News   May 17, 2024
 123     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 604     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 844     1 

Toronto Bike Share

What's the bike you're speaking of and where did you get it customized?
Renovated by Argos Racing in Bristol, UK, 1974. Original builder unknown, possibly Falcon or Holdsworth. Argos build bikes for the UK racing team. Reynolds DB 531 tubing, very lively. I've heavily modified it since as the original components (French and Italian) wore out. I triplized cranks with a TA set for distance fast touring due to a much wider gear ratio. Pic taken in UK ten years ago when I first bought it second-hand...for 120 Pounds. It had been neglected, had to do a fair amount of work. Will detail more later if you're into classics. It's not a 'super-light'...just light, but makes up for it by being so eager.

Dcp_0002.jpg

You'll note that I still use traps, half the weight of clipless, a hell of a lot safer, greater ground clearance on quill type pedals These are Shimano Dura-Ace, greatest ground clearance of any pedals ever made, and with the right shoes, can get in and out far faster than cleat pedals. And in an accident? You fly out of them, you don't get caught.

Is it any wonder many are now rediscovering them? Almost all the work I did myself on it. Wheels rebuilt now with heavier touring rims and spokes, greater cross-section of tires, slight weight penalty, no perceptible performance loss for touring, and magnitudes tougher on back gravel roads, pot-holes and rail-trails. Both derailleurs replaced at least twice since that picture, cables, saddle (Brooks) now replaced due to wear. Same engine though...although losing a bit of compression around the sphincter valve...

Original Simplex shift levers still intact and superb...(this far predates indexed shifting).

Attachments

• Dcp_0002.jpg
    Dcp_0002.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
I need a translator for this post.
I'll be as simple as possible: This is why the Brompton appeals to me, and not the Bixis. One is a fine piece of machinery that flatters the ride, and the other just gets you there. Sometimes...

I was just looking up specs. The Brompton foldable is about 20 to 26 pounds, for a very rugged fine piece of engineering.
The actual weight of a Brompton bike depends on the model and configuration, but ranges from 9 – 12½ kg (20 – 28lbs). The weight of mudguards, pedals, etc. are included in these figures. The featured bikes here will give you an idea of what options are available.
https://totalwomenscycling.com/commuting/brompton-bikes-buyers-guide-review-tips#VZIkVLtjt4Ey44T4.97

The Bixis? Somewhere over 42 lbs, and folds only during accidents. They weigh over twice the basic weight of a Brompton.

And you can take a Brompton on trains, planes, buses and almost all other transit modes during peak times since it folds up. You can take it in restaurants, and hide it under the table.

The more I read on this, the more I'm interested...

Last edited:
The Bixis? Somewhere over 42 lbs, and folds only during accidents. They weigh over twice the basic weight of a Brompton.

And you can take a Brompton on trains, planes, buses and almost all other transit modes during peak times since it folds up. You can take it in restaurants, and hide it under the table.
The weight isn't that big of a deal for short trips.

I use Bike Share specifically because I don't have to worry about the bike once I leave it at a dock. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of taking a bike to a restaurant with me...I don't even like carrying a bag with me when I go out most of the time.

C0TfK79XEAA9PO9.jpg

For short rides and their intended purpose, these bikes are just about perfect. Generally quite comfortable, sturdy, easy to adjust seat height, simple to operate the gears/brakes, and I haven't found any with real mechanical issues. My only gripe is that I wish they had better rear fender coverage. Still possible to get a striped back when roads are wet/dirty.

Chinese bike share graveyard a monument to industry's 'arrogance'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eyard-a-monument-to-industrys-arrogance#img-1

I feel like it would be smart if some municipality purchased the graveyard and brought them over to give to residents for $5 a piece.
The cost to Toronto for the Bixi's? $4000 a piece. They're paying far too much for them, and they're Chinese made, assembled in Quebec.
The weight isn't that big of a deal for short trips.

I like the heavy bike, I feel like a tank compared to my lighter machine.

For short rides and their intended purpose, these bikes are just about perfect.
Acceleration and absolute speed aren't the concerns for cycling safety. It's nimble maneuverability, good braking and handling. "Tank" is right. If you like to go through the car in front of you rather than around it. You might want to measure how wide those bars are before passing.

This is why the Brompton and Moulton appeal to me. They are highly maneuverable, responsive, stable and self-castoring. They are engineered to perform, not leave grooves in soft pavement.

Some people like to wear construction boots when they dance...hey...what ever turns your crank. I like a deft touch, and avoiding accidents.

How about the X Bike?
This is an interesting concept. It doesn't appeal to me to ride, but looks like brilliant engineering, although I can't see how the crank mechanism works.

Tried Googling, came up empty. Any links? This *might* be a "Bic Pen" of folding bikes. Apt for some people, bog simple, light and even though apparently single speed, it might just do the 'last mile' in some circumstances and clement weather.

Acceleration and absolute speed aren't the concerns for cycling safety. It's nimble maneuverability, good braking and handling. "Tank" is right. If you like to go through the car in front of you rather than around it. You might want to measure how wide those bars are before passing.
Yet until recently there hadn't been a single death on a bike share system worldwide. I feel extremely safe on a Bike Share Bike, and use the system everyday. You on the other hand often say on this forum that you haven't even tried one.

Yet until recently there hadn't been a single death on a bike share system worldwide. I feel extremely safe on a Bike Share Bike, and use the system everyday. You on the other hand often say on this forum that you haven't even tried one.
You'd be best to Google on that claim. It's been very misrepresented and out of context. I have tried one, but not in this city. And they weigh a freakin' ton and have no balance to them.

Hey, if you like to dance in lead boots, go right ahead. It's not for everyone. How many couriers do you see riding such bikes? Why do you think that might be?

I like to avoid hazards, not slam into them.

I find the bikes are generally well-tuned, and braking is never an issue (brake and gear check is one of the first things I do when I start riding one). Slamming into something is the least of my worries.

As discussed, these aren't speedy bikes. :) And if ridden appropriately for what they were designed to do, they work really well. They track/balance really well too without wobbling. Can ride upright with minimal pressure on hands, and it cruises straight.

Maybe this kind of ride isn't for everyone, but really, they fit a perfect niche for short rides, one-way rides, multi-modal trips, etc. Yes, it would be silly for a courier work on one all day...

Hey, if you like to dance in lead boots, go right ahead. It's not for everyone. How many couriers do you see riding such bikes? Why do you think that might be?
Because they're no good for longer distances. I've already said this before. And they seem to be fine for everyone except for you for its intended use (short trips, one way trips, impromptu trips). I've yet to slam into anything on a bike share since I use my brakes when necessary.

Back