589     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 885     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Expansion in the North-west continues with these stations:

Bert Robinson Park
Marlee and York Beltline Trail
Eglinton W and Ennerdale

This brings the network to 643 docks total.

At least another 25 are due over the remainder of the month.

Bike Share Toronto hopes new partner will help stem financial bleeding​

Yes and the usual suspects (think Holyday!) are complaining that Bike Share loses money.

1668607417361.png

I thought that even he might now realise that bike sharing is a SERVICE (like plowing snow or running the TTC). Yes, it costs money but brings huge benefits to the City - including getting more vehicles off the roads, Sigh!!

So according to Holyday's philosophy, we should cut all services that the city runs at a loss because apparently the city is a profit-maximizing firm. So let's cut the TTC, Toronto Police, Toronto Fire, etc. because they all run at a loss.

This man is a dope who's rode his father's coattails into a career he's not fit to be in.

It seems to me that Bike Share is a huge success in terms of value created for the city for the relatively small subsidy it requires. Between decongesting roads for car/uber trips and decongesting bus/streetcars, the positive impact is significant and growing. The subsidy required is around $0.65 per ride (2022 ridership projected at 4.3M vs $2.77M projected loss next year), which is less than a lot of transit trips.

I hear some cities are having luck with charging a premium for ebikes, perhaps to the point that the system could break even.

Bikeshare Toronto has moved from the north-west, to the south-west and is now rolling out its expansion within @interchange42 's dominion.

The first two new stations are both up on Bloor, one at Old Mill Station and the next on Prince Edward Drive at Bloor.

1668635187614.png

5 more stations to do in this area, in the next week or so, including Royal York/Bloor, what looks to be one just a bit west of the current one on Berry; Park Lawn and Queensway, Parklawn just south of the Gardiner, and, I think one down the condo alley running west off Park Lawn south of the Gardiner.

Looks like there's still a couple more to go up along Eglinton West; then the big remaining rollout for fall is Leaside/Thorncliffe/Flemingdon

How does Toronto compare to the Bike Share programs across other cities?
London for example has Santander as sponsor, anyone know if they operate on a loss as well?
Couldn't find that info

NYC's Citi Bike, (lead sponsor Citi Bank) is profitable.

But it also has gobs of sponsorship dollars, and is materially larger than Toronto's system.

Its currently somewhere north of 1,000 stations, well over 30,000 bikes, and in the process of further expansion.

That said, NYC may look at subsidizing the service to drive further expansion and uptake.

Bikeshare Toronto has moved from the north-west, to the south-west and is now rolling out its expansion within @interchange42 's dominion.

The first two new stations are both up on Bloor, one at Old Mill Station and the next on Prince Edward Drive at Bloor.

View attachment 439574

5 more stations to do in this area, in the next week or so, including Royal York/Bloor, what looks to be one just a bit west of the current one on Berry; Park Lawn and Queensway, Parklawn just south of the Gardiner, and, I think one down the condo alley running west off Park Lawn south of the Gardiner.

Looks like there's still a couple more to go up along Eglinton West; then the big remaining rollout for fall is Leaside/Thorncliffe/Flemingdon
It's good to see these arriving in the area. The one west on Berry will be at Park Lawn. The condo alley one you refer to would be at Manitoba and Legion. I wish there was another one planned for outside of Brentwood Library a long block west of Royal York at Bloor, and I also believe there should be one at Humber Valley Road and Riverwood Parkway: a lot of people living in the apartments in the area who head to Old Mill station via the Humber Trail route (and vice versa) would benefit from that. (The Bell Manor and Berry station is not that close to them, and down a hill to boot.)

Anyway, these all represent suggested locations that I sent to Mark Grimes about two years ago (including those two missing ones I mentioned, too bad, will keep pushing for those…), so overall I am pleased!

It's good to see these arriving in the area. The one west on Berry will be at Park Lawn. The condo alley one you refer to would be at Manitoba and Legion. I wish there was another one planned for outside of Brentwood Library a long block west of Royal York at Bloor, and I also believe there should be one at Humber Valley Road and Riverwood Parkway: a lot of people living in the apartments in the area who head to Old Mill station via the Humber Trail route (and vice versa) would benefit from that. (The Bell Manor and Berry station is not that close to them, and down a hill to boot.)

Anyway, these all represent suggested locations that I sent to Mark Grimes about two years ago (including those two missing ones I mentioned, too bad, will keep pushing for those…), so overall I am pleased!

In the graphic below, you can't see most street names, but you can generally surmise most spots chosen for the rollout:

1668638181989.png

Yellow is this fall's expansion.

Red is spring/early summer 2023

Grey is existing, Blue 2024, and Purple 2025

You'll be able to pick on some exact spots I can't, but it looks like a decent sized gap on Bloor, then Islington TTC, an intermediate location, then Kipling TTC, in 2023

Then one spot further west Queensway.

The balance being new spots at or near Lake Shore, including Islington and Kipling; plus 3 new spots in the Waterfront Park system, including Humber Bay Park, and Col. Sam

NYC's Citi Bike, (lead sponsor Citi Bank) is profitable.

But it also has gobs of sponsorship dollars, and is materially larger than Toronto's system.

Its currently somewhere north of 1,000 stations, well over 30,000 bikes, and in the process of further expansion.

That said, NYC may look at subsidizing the service to drive further expansion and uptake.

I would suggest that the talk/expectation of profit from bike share is NOT the way to look at this. Bike Share is another City service that has some level of cost-recovery. One might want 100% recovery but, considering how it advances other City priorities (e.g. reducing CO2) it should NEVER be expected to return a profit. Should it get so much sponsorship that a profit was a regular thing, this should be spent on MORE service/bikes or lower fees.

Back