Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

Other than the obvious how many seats you can fit in which makes the NHL more money. Could a winter classic not be played in a outdoor tennis arena like york. I cant understand how the viewing can be any good so far from the field in a soccer or football venue.

Even if the rink would fit where the tennis court would be.....centre court at York's tennis centre has less seats (even with the temporary seats in the upper deck) than ACC....so why would they bother with this idea.

Even if the rink would fit where the tennis court would be.....centre court at York's tennis centre has less seats (even with the temporary seats in the upper deck) than ACC....so why would they bother with this idea.

Id rather pay double or triple the price but know im going to see something.... instead the winter classic seems to be more about the experience... I am the same with concerts though... To me if I dont have floor tickets there really is no point. I understand completely that this might not make financial sense but i dont believe in offering an inferior product at an inflated price solely for experience..

The article says the roof at the Skydome would be open if the game were to be played there. How though, it has to be around 15 degrees C for consecutive days before they can even begin testing. Anything below 10 degrees C and the rails the roof moves on could either expand or retract.

The article says the roof at the Skydome would be open if the game were to be played there. How though, it has to be around 15 degrees C for consecutive days before they can even begin testing. Anything below 10 degrees C and the rails the roof moves on could either expand or retract.

Reading more closely, I see that just says the Leafs will get an "outdoor game" in 2017. That means it may not be the Winter Classic, so it won't have to be on January 1. It could be planned for October or March. The NHL has done a "Heritage Classic" with Canadian teams several times. Vancouver hosted Ottawa in BC Place where the CFL games are and it was on March 2.

It would be a Heritage Classic, the version that features only Canadian teams. I can't see the NHL squandering such a marketable event like the Winter Classic on the two most established hockey markets in the League. That is year after year one of the most viewed NHL games in the US, and I can't see them giving up the advertising revenue.

Reading more closely, I see that just says the Leafs will get an "outdoor game" in 2017. That means it may not be the Winter Classic, so it won't have to be on January 1. It could be planned for October or March. The NHL has done a "Heritage Classic" with Canadian teams several times. Vancouver hosted Ottawa in BC Place where the CFL games are and it was on March 2.

I did see that, though Shanahan is trying to get the Winter Classic specifically, as did Brian Burke when he requested that back in 2012. The Leafs will push to get the Winter Classic first, MLSE would be happier with that over the Heritage Classic. Right now, whether it's Winter or Heritage is still in discussion according to Bettman. Whichever Classic it is, and if it is played at the dome, I'd love nothing more than to have the roof open. Watching Jays games when it's closed is just a depressing sight, so if they can't work something out at Skydome for this event, I'd rather have it outdoors at BMO like it was originally intended to, than indoors at the dome.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2015/01/24/maple-leafs-push-centennial-wish-list-at-all-star-bash.html

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shanahan-hints-at-possible-toronto-winter-classic/

I did see that, though Shanahan is trying to get the Winter Classic specifically, as did Brian Burke when he requested that back in 2012. The Leafs will push to get the Winter Classic first, MLSE would be happier with that over the Heritage Classic. Right now, whether it's Winter or Heritage is still in discussion according to Bettman. Whichever Classic it is, and if it is played at the dome, I'd love nothing more than to have the roof open. Watching Jays games when it's closed is just a depressing sight, so if they can't work something out at Skydome for this event, I'd rather have it outdoors at BMO like it was originally intended to, than indoors at the dome.

The Leafs and Shanahan can push for it, but I suspect that MLSE would settle for the equal revenue from a different named event, rather than downgrade to BMO. It is the Leafs centennial, but it also coincides with 50 year anniversaries for the 1967 expansion teams too: St. Louis, LA, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh (RIP Minnesota North Stars and California Golden Seals); so there will be teams pushing from all corners for that January 1 game.

Another factor is that Canadian dollar revenue is only 80% of US dollar revenue now, and, from the NHL and NHLPAs point of view, the Classic is really about making money first, and celebrating the game second. It's for sure important to the NHLPA given recent reports that the league isn't generating enough revenue for players to earn their full, and still quickly escalating, contract salaries.

Last edited:
Id rather pay double or triple the price but know im going to see something.... instead the winter classic seems to be more about the experience... I am the same with concerts though... To me if I dont have floor tickets there really is no point. I understand completely that this might not make financial sense but i dont believe in offering an inferior product at an inflated price solely for experience..

It doesn't matter what you and/or I want....it is what generates the most revenue and moving from the ACC to the tennis centre at York is going to generate less revenue....and that is not the point of going outdoors.

It would be a Heritage Classic, the version that features only Canadian teams. I can't see the NHL squandering such a marketable event like the Winter Classic on the two most established hockey markets in the League. That is year after year one of the most viewed NHL games in the US, and I can't see them giving up the advertising revenue.

Ottawa is pushing very hard and many fully expect them to get the 2017 Heritage Classic.

In a 20,000 seat stadium? Kind of makes the occasion redundant

For the Grey Cup it would hold around 30,000 it would be a bit higher for a outdoor game some have said 40,000 not sure how they would do that but it would be more then 20,000.

The smallest Heritage Classic attendance was 41K at McMahon Stadium in Calgary - 2011.
The smallest Winter Classic attendance was 38K at Fenway Park in Boston - 2010.

The NHL has made it clear that they would want to host an outdoor game in Winnipeg and has spoke of multiple games in Toronto (including at the Rogers Centre), but Ottawa? It is wedged between the two greatest hockey markets in Canada, has a comparatively tiny population and an outdoor stadium capacity of 24K? It wouldn't make any sense to pick TD Place in Ottawa over an expanded BMO field. None.

The smallest Heritage Classic attendance was 41K at McMahon Stadium in Calgary - 2011.
The smallest Winter Classic attendance was 38K at Fenway Park in Boston - 2010.

The NHL has made it clear that they would want to host an outdoor game in Winnipeg and has spoke of multiple games in Toronto (including at the Rogers Centre), but Ottawa? It is wedged between the two greatest hockey markets in Canada, has a comparatively tiny population and an outdoor stadium capacity of 24K? It wouldn't make any sense to pick TD Place in Ottawa over an expanded BMO field. None.

They could give them two outdoor games back-to-back, the first vs. Toronto, and second vs. Montreal.

They would sell out both with ease. It sounds crazy, but: Gary Bettman!

They could give them two outdoor games back-to-back, the first vs. Toronto, and second vs. Montreal.

They would sell out both with ease. It sounds crazy, but: Gary Bettman!

If Ottawa gets an outdoor NHL game in the next few years I will be surprised.

BMO Field is a much more suitable and profitable venue

Back