News   Oct 21, 2020
 300     0 
News   Oct 21, 2020
 372     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm planning to draft an email to Holyday's office to request bike share stations at specific locations in ward 2, though I'm a bit perplexed as to how I should word it given his less-then-favourable stance on such initiatives...

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm planning to draft an email to Holyday's office to request bike share stations at specific locations in ward 2, though I'm a bit perplexed as to how I should word it given his less-then-favourable stance on such initiatives...
I've never dealt w/Holyday.

But my 2 cents.

He doesn't want bike lanes, he probably doesn't care one way or the other about Bikeshare.

My instinct, appeal to his anti-bike lanes side.

Ask for stations along the Eglinton West Bike path, so you can connect to the Humber Trail, where there are existing docks at Scarlett and north at Lawrence.

You're telling him you'd like to bike recreationally, on trails, and stay off the damned road! LOL

Doesn't matter whether it's true, matters whether he believes you.

Stations/docks at each of Eglinton/Royal York and Eglinton/Islington is certainly a reasonable request and there's a good chance Bikeshare Toronto has 1 or 2 unallocated stations left (they did as of 2 weeks ago)

If the latter is true, it might not even mean spending any money. (right down his alley!)

Plus the City owns all the greenspace beside Eglinton, meaning it's no problem to find a spot, and no one's permission is required.

For the same reason, you'd like docks where the Humber Creek Trail runs between Islington, to the Westway and on to Royal York.

There you go, 5 docks, all on main streets, connected to the existing Bikeshare system; but appear to Holyday to avoid any need for bike lanes due to serving recreational trails.

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've never dealt w/Holyday.

But my 2 cents.

He doesn't want bike lanes, he probably doesn't care one way or the other about Bikeshare.

My instinct, appeal to his anti-bike lanes side.

Ask for stations along the Eglinton West Bike path, so you can connect to the Humber Trail, where there are existing docks at Scarlett and north at Lawrence.

You're telling him you'd like to bike recreationally, on trails, and stay off the damned road! LOL

Doesn't matter whether it's true, matters whether he believes you.

Stations/docks at each of Eglinton/Royal York and Eglinton/Islington is certainly a reasonable request and there's a good chance Bikeshare Toronto has 1 or 2 unallocated stations left (they did as of 2 weeks ago)

If the latter is true, it might not even mean spending any money. (right down his alley!)

Plus the City owns all the greenspace beside Eglinton, meaning it's no problem to find a spot, and no one's permission is required.

For the same reason, you'd like docks where the Humber Creek Trail runs between Islington, to the Westway and on to Royal York.

There you go, 5 docks, all on main streets, connected to the existing Bikeshare system; but appear to Holyday to avoid any need for bike lanes due to serving recreational trails.
Thanks NL, these are great recommendations! While I find him detestable and my inclination is to aggressively criticize his stance on many issues, I'm aware that doing so will not get me bike share stations in the ward. I agree with you that it's best to appeal to his instincts in a phony, manipulative way in order to get what I want (and what I think the people in the area can benefit from). If it yields results, I can live with making a little deal with the devil - sometimes the end justifies the means, even if the methods used are unappetizing!

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
So far, one lonely new station today:

Chiltern Hill Rd / Eglinton Ave W (just west of Bathurst)

Edit: Late today it became a 3 station day:

Torresdale / Antibes Dr. (West of Bathurst, north of the Finch Hydro Corridor)
Ester Shiner Stadium (Bathurst at the Finch Hydro Corridor)

Last edited:

kali

Member Bio
Reaction score
Emailed my former councillor Shelley Carroll to ask for bike share stations and protected bike lanes in Don Valley North. She replied saying that it's planned (didn't specify which of the two, but more likely stations IMO).

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Btw we've overtaken Montreal for number of bikes and stations!
Still got a while to go to catch NYC, currently at 13,000 bikes; but expanding to 40,000 by the end of 2023!

Allowing for population, the same scale as NYC would be 7,067 bikes based on Toronto's current population (after NYC expansion).

Assuming the City grows in line with recent rates, so another 150,000-200,000 by 2023.....

A proportionate number about 7,500 bikes.

That really wouldn't be a bad number.

Though to get good coverage across the City might require a bit more.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
Though to get good coverage across the City might require a bit more.
I have no complaints with how the system is expanding though. The greater density of stations in areas with coverage will help create a critical mass of users to sustain the system, which hopefully creates demand in new expansion areas as it gradually expands outwards.

Also the cycling infrastructure in much of the city needs to play catch-up. Cycling lanes on the Eglinton Connects network (expected sometime in the mid-2020s?) will probably be the biggest boon to city-wide coverage.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Found a usage map of Bikeshare Stations.

Interesting to see a couple of the far-flung new stations are getting high usage!

View attachment 256352

Edit to add: I see a few East York Stations and Beaches area ones have surprisingly low numbers.

Some of the E-Y ones are brand new.

But some, I question.

I know the Station beside Michael Garron was constantly out of bikes last year.

If there are no bikes all day, activity levels are artificially low.
Awesome. Where's the map located?

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are cycling lanes in Eglinton Connects actually funded? IIRC, Metrolinx is building lanes outside the Crosstown stations, but the city hasn’t funded the rest of the work?

Or did I misunderstand badly?