Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

While tree-planting methods have changed in contrast to the old days of trees-in-boxes, they remain highly inadequate. Personally, I don't see the point to spending money on trees and labour when: 1. Trees are unprotected from vandalism and heavy winds, both of which are common downtown: 2. They are placed in narrow pits that allow neither adequate moisture and ventilation( yes, trees breathe too in their own way): 3. They are not irrigated past the two year point, when they remain small and vulnerable. 90% of the trees planted along Wellesley St. E. have succumbed over the last three years since they were planted for these various reasons. Somehow, Montreal, a much poorer city than Toronto, manages to water their downtown trees on a regular basis. As well, Montreal and New York City place "cages" around trees for a number of years until they are past the point of being vulnerable to vandalism. New rules about trees adjacent to large developments may make a difference but most downtown trees are not fortunate enough to benefit from them. We need to have a real commitment to greening our downtown streets and doing it properly. It would make the place a far more attractive and hospitable place to be.

Those are all valid points. It seems to me that at some point I remember cages around young trees here too, I could be wrong. As for Wellesley East vandalized trees keep being replaced but are eventually trashed again. Young saplings need electrified cages which also shoot pepper spray into the eyes of the offenders to give them a fighting chance. Trees on Yonge Street often meet similar fates and I even noticed two trees on Bloor St. near Holts that have been subject to vandalism.

I recently spent a couple weeks in San Francisco and the entire city is covered with beautiful healthy trees. Certainly the climate and lack of a cold winter there must have some bearing on that, but apparently they rarely get rain there between May and October. I can only imagine that everything is irrigated. Also, every single tree lining the streets is beautifully pruned and trimmed extremely high above pedestrian areas, its quite attractive. Toronto for the most part seems to be hit and miss... some areas are well cared for while others are neglected. I think we need a consistent policy and determined effort to get this city up to par!

Those are all valid points. It seems to me that at some point I remember cages around young trees here too, I could be wrong. As for Wellesley East vandalized trees keep being replaced but are eventually trashed again. Young saplings need electrified cages which also shoot pepper spray into the eyes of the offenders to give them a fighting chance. Trees on Yonge Street often meet similar fates and I even noticed two trees on Bloor St. near Holts that have been subject to vandalism.

People really are obnoxious, and I wouldn't be opposed one bit to spraying pepper spray into the eyes of vandalism offenders. What have trees ever done to anyone? Sadly trees can't protect themselves.

Except of course the Mexican fighting tree.

I think that the answer lies partly in really valuing the aesthetic, humanizing, and environmental aspects of trees. I don't think that this city has yet reached that point. We don't really value aesthetic streetscapes here. From a practical standpoint I think that the city should not plant more trees than it can take care of properly. That requires a long-term perspective because you'd probably be nurturing small stretches of downtown street trees over several years before moving on to the next batch. Trees live a long time. They don't have to be all planted at the same time, but, like kids, they need to be taken care of before they can manage on their own. I also think that the BIA's should be more involved and devote a portion of their money towards properly caring for trees along their main streets. Also, I believe that the city engineering dept is behind the lack of cages because of potential hazard/legal issues. That has to be changed.

It's not just drunk vandals or dry conditions that kill trees..... pavement can kill too

tree.jpg

^I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

With that one telling photo you've portrayed exactly how ugly and sloppy repair work in Toronto is... And, you've demonstrated the city's lack of respect for the weak trees desperately clinging to life.

I suggest sending that to the city as well as The Star and NOW etc... These are slow news days and I think this sort of topic could grab the attention of locals and local outlets.

Great pic.

FYI, this is on the north side of Wellesley just east of Church in front of "Feed Me More" pet store. This is not exclusive, I've seen similar offenses elsewhere. I will follow this up, good idea casaguy.

Yes, sadly this seems to be the standard for streetscaping in poor, broke ol' Toronto. Then again, maybe it's a deliberate shabby chic treatment?

its not broke, it spends to much money on things a city should not fund for.

20 years ago landscaping and litter cleanup was the cities tops concern.

Now its social services and transit.

its not broke, it spends to much money on things a city should not fund for.

20 years ago landscaping and litter cleanup was the cities tops concern.

Now its social services and transit.

Quite true. Still, we get the government we deserve! In Toronto the attitude seems to be that nobody seems to care if the place looks like shite as long as the government is footing the bill for all the social programs and assistance that each and every individual and/or special interest group feels entitled to.

imo society is to blame for litter...

People are so self centered that they don't care for others. Meaning we can pick up all the litter we want but people will still be throwing it away like it is nothing.

Its an attitude i have seen growing in the last 10 years. It has lead to places like Brampton and york region to become quite dirty... Even though the respective places spend massive amounts on money on litter clean up.

imo society is to blame for litter...

People are so self centered that they don't care for others. Meaning we can pick up all the litter we want but people will still be throwing it away like it is nothing.

Blame society? As in all of us? Hmm.

I guess if we all stopped picking it up, it would pile up so much that no one could throw that high.

Back