Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

After 50 or so years, the indentation on Bloor just east of Yonge has been filled in.

bloort1.jpg

Fwew. Now everyone can hang out on the shadowy side of the street!

sidewalk indentation

I remember the funny indent here before the construction too. I'm glad it is gone and replaced with sidewalk. Does anyone know how it came to be in the first place?

I remember the funny indent here before the construction too. I'm glad it is gone and replaced with sidewalk. Does anyone know how it came to be in the first place?

It was because when the Yonge Subway was built, there was a transferway put it for connections between the Bloor Streetcar and the subway.

subway-5102-10.gif

Is this project going up to the schedule? When can we expect the phase 1 (Church to Younge) to be completed?

I'll tell you what makes the hugest difference ... the fact that granite is extended all the way down to the street including the curb it self. You know there's a TON of granite in Toronto ... on Yonge street those little strips of them are everywhere up NYCC, downtown, Eglinton ... But other then the fact they're just strips they stop at the edge which really takes away from the look.

What a lovely wide promenade... looks fantastic!
I can't wait to see the trees go in. :)

I wonder how big the trees will be, and how fast they will grow in this newfangled trench system.

Ever since I visited Singapore, I have longed for gigantic trees along the street like on Orchard Road. Significant amounts of greenery would make such a difference here!

I wonder how big the trees will be, and how fast they will grow in this newfangled trench system.

Ever since I visited Singapore, I have longed for gigantic trees along the street like on Orchard Road. Significant amounts of greenery would make such a difference here!

Yes, and how wonderful is Paris in spring when the trees that line the boulevards and avenues are all in blossom?

Is there anything more 'civilized' than beautiful parks and gardens and canopies of trees in urban spaces? Ditch the green roofs and all the other questionable 'green' policies and direct the funds to something that will truly make the city healthier and more sustainable for its citizens... okay, roof gardens would be nice too.

Back