Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

7387CD08-FE26-4828-8BC5-E6C7248A593F.png
4E17F9F5-8438-4CE9-9CE6-F05524F402BB.png
DC62C70B-30C0-4085-A41C-1A32C9552AF5.jpeg
E02DADC9-97C3-4350-9DE2-8E358A6249E9.jpeg

Is this new info? Will the fence around the silos be down next year? Is this just structural stabilization? I assume any adaptive reuse would come later.

View attachment 238209

Yeah, the way I read that, Part 1 (scope undefined) is about just bringing it to some sort of a base state where it won't fall on the folks who are to be newly circulating around it once the plaza and other elements are done; Phase 1 is slated to start construction in 2021.

Then, Phase 2 is the permanent silo situation, for which the EOI will be released in late 2020/early 2021.

Yeah, the way I read that, Part 1 (scope undefined) is about just bringing it to some sort of a base state where it won't fall on the folks who are to be newly circulating around it once the plaza and other elements are done; Phase 1 is slated to start construction in 2021.

Then, Phase 2 is the permanent silo situation, for which the EOI will be released in late 2020/early 2021.

So, yeah, more concrete details (pardon the pun) from the doc that @AlvinofDiaspar linked. Note that they've included in the long-term vision precedent images Zeitz MOCAA, which a couple people on here have referenced. I actually emailed the planner in charge of the file about a year ago to see if he had heard of Zeitz MOCAA, which he said they had.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.12.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.12.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.12.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.12.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.14.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.15.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 5.15.36 PM.png

The Canada Malting Plant is spectacular. Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, there were three buildings you had to explore as an urban explorer in Toronto: the Canada Malting Plant, Hearn Generation Station, and the Don Valley Brickworks. All gave you this experience of the city that was loaded with history, interesting architecture, and graffiti (except for Hearn, which didn't have graffiti for decades after it closed). It was a lot of fun, but the adult in me now says it was dangerous and illegal.

If I recall correctly, there were holes in the top level that dropped into the silos, and you could die if you didn't watch your step. The same holds true for Buffalo and Montreal's impressive abandoned silos, which easily dwarf this complex. The experiences these buildings provided, though, were incomparable. They all need to be preserved and reused, as they're very interesting and impressive up close.

Onwards!

bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:Request For Proposal Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan Implementation
Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/8982886

Parks, Forestry and Recreation, in partnership with City Planning and Transportation Services, and in association with Purchasing and Materials Management Division, are soliciting proposals to select a qualified professional consultant team, led by a landscape architect, to provide full professional and technical services for the design and implementation of the Eireann Quay Landscape Plan (the Project). This Project is a central component in the implementation of the larger Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan (the BQNP) – a multi-project, multi-partner revitalization initiative currently underway in the Central Waterfront's Bathurst Quay neighbourhood. The Eireann Quay Landscape Plan will play a critical role in 'stitching' pre-existing uses, and recent and emerging BQNP improvements, together to achieve a coherent identity and sense of place for Eireann Quay and the Canada Malting site - a long under-utilized heritage property on Toronto's waterfront with tremendous potential to become a cherished public open space at the water's edge, a new community and cultural event space, and a welcoming gateway to the City of Toronto for those arriving via Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (BBTCA).

The City requires professional services from a single, qualified consulting firm, or a consulting team comprised of a number of firms of varied disciplines, with a commitment to design excellence, and a proven ability to design, implement and deliver high-quality public open spaces and streetscapes in a complex urban brownfield and waterfront setting that balances multiple user needs.
Issue date:October 8, 2020
ecblank.gif
Closing date:November 3, 2020
at 12:00 Noon

Back