News   Jul 24, 2024
 181     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 701     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 726     1 

Toronto - Bills series not a hit

I think the Jays are on track to be competitive, with a good manager and farm system, and I take that to be positive. They might even get lucky and challenge for the post season at some point, but they're in the toughest division. At least we get to see the big boys more often. I have zero affinity for the cable companies, but at the very least, Rogers has brought big league American football to Toronto. I tuned into the Argos-Ticats game last week for old times' sake, and the colourful fans in Hamilton were great.

That was the only sellout of the year.

^Not sure what your point is. If Southern Ontario football fans are ignoring the CFL because of some misplaced refusal to watch anything but the NFL, they're missing out. Besides, the NFL has little to no interest in putting a team in Toronto. It would be shooting itself in the foot when it comes to its Canadian fanbase.

Upon all this an Olympic Stadium will be more that 70,000. No scaling back that.
Sure there is. In Toronto's last Olympic bid a large number of the stadium's seats would have been temporary.

First off I have an agros Jersey and I watch the games. I do know they are 5-4 this and they did crap at labour day. Its just that the Cats don't sell out either. That was my point. And what canadian fanbase? No one out west cares about the NFL.
They have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Putting aside that the chances of Rogers extending the Bills deal beyond 2012 are questionable at best, the chances of Ralph Wilson and the Bills agreeing to a much lower price are exactly zero.

Based on what exactly? It just comes down to dollars. If Rogers can offer them more for a game than they would make having it there, I don't see why they wouldn't accept.

And since August 1 the Orioles lead the division in wins (tied with NY) with 21, so they must have the brightest future of all, right?

The Jays are 19-18 vs the Central and 15-12 vs the West, hardly overwhelming evidence. 7-11 vs the NL is even less convincing.

Considering we played 17 out of 28 games in August against TB NYY and BOS (ie 3 of the best.. if not THE best teams in the league).. i'm not surprised.

This year was not supposed to be a contending year. In fact before the season started, most of the media (ESPN, FOX, etc), had us pegged at DEAD LAST in the american league. I'd say we've more than plesantly surprised this season.

Are you just generally a negative person for the sake of it?

^Not sure what your point is. If Southern Ontario football fans are ignoring the CFL because of some misplaced refusal to watch anything but the NFL, they're missing out. Besides, the NFL has little to no interest in putting a team in Toronto. It would be shooting itself in the foot when it comes to its Canadian fanbase.

If the NFL has little to no interest in putting a team in Toronto, why'd they let the Bills play in Toronto?

The ONLY reason for that is because it's tiny (I believe the smallest park in all of MLB), and because it's ALWAYS full.

Go back to 1990-1994 when the dome was packed with 50,000 people every single night and tell me the atmosphere at Fenway was any better.

I was there when the Jays were winning Championships. I found that the atmpshere was just not the same. Torontonians by nature are much quieter. I'd rather watch a game at old Yankee Stadium and Fenway (yes, even when they weren't selling out) over the Concrete scrap that is the Rogers Centre. They need to either renovate or get rid of that ugly hotel.

The NL has blown since the lockout. The Jays would be in playoff position in the NL Central.
Anything is possible, but you don't have much of a case using that standard since the Jays have the fourth worst inter-league record among AL teams up to 2009.

I'm for this because I want to sucessfully bring Toronto to the NFL.
Good for you! I suggest you start working lots of overtime.

Based on what exactly? It just comes down to dollars. If Rogers can offer them more for a game than they would make having it there, I don't see why they wouldn't accept.
Based on the fact that the NFL NEVER disounts its product. I would allow for the possibility that the Bills might agree to a slightly lower fee, but a huge reduction? Not a chance.

Are you just generally a negative person for the sake of it?
No.

First off I have an agros Jersey and I watch the games. I do know they are 5-4 this and they did crap at labour day. Its just that the Cats don't sell out either. That was my point. And what canadian fanbase? No one out west cares about the NFL.
They have nothing to lose.
They have plenty to lose. While the CFL is a lot bigger out west, there are still plenty of NFL fans. If the CFL goes bankrupt then those people aren't going to follow the NFL anymore. It would be like basketball - a big follolwing in the GTA but nowhere else. Football in Canada is strengthened by a strong CFL, and that benefits the NFL bottom line.

If the NFL has little to no interest in putting a team in Toronto, why'd they let the Bills play in Toronto?
The Patriots played in London. Real Madrid played in Toronto. That doesn't mean we're going to see Real Toronto or the England Patriots anytime soon.

They have plenty to lose. While the CFL is a lot bigger out west, there are still plenty of NFL fans. If the CFL goes bankrupt then those people aren't going to follow the NFL anymore. It would be like basketball - a big follolwing in the GTA but nowhere else. Football in Canada is strengthened by a strong CFL, and that benefits the NFL bottom line.

The Patriots played in London. Real Madrid played in Toronto. That doesn't mean we're going to see Real Toronto or the England Patriots anytime soon.

If they are NFL fans, why would they care if the CFL went bankrupt(not likely)

Besides the GTA is the richest region in Canada, and if they got the money what else matters.

What I think it all comes down to for any of the professional sports leagues is matching supply with demand and price. Just because Rogers misfired by overpricing the NFL games here it doesn't mean there's no demand.

What I think it all comes down to for any of the professional sports leagues is matching supply with demand and price. Just because Rogers misfired by overpricing the NFL games here it doesn't mean there's no demand.

The truth at the end of the day.

Why was TorontoFC so good right from the outset. It even says in the article I posted the the NFL said it was a sucess.

If they are NFL fans, why would they care if the CFL went bankrupt(not likely)
I think you misunderstood me. They're CFL fans first but they follow both. Their passion for their local teams drives their interest in NFL football. Just like the popularity of MLS soccer is increasing the popularity (and profits) of the big European leagues in North America. A bankrupt CFL would mean a lot fewer Canadians following the NFL, even if they had a team in Toronto.

Back