Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

So Porter is moving to Pearson then?

They could use Ottawa or Montreal (or even Waterloo) as a hub for long distance trips too. Continue using dash-8's within Toronto/triangle and offer connections in Montreal for longer distance trips to Florida, carribean, central america.

They might even make Vancouver/Hawaii and Halifax/Manchester trips as they're just within range.

Last edited:
They could use Ottawa or Montreal (or even Waterloo) as a hub for long distance trips too. Continue using dash-8's within Toronto/triangle and offer connections in Montreal for longer distance trips to Florida, carribean, central america.

They might even make a Vancouver/Hawaii and Halifax/Manchester trips as they're just within range.

They could operate out of both Pearson and Billy Bishop too, with BB for the local routes and Pearson for the longer distance ones.

Reactions: rbt
I might be totally wrong here, but I googled it and got an impression that A220 are turboprops.

In any case, their speed is quoted as 829 kph typical, 871 kph max. That's about 100-150 kph below the typical speed of the large transatlantic jets in service now.
I think someone's credibility just got the flush.

So Porter is moving to Pearson then?
I don't think they'd be going for a jet with an astonishingly low runway length requirement if they were planning to move to Pearson..

E2 should be able to land at Toronto Island now with currently published lengths and requirements. And presumably would be popular with locals given they are quieter than what Porter is currently flying.

I don't think they'd be going for a jet with an astonishingly low runway length requirement if they were planning to move to Pearson..

E2 should be able to land at Toronto Island now with currently published lengths and requirements. And presumably would be popular with locals given they are quieter than what Porter is currently flying.
It will be very tight...the E2 needs 3979 ft to get up

08/26 at BB is 3988 ft

Runway 08/26
Dimensions:3988 x 150 feet.
Surface:
Remarksgrooved ASPH
Runway 08Runway 26
Runway Heading:082°262°
Approach LightsVisual Alignment Guidance System and Runway ID Lights (Rotating Beacons)
Glide Slope IndicatorPAPI for aircraft with eye-to-wheel height up to 10 feet., APAPI - Abbreviated PAPI for aircraft with eye-to-wheel height up to 10 feet.

I'm not sure it would matter. As soon as the word "jet" appears, the battle would be on.

I'm not sure it would matter. As soon as the word "jet" appears, the battle would be on.
And so it should be. I hear the turboprops approaching the airport. I'll fight to ban turboprops in favour of quieter jets when there are quieter options! Who wouldn't?

And so it should be. I hear the turboprops approaching the airport. I'll fight to ban turboprops in favour of quieter jets when there are quieter options! Who wouldn't?
I think he/she is referring to the fact that as soon as residents hear the word "jet", there will be vast protests against jets landing in Billy Bishop simply because they are jets.

There is the common misconception that jets are louder than turboprops, regardless of what the size of a jet aircraft is.

Couple of notes before getting too excited:

(i) The article says "Embraer confirmed a deal for 30 195-E2’s last month but did not disclose the buyer’s identity". E-195 is the largest version of the E series and requires 1,805 m / 5,922 ft for takeoff with the maximum load. Even for shorter range flights (less fuel loaded) it still requires 1305 m / 4281 ft. More data here

(ii) The existing main runway is 1,216m / 3,998 ft . Note that this is not including the required extension to comply with the new RESA requirements. More data here

(iii) The Tripartite Agreement (1983) prohibits the use of "jets" regardless of their noise profile (other than emergencies).

(iv) The Tripartite Agreement (1983) prohibits the addition of runways or extension to runways. On the other hand, apparently PortsToronto is still trying its chance; here

In the light of above, my guess (total speculation) is, if it is indeed the Porter Airlines buying these planes, they probably already agreed on a lucrative bail-out plan with the Liberal Government, which may include a condition to move all or some of their operations to the Pearson Airport.

(iii) The Tripartite Agreement (1983) prohibits the use of "jets" regardless of their noise profile (other than emergencies).

(iv) The Tripartite Agreement (1983) prohibits the addition of runways or extension to runways. On the other hand, apparently PortsToronto is still trying its chance; here
I'd assume that Ontario and Canada would have to amend the agreement. I can't see Ontario fighting hard against this, currently. And the current government has made it very clear it's willing to overrule the city on almost any issue.

Back