Toronto Bloor & Dufferin | 122.35m | 37s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel unusually pessimistic about this. Poor choices led me to tacobell at croatia and dufferin last night, and sitting there I just COULD NOT imagine this.
Sure it is beautiful. But with Galleria so close I just question if this area can take this much gentrification. It is one thing to sell and build the condos. I can imagine that. But if this AND Galleria expect to have extensive 'charming' retail. I dunno. maybe I'm wrong but I suspect that best case scenario this gets a shoppers, a thai express a bank and a marks work wearhouse. And thats me being optimistic.

Yeah, I didn't really feel good about it after the open house. They talk a good game and even these highly preliminary renderings are lovely - HP can do great work. But it felt like The Galleria or The Well. Just sort of generically affluent. I don't see my neighbourhood in these images. I'm not sure I see any neighbourhood in these images.

So go shop on Bloor.

There are countless small-scale, independent retailers from Lansdowne all the way to Spadina. I'd rather see these parcels (Bloor/Dufferin, Galleria) get developed into the sorts of mega projects that are in the pipeline than developers assembling the storefronts directly on Bloor as is happening altogether too quickly on Yonge. There's little charm or pedestrian-focused urbanism here - there's tons of it there. Which would you rather see redeveloped?

Dufferin Road's time has come. From Yorkdale down to the lake it will be fully cleaned up in the next 15 years. I am not worried about the retail and if the area can handle it. I am much more concerned about traffic along Dupont and Dufferin.

I agree. Dufferin has tremendous potential. It's a high traffic artery that seems to have escaped the development boom. Its time has come.

The Galleria and Dufferin Mall will anchor development that will radiate from those nodes. Right now, it's all single family homes around a major intersection with a subway stop. There's plenty of room for density along this corridor from Dupont down to the lake.

YES, Dufferin as largely a corridor of single-family homes is ripe for development of the "missing middle" midrise built form. What can the city do to help or encourage those property owners to contribute to that change?

I agree - I hate that huge swaths of Dufferin downtown consist of detached houses. It's bizarre. At the very least, I wish those homes could be converted to retail uses.

I agree - I hate that huge swaths of Dufferin downtown consist of detached houses. It's bizarre. At the very least, I wish those homes could be converted to retail uses.
Not only that but the houses on Duffrin are so ugly! You don't see the charming, old houses you see in other central districts.

Ugh. Dufferin has got to be my least favourite major north south street. Appropriately my phone always auto corrects it to suffering street.

Does anyone plan to mention the horrid strip malls north of Eglinton, which I'd argue is way uglier than the houses that everyone's complaining about?

Well we were talking about the densest part downtown, which strangely is lined with detached old houses. The section north of Eglinton is a thousand times worse. Demo it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back