Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

...again, that is happening this year. The sewer work just finished. However, Toronto Hydro is currently digging up the road at various points to replace hydro vaults (such as the one on the 1 Bloor site.

From http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/construction_updates/construction_updates.html
BLOOR STREET Construction Update
May 14, 2009
Yonge Street to Church Street:

All work has moved to the north side of Bloor St. East, between Yonge St. and St. Paul Square. Installation of the concrete sub-base and the granite will take place, predominantly, in front of 2 Bloor Street East/Hudson Bay Centre working eastwards from Yonge Street towards Park Road. Work on excavation and soil cell installation is now complete in front of 120 and 160 Bloor Street East and granite installation has begun. Paving of the roadway will occur, once the boulevard work is completed, which is estimated to be completed by August.
Yonge Street to Avenue Road:

Construction equipment and barriers between Bay St. and Yonge St. will be removed by the end of this week. The City contractor will be carrying out ‘test pit’ work in several locations between Yonge and Avenue Road, where further investigation of current road conditions is required. Isolated pockets within street lanes will be closed, on occasion, to complete this work.
Due to ongoing and extensive work on numerous hydro chambers located in the roadway, Toronto Hydro will be working in isolated locations between Yonge and Avenue Road for approximately 6 - 7 months*. Lowering of the hydro chamber lids and upgrading of antiquated lines requires complete access to hydro chambers within this portion of the road way; the City contractor work will not be able to carry out boulevard work until hydro work is complete.
Pedestrian access to businesses and properties, between Yonge St. and Avenue Road will NOT be interrupted. No major work will be occurring on the boulevards.
* A Q & A will follow shortly providing more details regarding necessary hydro work

So completion for fall 2010?

I still think that they should put a statue of Ben Kerr up on that corner.

I emailed the BIA about putting a statue of Ben Kerr on the corner, and I just got this back:

Hi Hank,

I just wanted to let you know that your idea has been passed on to our PPUD Committee (Planning, Preservation & Urban Design), where it will be discussed at their next meeting.

Regards,

Laura Penny
Communications Coordinator
Bloor-Yorkville BIA
Tel: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Fax: XXX-XXX-XXXX
www.bloor-yorkville.com

I'm not sure if they're actually going to consider it or not but who knows...maybe something will actually happen.

July 9/09 - Update

http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/construction_updates/construction_updates.html

BLOOR STREET Construction Update
July 9, 2009

Yonge St. & Bloor St. – Partial Intersection Closure
The intersection of Yonge St. and Bloor St. will be partially closed the weekend of July 11th and 12th. The closure will only affect the northbound and southbound traffic on Yonge St. Eastbound and westbound traffic, on Bloor St. will be maintained on the south half of the roadway. The closure is necessary for the road reconstruction portion of the project.

Paid duty officers will direct northbound traffic at Hayden St., to divert to Church St., while southbound traffic will be diverted at Yorkville Ave., to utilize Bay St. The closure will begin at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, July 10th, and will be re-opened early Monday morning, prior to the morning peak traffic.

Yonge St. to Church St.
Installation of the granite continues in front of 2 Bloor St. East, and should be completed by mid-August. Concrete sidewalks, north of Bloor St., on Park Rd. and Church St., are being poured to reinstate the sidewalks damaged during the watermain work in 2007.

Access to the 2 Bloor St. East parking garage (next to the Marriott) will be closed during the weekend of July 18th and 19th, in order to complete the granite installation in this area.

Yonge St. to Avenue Rd.
Installation of the granite paving on the boulevard in front of 2 Bloor St. West, is nearing completion. The south boulevard work will begin in front of 1 Bloor St. West (Stollery’s) mid-late July, with completion expected mid-late August. The paving of the south half of the roadway may take place during a weekend, mid-August.

July 24-09

I hope this isn't what I think it is starting already (n/e corner of Yonge & Bloor)

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Might want to email those pics to the Bloor-Yorkville BIA and Councillor Rae's office to see what's going on. I'm going to assume that paint will dissolve in time? Otherwise that's vandalism, period, no matter who does it and for what purpose.

Read back a few pages. You will find the answer.

How about just answering the question, instead of putting in a smartass pointless post?

==

Apparently they will wait until the fall, though one would think it might be smarter to wait until next spring, so the trees can toughen up before enduring a Toronto winter of salt, slush, and cold.

I understood that fall is the best time to plant most trees in this climate when the tree is most dormant.

Tree Time

While Tree time can be anytime...

Early Spring, and Late Fall are best.

You plant then because you want dormancy (winter would be better still, but frozen ground is a problem).

You want dormancy (no leaves, tree in hibernation mode) because this significantly reduces the risk of transplant shock.

A tree in full-growth mode will be less likely to survive a move, and will likely require more TLC.

Also, you want to avoid the risk of full out drought in the summer, when the roots haven't yet begun to reestablish.

This is especially true when dealing with larger trees where the roots are almost always trimmed in order to transplant them.

As a rule of thumb, most trees have a root spread that is the same width as the widest part of their crown.

So you can imagine that amount of root makes transportation or transplantation difficult; but the plant is in a weakened state after its roots are trimmed.

As to Spring or Fall.

For most species they are roughly equal.

Though there are species you are better off planting in Spring; Oaks would be the best example.

Indeed thanks Northern Light... the investment they put in the root system below bloor means they better plant trees at the right time as well!

Back