Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

The trees are hiding when I visit as well. Central Park, of course, but anywhere else they are difficult to find. Actually the relative paucity of trees is one of the first things I noticed about the city.

Fencing up along the south side of Bloor Street between Bay and Avenue Road.

I can't say for sure if it's the beginning of the streetscaping project as there are no signs that I could see but I thought I'd post a few pics. regardless

bloor-street-fencing1_Sept23-07.jpg

bloor-street-fencing2_Sept23-07.jpg

Thanks for the update. (I skipped this stretch of Bloor today.) I don't think there's any sort of marathon about to happen, so it would seem that a bunch of tree planting is about to occur. (Should we tell the city that trees, in fact, need water?)

The project looked more extensive before. Now some of the sidewalks don't seem to be getting much of an upgrade and it's just about putting in some planters and trees (which are nice). I think the whole city should look like that.

Well it is hard to plant trees above a subway line, so I'm not sure how they're doing that.

Well, it this area, neither the Bloor line nor the Yonge line run under their respective streets Phunky, but the lines are normally deep enough anyway that there can be several feet of soil to plant the trees in.

So the city understands watermains.

But they don't understand that trees need water.

The city now requires in-ground irrigation be built into street tree planters. Too bad it took so long to be required.

well trees can't vote, people can... if you don't water the people, they'll get angry. trees, on the other hand, will just shrivel up and die. then people won't be able to breathe clean air or have shade on hot days. then they'll get angry.

This project is long overdue. I'm embarrassed for Toronto - the trees currenting on Bloor are half dead, wilting, deformed or split. A street of such influence should have better sidewalks, plush trees and planters. I hope we see some 'visible' improvements by Spring. This is rediculous.

Trees and Bloor-Yorkville BIA dot com

First off, for those looking to keep up on this project, the local BIA (Business Improvement Area) has a website.

www.bloor-yorkville.com

Check out their newsletters for updates.

As I understand it, utilities construction is this year and early next, with streetscaping in 2008/2009.

The project was first conceived of 10 years ago....

But they had to get the money first.

This is by far the most expensive streetscape project in the history of the City of Toronto.

Its currently estimated at $20,000,000 (no mistake in the number of zeros there)

Their currently picking out the plant material.......their looking at Ginkos for some/all of the new street trees.

Not very Canadian...but pretty enough, and pretty durable.

The new planters are going to be multi-tree, deep-soil, auto-irrigated)

The other elements include decorative sidewalk treatment, completely new pedestrian lighting (wonder what they're going to do with the existing fixtures??), narrowing the road (no more parking on Bloor), and a few other goodies.

Major facade improvements are also being discussed.

As for Toronto's street trees in general...

All newly planted Toronto trees are watered for two years.

Toronto no longer allows areas to be planted using the old-style box planters.

Any trees now have to be added in pits, trenches or extended lenght planters that hold more soil and more moisture.

Auto-irrigation is also required for any major new development, with respect to the adjacent streetscape.

Unfortunately, there is no money right now to water older trees.

Which is a year of record low rainfall, have not been faring well at all.

Northern Light - thank you for such a comprehensive post!

While tree-planting methods have changed in contrast to the old days of trees-in-boxes, they remain highly inadequate. Personally, I don't see the point to spending money on trees and labour when: 1. Trees are unprotected from vandalism and heavy winds, both of which are common downtown: 2. They are placed in narrow pits that allow neither adequate moisture and ventilation( yes, trees breathe too in their own way): 3. They are not irrigated past the two year point, when they remain small and vulnerable. 90% of the trees planted along Wellesley St. E. have succumbed over the last three years since they were planted for these various reasons. Somehow, Montreal, a much poorer city than Toronto, manages to water their downtown trees on a regular basis. As well, Montreal and New York City place "cages" around trees for a number of years until they are past the point of being vulnerable to vandalism. New rules about trees adjacent to large developments may make a difference but most downtown trees are not fortunate enough to benefit from them. We need to have a real commitment to greening our downtown streets and doing it properly. It would make the place a far more attractive and hospitable place to be.

bloor-street-fencing1_Sept23-07.jpg

I noticed that several floors of that big black brute are now vacant - isn't this building slated for a major modernist makeover?

I believe they're making it look less Modernist, if I recall the renderings that were posted hereabouts some time ago.

Back