Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

I do hope that Berczy kickstarts better quality and whimsical parks. Brown, patchy grass, a few struggling trees, benches with butts strewn around, and grey pavers don't cut it.

Since we don't have too many notable Kings, dictators, or explorers in our past, worshiping animals as sculptures in our public spaces is wonderful. It shows off our fun side...that we need more of.

I'd love something with raccoons. The L Tower raccoon alone is sculpture-worthy. The IKEA monkey, and the various escapees from the High Park zoo are all notable in their achievements, too ;)

Given that raccoons wash their food (or at least behave in a way that looks like that), I would think some sort of raccoon/water public art would practically create itself.

A permanent memorial for all the heroic and/or fallen Toronto animals at the minimum would be a nice gesture. It's hard enough being a human in this busy city!

I come here hoping for a couple new photos only to find this thread has gone to the dogs... or is it squirrels? raccoons? HA =)
I am looking forward to the next set of photos, thanks all, this park is progressing nicely!

This thread is amazing. I am in total agreement, we need to honour the raccoon here more. They are synonymous with Toronto, and so darn adorable.

The cat sculptures of Kensington market by Shirley Yanover are really fun.

Terrific progress...taken this afternoon.

Bernzy-1.jpg

Bernzy-2.jpg

Bernzy-3.jpg

Bernzy-5.jpg

Bernzy-6.jpg

The northern public realm taking shape rapidly as well. The exposed fire hydrant I snapped a photo of recently is evident in the finalizing of the northern branch of the park.

Bernzy-8.jpg

Bernzy-7.jpg

Attachments

• Bernzy-1.jpg
    Bernzy-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,303
  • Bernzy-2.jpg
    Bernzy-2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,284
  • Bernzy-3.jpg
    Bernzy-3.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Bernzy-5.jpg
    Bernzy-5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,305
  • Bernzy-6.jpg
    Bernzy-6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,288
  • Bernzy-7.jpg
    Bernzy-7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,269
  • Bernzy-8.jpg
    Bernzy-8.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,290
raccoons, hydro poles, discarded apple products, miniature supertalls, W's (UT oldie)

Today they made great progress on the new brick sidewalk on the Wellington Street side - about one-third now bricked - the concrete foundation is shown in photo above. (Mixture of grey and red bricks). They are also working on the Wellington Street end of Scott and have started to install the trench drain (similar to Market Street). The Front Street curb is now all done so I assume the stone laying will now move ahead on that side quite fast too.

Claude Cormier was there this morning (justly) admiring his plan coming into its final form and said "The dogs are en route" so we have that to look forward to soon. It really is looking damn good!

Bernzy1.jpg

Bernzy2.jpg

The south side stonework is 'solid'.

Bernzy3.jpg

...where it meets the sidewalk..

Bernzy4.jpg

Low tech (but effective) measuring system.

Bernzy5.jpg

Scott St work (facing north)...

Bernzy6.jpg

So THAT's what those thingamabobs are for...

Bernzy7.jpg

Bernzy8.jpg

Attachments

• Bernzy1.jpg
    Bernzy1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 754
  • Bernzy2.jpg
    Bernzy2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 763
  • Bernzy3.jpg
    Bernzy3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 736