News   Apr 23, 2024
 716     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 409     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Agreed; though there are lots of gaps at the edges of the network, in the Upper Beach, East York, Leaside, Oakwood-Vaughan etc.

Then there are the obvious expansion targets.
Oakwood and Holland Park, Oakwood and Vaughan, and Vaughan and Alameda now have stations.

Still none for the western section of the Beltline.

I meant for recreational use.
No, for recreational use I wanted the highest quality, lightest and most comfortable bikes I can afford. I bought a Breezer Downtown 8 with internal hub gearing, leather grips and seat. https://www.the-house.com/qbzdt848rdc16zz-breezer-bikes.html

See my bike here https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-islands.30043/#post-1452415

After a lifetime on cheapo mountain bikes I love this bike. I think I paid about $1,200, or about four times the cost of a Canadian Tire bike, We bought a rear carrier for the SUV so that we can do cycling trips in Niagara or closer areas.

If you can swing it financially, life is to short to settle for a cheapo, heavy, POS bicycle.

Last edited:
Bikeshare's greatest benefit is flexibility in single direction trips. I love it for that reason - you can travel somewhere, and not use the same mode back if need be. I own a bike and use bikeshare regularly, if not even more often than my own bike, because of that. Daily commuting trips are just easier on bike share as you can adjust your travel mode as required (raining? Take the TTC back, etc.)

Bikeshare's greatest benefit is flexibility in single direction trips. I love it for that reason - you can travel somewhere, and not use the same mode back if need be. I own a bike and use bikeshare regularly, if not even more often than my own bike, because of that. Daily commuting trips are just easier on bike share as you can adjust your travel mode as required (raining? Take the TTC back, etc.)
Absolutely! I have my own bike which I use for 'pleasure rides"; I also use BikeShare to make one way trips - a good walk outbound and a good (faster) bike trip home or vice versa.

Oh yes, that's exactly how I used it. I used to work near the Port Credit GO station so would grab the bikeshare and ride to/from Union each day. But with Covid and likely a near permanent move to WFH I just don't have any one way trips to cycle. We use the car for grocery runs (Loblaws, Costco), walk to the local Shoppers Drug Mart or bakery. We're pretty much not going anyplace else.

Last edited:
During normal times, I was using bikeshare daily and used my own bike only a handful of times per year.

During normal times, I was using bikeshare daily and used my own bike only a handful of times per year.
That's pretty much what I'm doing. I only use my own bike if I need to use it for a specific reason. Bike share is way more flexible and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

Seeing as it is owned by the city, it would be great if they integrated it with TTC fares. Something like free bikeshare membership with monthly pass or free transfers to/from bikeshare with a TTC fare paid. Integrate with presto. I imagine it is cheaper for the city if people right a bikeshare bike to a station than take the bus.

Seeing as it is owned by the city, it would be great if they integrated it with TTC fares. Something like free bikeshare membership with monthly pass or free transfers to/from bikeshare with a TTC fare paid. Integrate with presto. I imagine it is cheaper for the city if people right a bikeshare bike to a station than take the bus.
Each subway station (excluding Highway 407 and VMC as they are outside city limits) should also have its own BikeShare station.

Back