Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

From NRU - June 13, 2008

Yonge-Bloor intensification settled

In a decision issued June 4, board members Aristotle Christou and Jan de Pencier Seaborn allowed an appeal by The Bloor Street Neighbourhood Inc. against a decision of the committee of adjustment to deny minor variances related to a proposed 32-storey mixed-use building to be located at 38-40 Charles Street East and 35 Hayden Street, southeast of Yonge Street and Bloor Street East.

The variances requested include an increase in the maximum number of residential units on one portion of the site from 276 to 357, an increase in the permitted residential gross floor area from 19,640 to 28,225-sq.m. and an increase in the permitted building height from 54.5 to 87.2 metres. The Bloor Street Neighbourhood also proposes 622-sq.m. of indoor residential amenity space and no outdoor amenity space, though the by-law requires 714-sq.m. each of indoor and outdoor amenity space.

The board was informed that a settlement had been reached and all parties were in support of the variances. The decision notes that the increase in the permitted number of units is considered minor because of the location of the proposed development.

John Gladki (GHK International) provided planning evidence in support of the settlement and the variances. Gladki testified that the proposal is consistent with the official plan policies on intensified, downtown growth in close proximity to public transit. Gladki noted that several live/work units will also be included at ground level.

Vehicle and pedestrian connections will be provided, streetscape improvements will be implemented and a heritage building at 30 Charles Street will be maintained.

The board allowed the appeal, authorizing the minor variances. Solicitors John Dawson and Chris Tanzola (McCarthy Tétrault) represented The Bloor Street Neighbourhood Inc. Robert Statton acted as agent for the Hayden Street Ratepayers. Solicitor Chris Tzekas (WeirFoulds) represented Nomos Investments Limited. Solicitor Nupur Malaviya (Davies Howe) represented Toking Properties. (See OMB Case No. PL080149.)

At 87.2 metres, each of the 32 floors will barely get an 8 foot ceiling if the ground floor and/or penthouse are higher than regular floors. BSN is going to be really bargain basement, ain't it?

Casaguy - will your unit in Casa face BSN, or face away from it?

My unit will face BSN out of one side, but I will be several floors above it still.

(I thought we already knew weeks ago that it was going to be 32 floors.)

Edit: Yes we did know... a worker on site had informed me on May 13th.

2.7m or 8ft ceilings was pretty much the standard when this building first began marketing.

^What exactly does that mean?

"Mr. Statton, representing the Hayden Street Ratepayers, indicated his concurrence with the settlement and considers it appropriate and desirable. He welcomes the proposed pedestrian treatment, landscaping and improvements to the project made by the developer."

from the OMB Decision dated June 4, 2008

I hope that answers your question, that's all I can gather.

"Mr. Statton, representing the Hayden Street Ratepayers, indicated his concurrence with the settlement and considers it appropriate and desirable. He welcomes the proposed pedestrian treatment, landscaping and improvements to the project made by the developer."

Sidewalks for everybody!

June 12

Looking east. One more floor to go for the third setback.
2577619523_df99037fdc_b.jpg

It appears they are not adding more floors before each set back, so I can only assume they'll be adding the extra six floors to the tower portion.

Forgive my harsh cut-and-paste skills, but I assume the finished building will now look something like this:

32bsn2ready.jpg

Versus the original render and original model...

bsnrender.jpg
BSNmodel.jpg

This project is beginning to grow on me. It might fit in quite nicely once its immediate neighbours CASA and 1 Bloor are up. (As well as an apparent 33 floor tower right next to CASA.)

I don't know, I'm more with Redroom and Casaguy here....it is starting to grow on me a little. Perhaps it's the extra height?

Back