Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

Because reputable firms can handle the insane level of attention to detail needed to make a box look classy as opposed to lazy. Execution and quality of materials used make a huge difference. Any idiot can design a box, it takes a pro to make the box work using high-quality materials.

I think high-quality materials has more to do with how much the developer is willing to spend rather than what the architect designs.

I think high-quality materials has more to do with how much the developer is willing to spend rather than what the architect designs.

Yes, and "execution" has more to do with the General Contractor....

If KPMB was hired for their administrative strengths, that is overkill. They were likely hired for PR purposes.

From today:
dsc0213km.jpg

One southbound lane on Yonge St is now blocked with hoarding.

I wonder if they're going to change out those huge mechanical units at the same time, or if they'll just keep them in place and rebuild around them.

Looks like they're four floors down on the parking garage as well. Shouldn't be much longer before we see a crane go up

I wonder if they're going to change out those huge mechanical units at the same time, or if they'll just keep them in place and rebuild around them.

Can't see why they would change them. Plans show them building around save for the facade change.

Thanks for those awesome pics, it's the first time we can see the original foundation built for the failed Bay/Adelaide tower from the 1990's. does anyone know if they'll be destroying the old foundation, or were thy able to build on it?

The Adelaide facing wall gets recreated on the Yonge side of the Addition Elle building, and the Yonge side of the historic building will end up facing onto Temperance

That sounds like quite a job. Would it involve shutting down Yonge and/or Temperance at some point?

some part of me wishes that the sliver of podium fronting Yonge Street was built taller, MUCH taller, (say 120m-ish). It would still being attached to the main building though (in other words, an extension), that way it could contribute to/inspire a tall canyon along that stretch of Yonge (and also differentiate it a little more from the first tower). Once can dream :(

That sounds like quite a job. Would it involve shutting down Yonge and/or Temperance at some point?

I believe they'll not need more than one lane at most on either street, and mostly just sidewalk space.

Back