages... this used to be one of the scummiest areas in Toronto (imo), one of very few areas I wouldn't like to be walking late at night. Now its getting something shiny and new. Seems completely out of place for this neighbourhood = gentrification.

Don't be concerned; I wasn't mocking your usage. It's just the idea of some form of gentry moving into a place called the Bohemian Embassy on that part of Queen that tickled the irony bone (if there is such a thing).

Should have called it the BoBo Embassy: Bohemian Bourgeoisie.

You people are so judgemental, look at the positives, I for one am going to try to make friends with some of the inhabitants of Bo-Em so I have a place to crash after a drunken karoke night at Gladstone.

Bohemian Embassy's marketing strategy was criticized throughout the entire process. Sure, it appeals to a lot of yuppies but I still feel as if the local arts community was exploited in some ways.

Are you kidding...the local "arties" had way more fun poking fun at it, than the "yuppies" had doing whatever it is they do.

BTW....there is no such thing as "Yuppies" any more.

The entire triangle is a dead zone, making that stretch of Queen a one-sided street. Ok...the marketing was cringingly goofy, but that just gave the superior feeling "arties" yet another excuse to keep up the "Drake you hoe" routine.

Do you really think this project, with its sympathetic materials and street massing is inferior to what was there? What's next...fight to keep the car wash as a historical "artsy west queen west" cultural institution?

I don't love everything going on there, and it's a shame about some of the low-rent artists being victims of inevitable change...but there really is no-one to blame in the gentrification process...embrace, put up with, or move on.

And yea...I'm one of those working stiffs who used to drink at the old Gladdy with the old guard in the Melody lounge, playing pool, drinking way too much cheap draft and reluctantly listening to C&W when Broncos opened. But I'm the first to admit I actually prefer what's happened since then. I believe the Drake was called Papa Gino's back then, and had about as much character as a Coffee Time.

Gallery Condominiums at Bohemian Embassy

223013b44428b8d3f7fe46b23597.jpeg

The Gallery Condominiums at Bohemian Embassy had its launch this past Saturday.

http://www.gallerycondos.ca/

There are some good shots of the building in the Gallery section.

The rendering on the website shows the Queen street facade with the Bohemian Embassy's lowered height. With all the setbacks this should fit in nicely on the street.

As much as the name "bohemian Embassy" irks me, and as poor as their marketing attempts are... I actually really like the massing of the project, the site plan looks very nice, and I think it fits into the neighbourhood very very nicely. The brick, the setbacks, the height, the Juliet balconies, and the street level retail should make for a very nice addition to this area.

And they'll have subway to their doorstep when the DRL opens.

Back