Toronto Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

Possibility of a seat vs. possibility of not getting on train. Is that reason to go an extra 8 minutes?

My opinion as I thought I'd made clear...........is "no, it's not."

As I noted, there are reasons to consider a Sheppard West extension, at some point; but that is not, in my opinion, one of them. (possibility of getting a seat)

In respect of getting on a train, I don't accept that argument. Everyone can board at Sheppard. Further south is more problematic.

My opinion as I thought I'd made clear...........is "no, it's not."

As I noted, there are reasons to consider a Sheppard West extension, at some point; but that is not, in my opinion, one of them. (possibility of getting a seat)

In respect of getting on a train, I don't accept that argument. Everyone can board at Sheppard. Further south is more problematic.
If the Yonge extension to Richmond Hill adds back all those passengers that got off to use the Ontario Line - it will become hard to board at Sheppard.

If the Yonge extension to Richmond Hill adds back all those passengers that got off to use the Ontario Line - it will become hard to board at Sheppard.

I'm not sure what position your advocating about what at this point.

How does this relate to the Bloor-Yonge Capacity expansion?

I'm not sure what position your advocating about what at this point.

How does this relate to the Bloor-Yonge Capacity expansion?
Mercenary said that people would take Sheppard to Spadina.
You said No because of time.
I said they might transfer due to convenience.
You said there is no convenience benefit.
I said yes because of new riders.

If you want to say that we went off on a tangent, I can accept that.

Mercenary said that people would take Sheppard to Spadina.
You said No because of time.
I said they might transfer due to convenience.
You said there is no convenience benefit.
I said yes because of new riders.

If you want to say that we went off on a tangent, I can accept that.

The point of Mercenary's argument was that such a line would divert traffic away from Bloor-Yonge.

Your argument, is predicated on the trains on Yonge still being at capacity.

I would see these to be in conflict.

I would also suggest we see very little evidence today of people bypassing St. Clair and going to St. Clair West in the hopes of getting a seat, or boarding a train earlier; notwithstanding greater crowding at that point on the line; and a much shorter distance between those 2 stations (albeit going btw by streetcar.

I simply find it unlikely given the material time disadvantage that a statistically significant number of riders would make that choice.

Regardless, it's moot, if your argument is that even with a Sheppard extension, that the Yonge line would be maxed out.

That would be an argument in favour of Bloor-Yonge expansion.

Please note that I'm not opposed to Sheppard-West, though it certainly isn't the #1, 2 or 3 priority.

But I don't think the argument the line would relieve Line 1 is particularly compelling.

I have to say, at some point value for money needs to be considered. While other investments to add capacity may cost more, they likely provide more value. I'm talking adding additional parallel routes to divert/intercept some of the transfer volume.

Hi!

So many of you don't think this capacity improvement is needed if the Ontario Line is built?

Wouldn't this help future-proof the station? I'm sure in the long term it is going to be needed.

So once the Ontario Line completes, demand on this station will be down which means that's probably the best time possible to start doing expansion work as capacity will be reduced while the improvements take place. Doing it while at full use would suck.

Hi!

So many of you don't think this capacity improvement is needed if the Ontario Line is built?

Wouldn't this help future-proof the station? I'm sure in the long term it is going to be needed.

So once the Ontario Line completes, demand on this station will be down which means that's probably the best time possible to start doing expansion work as capacity will be reduced while the improvements take place. Doing it while at full use would suck.
Not that Y-B isn't packed, but maybe not the best use of money.
I think this is a half solution for full price. This is adding another platform to the Bloor line - giving each direction their own platform. It is also improving circulation a bit. But it is not doing anything for Yonge - which is arguably a bigger problem. The key to the whole station is getting people on an off the train. Once they are off the train, the slightly better circulation will allow them to leave faster, but I am not sure if it's enough.
Either, you live with this interchange and spend the money on another line that would give people an option to avoid this station, or at least avoid transferring here, or
spend a bit more and add an extra platform to Yonge - which is not easy with the side platforms - but there are options.

Steve Munro had a great description a dozen years ago.
I'm thinking to add a NB Yonge platform direction under Yonge.
Also, maybe lengthen the Yonge platform to allow for 7 car trains.

Upgrading B-Y seems like something that could be more effective whenever the building above are redeveloped. I can’t believe we’d be paying 1 billion for something still so far from optimal on the busiest interchange.

The buildings above will be redeveloped.

See this post, and thread:

Looking at the documentation, the current $1.5b budget is presuming that the expansion is constructed with the building above being retained, but the city is negotiating with Brookfield for them to demolish and redevelop as a part of the work, which would save a frig-ton of money for the TTC.

Looking at the documentation, the current $1.5b budget is presuming that the expansion is constructed with the building above being retained, but the city is negotiating with Brookfield for them to demolish and redevelop as a part of the work, which would save a frig-ton of money for the TTC.

It definitely would.

2029... that is hilarious! another 10 years to wait! by the time the changes are made they will be out of date again lol!!

I can't understand why do all the infrastructure projects have to take so long??? In Moscow they build 20-30 new subway stations a year. and in Canada they are expanding 2 stations for 10 years!!! That is ridiculous!!!

Back