284     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 280     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 804     0 

Toronto - Bills series not a hit

It boils down to two things:

1) It's the Bills

2) Rogers severely miss guessed the demand and thought they could charge an outrageous amount for tickets for such a mediocre product (should of asked MLSE for help).

Lessons learned for when TO does actually get its own team.

^ uh, the Vikings don't play in Buffalo this year. They can't put games at the Dome against teams they're not supposed to be playing. And, for pre-season games, while the Bills can suggest teams they'd like to play, the league makes the schedule and has the final say.

Anyways...
I was at the game tonight only because my gf and I got free tickets from her work. Each ticket was valued at $225 and they were 1st row, 200 level at the 40 yard line. That's insanity for a pre-season football game.

To me, this entire debacle can be blamed on two things. First, they forced people to initially purchase tickets to all 8 games up front. Second, the priced the games at double their worth. Cheaper and more flexible pricing schemes would have made it a success, or at least a lot more successful than it ended up being.

should of asked MLSE for help
Why, what do they know?

Announced attendance was 39,583. That doesn't just stretch credibility, it hits it over the head with a nuclear bomb.

By 2012 the NFL will likely have an 18 game regular season with 2 preseason games as part of a new collective agreement. The so-called smaller market teams like Buffalo, Cincinnati and Jacksonville were/are not satisfied with the current agreement. Draw your own conclusions what the new one might mean to the Bills.

^ uh, the Vikings don't play in Buffalo this year. They can't put games at the Dome against teams they're not supposed to be playing. And, for pre-season games, while the Bills can suggest teams they'd like to play, the league makes the schedule and has the final say.

Anyways...
I was at the game tonight only because my gf and I got free tickets from her work. Each ticket was valued at $225 and they were 1st row, 200 level at the 40 yard line. That's insanity for a pre-season football game.

To me, this entire debacle can be blamed on two things. First, they forced people to initially purchase tickets to all 8 games up front. Second, the priced the games at double their worth. Cheaper and more flexible pricing schemes would have made it a success, or at least a lot more successful than it ended up being.

To move here!!....

Why, what do they know?

Announced attendance was 39,583. That doesn't just stretch credibility, it hits it over the head with a nuclear bomb.

By 2012 the NFL will likely have an 18 game regular season with 2 preseason games as part of a new collective agreement. The so-called smaller market teams like Buffalo, Cincinnati and Jacksonville were/are not satisfied with the current agreement. Draw your own conclusions what the new one might mean to the Bills.

So what in your opinion should they do to fix it?

So what in your opinion should they do to fix it?

I think the damage is already done.

I'm a HUGE football fan...I purchse Sunday Ticket and don't leave my house on Sundays during the fall. I would never pass up the chance to go to a football game in my own backyard. But here are the reasons why I (and many other huge football fans) didn't go to any of the games:

1) The Bills suck. Also, preseason games are a waste of time since the starters only play for 1 quarter.
2) The ticketing fiasco. Pricing was ridiculous ( you can buy a $50 ticket to a game in Buffalo which way better atmosphere)
3) Oh yea, the Skydome is a sucky ass place to watch a football game
4) They blocked off the first 10 or so rows for what reason? Oh yes, advertising. Terribly pathetic
5) Probably the funnest part about going to a football game is the tailgating and the way that was handled was another laugh.

Rogers saw an opportunity at a cash grab and ran with it. I refuse to support this garbage. Toronto and football just won't work. Hopefully the Bills move somewhere else.

Looking at the business aspect of the Bills series in Toronto, it has been nothing but a success for the Bills and the NFL. Rogers on the other hand, they will lose about 20-30 million dollars but does the NFL really care? Nope. $78 million got pumped into a small market team, the NFL continues to internationalize its brand, in Canada, Mexico and England... and it basically has one of the biggest telecommunications companies in Canada in its back pocket.

When looking at an actual franchise based in TO... 5-10 years down the road, that will be interesting to see. Sole ownership will be an issue, the league doesn't allow corporations to own teams so what single person will ante up the $800 million for a team? And then looking at building a new stadium, that's another $500 million and then trying to negotiate a largeeee TV rights deal from a Canadian broadcaster. It's going to take a lot.

Too bad that article is wrong and that there was more like 40,000 there. By the end of the game there was 20,000, but it was all downhill once the starters were taken off.

Also, we can't use this as any sort of basis for whether a team would work in Toronto.
Finally, what's wrong with being "stuck" with the CFL? It's a huge part of Canadian culture and it's a fine league. A lot of people actually prefer it to the NFL as its far more action packed and exciting. NFL games can really plod along and there are a lot of bad teams in the NFL.

Too bad that article is wrong and that there was more like 40,000 there. By the end of the game there was 20,000, but it was all downhill once the starters were taken off.

Also, we can't use this as any sort of basis for whether a team would work in Toronto.
Finally, what's wrong with being "stuck" with the CFL? It's a huge part of Canadian culture and it's a fine league. A lot of people actually prefer it to the NFL as its far more action packed and exciting. NFL games can really plod along and there are a lot of bad teams in the NFL.

10 years ago the CFL was about to die. 20 years ago the CFL was doing well like today. The severe turn over rate turns me off. Also the fact 2/3 of the league makes the playoffs in a 8 team league. Expansion has also taken way too long.

But this is about the bills.

As for the article, do you think we need new stadiums for the Jays and 80,000 seat general stadium now?

Looking at the business aspect of the Bills series in Toronto, it has been nothing but a success for the Bills and the NFL. Rogers on the other hand, they will lose about 20-30 million dollars but does the NFL really care? Nope. $78 million got pumped into a small market team, the NFL continues to internationalize its brand, in Canada, Mexico and England... and it basically has one of the biggest telecommunications companies in Canada in its back pocket.

When looking at an actual franchise based in TO... 5-10 years down the road, that will be interesting to see. Sole ownership will be an issue, the league doesn't allow corporations to own teams so what single person will ante up the $800 million for a team? And then looking at building a new stadium, that's another $500 million and then trying to negotiate a largeeee TV rights deal from a Canadian broadcaster. It's going to take a lot.

Larry Tanebaum will be the face of ownership.

Back