Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

2 questions:

First, why will re-sodding fix the dead grass issue in the medium term? Absent a sprinkler system won’t the new grass simply die again?

Second, why the berms, if that’s the right word, in the grassed areas? It seems to be a very seventies Toronto touch. It’s not as if the city is overstocked with formal, urbane squares and parks.

2 questions:

First, why will re-sodding fix the dead grass issue in the medium term? Absent a sprinkler system won’t the new grass simply die again?

Second, why the berms, if that’s the right word, in the grassed areas? It seems to be a very seventies Toronto touch. It’s not as if the city is overstocked with formal, urbane squares and parks.
You are probably right about the grass and sprinklers. About the berms, part of the rationale was to avoid these areas becoming 'shortcuts' and keep most traffic on the paths - that part worked well and I actually like the 'undulations'. EDIT: There was also the fact that the former park also had 'hills' and to save healthy trees - which do not like soil levels to rise or fall very much - the soil level could not be changed.

Last edited:
Photo from 88 Scott amenity terrace:

83F7387F-655D-4615-8D17-B1F4C87360E9.jpeg

Attachments

• 83F7387F-655D-4615-8D17-B1F4C87360E9.jpeg
    83F7387F-655D-4615-8D17-B1F4C87360E9.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 778
The grass is a innocent victim of the spectacular success of the Park. It's become a must-see, a global tourist attraction, a backdrop for joyous wedding pics, a much needed safe and entertaining oasis for folks working nearby, a gathering place for the neighborhood residents on 2 legs or 4. Big deal if they have to replace the grass. It's a park, not a museum.

In days gone by, Toronto stood out from everywhere else with Park signs that said, "Please walk on the grass". And, that's precisely what 1,000's and 1,000's of people are doing 12 months of the year. Bully for us.

Plus, it's barely been open for a year. It's a learning exercise. Definitely something that should be replicated across the entire City. We allow City Hall to burn daily thru gobs of money on idiotic schemes meant to boost the fortunes of individual Councillors or win favor from narrow special interests groups. Perhaps Berczy Park could stand as an prime example of money well spent for everyone's benefit and health.

Perhaps Berczy Park could stand as an prime example of money well spent for everyone's benefit and health.
It will stand as such, but only if it's properly maintained. The fact that it has become so important so quickly should give it priority—even to the point of (gasp) spending money on maintenance.

Even the nicest parks in Europe sometimes suffer from some dead grass. Cormier has said (as noted above) that they are working on re-sodding and I'm sure given the popularity the city will have keen interest to keep up maintenance here. As a whole the city does a pretty good job with tourist locations.

You are probably right about the grass and sprinklers. .

There are options in regards to the grass, depending on why it's failing.

I see 2 failed spots in the photos on this page, one is along the top of one of the berms.

As this is unlikely to be a desire line (people made pathway) that's causing the fail, it's likey a drainage issue related to the berm.

Assuming no appetite to dig up the berm and revisit the soil composition, I would suggest substituting the Kentucky Blue Grass (which is what 95% of all sod is) with a drought-tolerate ornamental grass.

This would look terrific and avoid the cost of irrigation or changing up the soil.

In regards to the patch of dead grass on the flatter, larger section towards to the western side of the park, that looks more like compaction/overuse.

That would afford 2 choices. One is as suggested by some, harsdcaping the area

While that could be done, I'm not sure it's necessary or the prettiest choice.

The other is to substitute the sod for something people will choose not to walk over.

This could be a spot for a signature annual flower bed, which could be changed up for every season.

One could also split the difference I suppose and create a narrow path of paving stones w/new landscaping to one side.

But i think I would go w/a flower bed or landscape feature, and I would block off the entry point with additional seating (bench)

I would like to see the flower bed mimic the fountain with 3 well defined tiers, each edged w/stone mimicing the style chosen for the fountain.

Then layer up for a summer featuring bright purple trailing petunias falling over the edge of the first layer, backed by white snap dragons; followed by ageratum (a low blue flower) backed by by bright Red Snap Dragons.

Then finish w/something big, robust and pink w/phosphorescent green leaves around it, maybe sweet potato vine.

Just my 2 cents.

Back