News   May 24, 2024
 7.7K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 456     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Its also often faster and more predictable than the ttc with its constant delays.
I've left the car at home and commuted on GoTrain five times now, and not once considered taking the TTC home from Union. BikeShare gets me from/to Union to home near Riverdale Farm in 15 mins or less. TTC would take double that.

I may be a converted intercity transit user, but it'll take a lot more to get me to ditch the car (or now BikeShare) for my inner city moves. On a Saturday I can take my family to the Eaton Centre and the parking cost is less than transit. We need the car, so it's not a question of insurance or maintenance costs over transit.

I've left the car at home and commuted on GoTrain five times now, and not once considered taking the TTC home from Union. BikeShare gets me from/to Union to home near Riverdale Farm in 15 mins or less. TTC would take double that.

I may be a converted intercity transit user, but it'll take a lot more to get me to ditch the car (or now BikeShare) for my inner city moves. On a Saturday I can take my family to the Eaton Centre and the parking cost is less than transit. We need the car, so it's not a question of insurance or maintenance costs over transit.

Hey, Ive said this elsewhere but just wanted to say I basically function the same way.

I bikeshare close distances/within the downtown (I have a condo in the entertainment district), and drive for further stuff/when Im lazy. There is literally never a reason for me to take transit. I like the freedom of biking/driving and I find transit depressing. Ofc I walk if its within ~10mins or so

I'm in the reverse. I can get to Union on Bikeshare no issues, and then GoTrain to Port Credit. But it's that last mile to my office from Port Credit.

Thankfully I can bring my bike onto the train during rush hour, as a reverse commuter. I'm thinking of buying one of these http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30326728/

You could also consider getting a folding bike, which would much easier to bring on public transit and doesn't have to be locked outside. I bought a Brompton bike just a few weeks ago, and now I can't imagine my life without it.

Attachments

• brompton-brompton-h6rd-2017-tempest-blue-02.JPG
    brompton-brompton-h6rd-2017-tempest-blue-02.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 296
That's why Go Transit put 100 docks right in front of Union Station. .
You really do post totally incorrect information a lot. Bike Share Toronto is nothing to do with GO Transit. It is now run by the Toronto Parking Authority . And, of course, it makes sense to have lots of bike docks at the busiest transit hub in the country.

Bike Share Toronto is nothing to do with GO Transit. It is now run by the Toronto Parking Authority.

I'm deeply sorry that all of my posts aren't 100% accurate. I guess the three times I mentioned TPA are easy to ignore but this one mistake isn't. Anyways, two of those three stations were funded by Metrolinx if you wanna get technical.

Anyway, it's almost 6:30 and there isn't a single empty dock in the financial district, so it seems like you're making statements for the sake of argument without actually using the system.

I'm posting as someone who actually uses the system and often has to walk down to Adelaide because the Queen/James and Richmond/Temperance stations are both empty. It's better in the winter because a lot fewer people use Bike Share.

There is literally never a reason for me to take transit. I like the freedom of biking/driving and I find transit depressing.
You could also consider getting a folding bike, which would much easier to bring on public transit and doesn't have to be locked outside. I bought a Brompton bike just a few weeks ago, and now I can't imagine my life without it.
I do resort to transit when I stop cycling for the season (it's getting close) or can't lock the bike up where I can see it. Two things I don't let out of my sight when left outside: The dog, and the bike. Both are invaluable.

So what would be the alternative since bikeshare bikes just aren't my thing? I could use a junker, but after riding a machine honed and tuned to be an extension of yourself, a junker is not only a bad fit, it's dangerous. I'm so attuned to knowing clearances, tractive limits and the comfort (which is far more important than many realize to prevent long-term joint damage) that I'd rather take transit or walk. Except I would consider a quality fold-up like a Brompton. It would be an investment, not my kind of machine (I'm a 531 classic kinda guy) but compared to the alternatives, a Brompton could and would work. I'd get one with an internal hub, (external gears do not winter well) put on a leather saddle, and set-up minutely to my riding needs. They're not cheap, but surprisingly agile and balanced. And you'd almost never have to lock it up, as you could take it with you in so many places. Including GO during rush hours. (I avoid peak but some trains only run during peak)

Plus, as much as they're not road performance machines with the smaller wheels, they'd be a hell of a lot safer to wipe-out on than a full-out road machine.

You've got me thinking...hanging up the bike for the season is a massive endorphin withdrawal. And now (or shortly after Xmas) would be the time to buy.

I do resort to transit when I stop cycling for the season (it's getting close) or can't lock the bike up where I can see it. Two things I don't let out of my sight when left outside: The dog, and the bike. Both are invaluable.
I've never understood folks who tie up their dog outside a shop. If you know you're going shopping, leave the dog at home.

Back