News   Mar 28, 2024
 518     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 406     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 744     0 

Toronto Bike Share

So far, one lonely new station today:

Chiltern Hill Rd / Eglinton Ave W (just west of Bathurst)

Edit: Late today it became a 3 station day:

Torresdale / Antibes Dr. (West of Bathurst, north of the Finch Hydro Corridor)
Ester Shiner Stadium (Bathurst at the Finch Hydro Corridor)

Last edited:
Emailed my former councillor Shelley Carroll to ask for bike share stations and protected bike lanes in Don Valley North. She replied saying that it's planned (didn't specify which of the two, but more likely stations IMO).

Btw we've overtaken Montreal for number of bikes and stations!

Still got a while to go to catch NYC, currently at 13,000 bikes; but expanding to 40,000 by the end of 2023!

Allowing for population, the same scale as NYC would be 7,067 bikes based on Toronto's current population (after NYC expansion).

Assuming the City grows in line with recent rates, so another 150,000-200,000 by 2023.....

A proportionate number about 7,500 bikes.

That really wouldn't be a bad number.

Though to get good coverage across the City might require a bit more.

Though to get good coverage across the City might require a bit more.
I have no complaints with how the system is expanding though. The greater density of stations in areas with coverage will help create a critical mass of users to sustain the system, which hopefully creates demand in new expansion areas as it gradually expands outwards.

Also the cycling infrastructure in much of the city needs to play catch-up. Cycling lanes on the Eglinton Connects network (expected sometime in the mid-2020s?) will probably be the biggest boon to city-wide coverage.

Found a usage map of Bikeshare Stations.

Interesting to see a couple of the far-flung new stations are getting high usage!

View attachment 256352

Edit to add: I see a few East York Stations and Beaches area ones have surprisingly low numbers.

Some of the E-Y ones are brand new.

But some, I question.

I know the Station beside Michael Garron was constantly out of bikes last year.

If there are no bikes all day, activity levels are artificially low.

Awesome. Where's the map located?

Are cycling lanes in Eglinton Connects actually funded? IIRC, Metrolinx is building lanes outside the Crosstown stations, but the city hasn’t funded the rest of the work?

Or did I misunderstand badly?

Are cycling lanes in Eglinton Connects actually funded? IIRC, Metrolinx is building lanes outside the Crosstown stations, but the city hasn’t funded the rest of the work?

Or did I misunderstand badly?

Where Eglinton requires reconstruction, due to surface track, I believe funding is in place. (could stand to be corrected)

But funding for the underground portions (except at stations) was not on the books in 2019. I don't remember if it was this year.

Where Eglinton requires reconstruction, due to surface track, I believe funding is in place. (could stand to be corrected)

But funding for the underground portions (except at stations) was not on the books in 2019. I don't remember if it was this year.

A portion around Yonge street is funded.

My understanding is that the lanes will be installed on top of the station areas, so more or less every major intersection, as well as a stretch between Avenue Road and Yonge Street. The city will have to fill in the gaps.

Got out to an early start today and went for a walk just after dawn in the Beaches area.

Notable observation, more City staff that I've seen in ages both in the parks system and on-street.

Likely over 60. Litter-pickers, lawn-mowers, gardeners, lifeguards, hydro crews, paving crews etc tc.

But I digress, I ran into a Bikeshare Toronto crew re-stocking a bike station.

So I had to inquire about the rollout.

I was told lots more stations to come; but the delays apparently have to do with a shortage of new bikes, deliveries of which were delayed due to Covid.

As more bikes come in, more stations will be rolled out.

Back