Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

So what happens in a case like the new Bloor St. They are laying down large granite paving stones. I don't think you can slap some asphalt on them when you're finished.

I would assume you can just replace the paving stones when you're done - like those false floors that some buildings have for their wiring.

Well one would also assume they would replace the concrete on the sidewalks after they are done, but look how fast that is done...

Well one would also assume they would replace the concrete on the sidewalks after they are done, but look how fast that is done...

I agree that the City is rather slow in fixing "utility cuts" but it does make more sense to fix several in an area rather than doing them one-by-one. In addition, it is better if the ground has a few months to settle before concrete is poured so one probably should not fix them for 3-6 months. Then of course there's winter....

Yes, but you jack-hammer concrete sidewalks out, but you can physically lift granite pavers up (and physically replace them when you're done). Huge difference, no?

I agree that the City is rather slow in fixing "utility cuts" but it does make more sense to fix several in an area rather than doing them one-by-one. In addition, it is better if the ground has a few months to settle before concrete is poured so one probably should not fix them for 3-6 months. Then of course there's winter....

Just down the street from me last summer they tore up part of my road and parts of the sidewalk to do utility work. They had the sidewalks fixed about 2 weeks after the work was done if not less.

Just down the street from me last summer they tore up part of my road and parts of the sidewalk to do utility work. They had the sidewalks fixed about 2 weeks after the work was done if not less.

Clearly you are a man of influence, or else you were lucky and 'your cut' was made just when the area was scheduled for a repair blitz. :)

BLOOR STREET

Construction Update

January 20, 2009

Bloor Street Transformation Update

Yonge St. to Church St . :

Boulevard works on the south side between Church St. and Park Rd. are close to completion, with the new granite pavers and curb installed. Some planter work and additional adjustments are required before the boulevard is completely opened up. Construction continues on the south side, between Park Rd. and Yonge St .

Construction, between Yonge St. and Park Rd. , on the north side, will begin following the waterproofing of the Hudson ’s Bay Centre basement roof, which extends underground, beyond their building face. The property owners are undertaking this work, on their property. Temporary asphalt has been installed on the City sidewalk to provide a safe, walkable surface during the winter months. Once all work below the boulevard has been completed, the contractor will return to install the granite.

Construction of the north side of Bloor St. East , between Park Rd. and Church St. is scheduled to begin, following completion of the south side.

Yonge Street to Avenue Road:

Powerline Plus (PLP), has returned, to continue working on the rebuilding of Hydro Chambers (aka “Manholesâ€), located predominantly on the north side of the street, in the curb lane. The following is a schedule, by address, provided by the City and Toronto Hydro:

50 Bloor St., at Balmuto St. from Jan. 5 – 30, 2009

110 Bloor St., west of St. Thomas from Jan. 5 – 13, 2009

144 Bloor St. (A), east of Avenue Rd. from Jan. 5 – 23, 2009

144 Bloor St. (B), east of Avenue Rd. from Jan. 19 – Feb. 6, 2009

130 Bloor St., east of Avenue Rd. from Jan. 26 – Feb. 13, 2009

With respect to the Bloor Street Transformation, a preliminary schedule has been produced for Bloor St. West . At this time, construction on the water and storm network, as well as the rebuilding of hydro vaults, between Yonge St. and Avenue Rd., will begin following the schedule outlined above.

The following schedule, which was sent to us by the City’s Project Manager, was produced by the contractor, and should be used as a guideline for reference, only. It is a broad summary of the “projected†boulevard work.

Mid-April to early July, Bay St. to Yonge St., North Side

Mid-May to late August, Bay St. to Avenue Rd., North Side

Early August to mid-October, Bay St. to Yonge St., South Side

Early September to early December Bay St. to Avenue Rd., South Side

Please Note – These construction schedules have been provided to us by the City contractor. Given the extent and complexity of the project, changes to the schedule may occur

^ I guess the city does it's own thing independent of anything else that's going on. It would explain why Bazis did so much work stabilizing the perimeter of the site. They brought in dozens of truckloads of fill to ensure the stability of the north and west sides.

Ya it is strange, because I worry all of the trucks and equipment will destroy the work done on this section. Unless none of them will be entering from Bloor...

I doubt they would be entering off bloor.

Typically (I hope to give the city at least this much credit) this is something they'd be able to coordinate ahead of time.

Given my answer at the 1 bloor east sales office (yes, it doesn't mean much) that they are waiting for a certain stage of the bloor improvements project to complete means they are in some contact with the city regarding it. They're also waiting for their permit.

I don't think we have much to worry about, I really hope not. It would make no sense to see someone chopping away at the sidewalk or even driving large trucks over it.

AFAIK, they will not be providing finishing touches on the One Bloor section of Bloor Street, and just provide asphalt over, similar to the north side right now, and finish up when 1 Bloor construction is complete.

that makes sense :)

Back