Hamilton Biindigen Community Hub | ?m | 9s | De dwa da dehs nye>s

Branden Simon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Biindigen Well Being Centre - A proposed 9-Storey building with three separate facilities: a Indigenous health centre, planned affordable housing with between 80-100 units, a child care and more. located on 785 Britannia Ave in Hamilton’s Mcquestion West neighbourhood.

The former St Helen Catholic School closed in 2009 will be demolished this fall

The Renderings of new Biindigen Will Being Centre (Subject to change ) I couldn’t find on the web and screenshot from CHCH news on YouTube and there will be links

https://www.ontarioaboriginalhousing.ca/news/biindigen-well-being-centre-major-achievement
https://www.ontarioaboriginalhousin...entre-set-to-build-in-mcquesten-neighbourhood
https://www.chch.com/indigenous-organizations-to-turn-old-hamilton-school-into-wellness-centre/

8ACB20D2-69EF-4A52-9733-D58E01326045.jpeg
31283844-2861-4B09-9D7D-69B028588C66.jpeg

7A3ED39D-22C5-4325-9478-E99FC9846587.jpeg

The design quality is fantastic in some respects. The organic massing and the seamless transition into the terraced landscaping is impressive. It simultaneously evokes natural landscapes in Ontario and a medieval hillside town in Europe.

On the other hand, its relationship with the street is concerning. The entrance is set far back with an overly long driveway. If the green space isn't fenced off from the street and functions as a park, that would be quite good.

Also, it's sad that a community hub couldn't reuse the school, as demolishing it will result in unnecessary carbon emissions. It appears to have high-quality Flemish-bond brickwork.

Last edited:
Additional renderings
View attachment 548491

The demolition of Old Catholic School will be coming in a few months it supposed to be demolished in the Fall of 2023 but no permits for demolition yet.
The design reminds me of the new Anishinaabe Health building under construction in Toronto.
1000004971.jpg

Finally.. curves.. lol I like it!

This one is pretty amazing - from the form that wraps over the school in their other design to the seamless transition into the terracing to the stepped layers with the stairs and the organic curves- I've ALWAYS wanted to see something like that built in hamilton but it felt like too fantastical and idea- like our cool aviary idea they proposed a while back for the city. It feels very in harmony with its surroundings which I'd love to see more builds incorporate - where you're merging with nature not supplanting it.

But yeah I echo others sentiment - what are the odds it actually gets built like this. But this IS the indigenous community.. so perhaps..

my ONLY gripe is that that one green roof isn't accessible - why not just make all the roofspace "walkable" if you're gonna make it all green - that's always been my dream - for all roofspace to be reclaimable nature space. Green roof is good though. I hope this gets built :)

Back