Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

The Bankside/Tate Modern is a whole different level than a grain silo. If Toronto were to get something like the Tate it might mean having to turn the RC Harris plant into a museum.

If we can put museum exhibits in a crystal, we can damn well fit them in a tube...

"the Global City Museum"

here we go again with the awkward "World City" posturing...

If it is a museum of Toronto and not of global cities more generally (which could make for a fascinating museum in its own right) maybe we should, uh, put Toronto in the name?

i wonder if this means they will still do with the silos as they planned it in west 8's proposal with the biofiltration and the nightclub and everything (i thought that was really great).

i really loved this idea but certainly haven't heard too many people at any level of government pushing for it. it could have been turned into an educational attraction focusing on the environment and the great lakes in particular.

ETA: with metronome officially deceased - i wonder if any money that it had accumulated will be directed towards the canadian music hall of fame.

I strikes me that the space inside the silos, with balconies added at various heights for the displays, the occasional escalators, stairs and bridges crossing the void...

...could be unbelievably cool - possibly one of the most amazing spaces in the country (I mean ON THE GLOBE!)

I understand the proposed name - Global City Museum - has little to do with 'World-Class' posturing, and more to do with the museum being about the waves of immigration to Toronto from every corner of the globe. That said, it sounds awkward to me anyway, and has no pulling-power for me. This sounds like a good candidate for a name-the-museum contest.

This sounds like a good candidate for a name-the-museum contest.

Not so sure about that. Remember the subway naming contest? We ended up with "The Toronto Rocket" from some flake in Mississauga.

Though the interior space could be super cool. In fact, it would take a lot more effort to make it dull.

No, stage a contest! Stage a contest!

Torontoneum.
Museum of the Centre of the Universe.
Humanitareum.
Silosophers' Walk.
Pier 1 Imports.
Immigrateum.

contest-loser 42

ETA: with metronome officially deceased - i wonder if any money that it had accumulated will be directed towards the canadian music hall of fame.

Metronome is not officially dead. John Harris of the Harris Institute is still trying to raise money for the project. And he isn't working with the Canadian Music Hall of Fame so that money would not be redirected.

Re: Metronome is Dead, New City Museum Proposed
I strikes me that the space inside the silos, with balconies added at various heights for the displays, the occasional escalators, stairs and bridges crossing the void...

...could be unbelievably cool - possibly one of the most amazing spaces in the country (I mean ON THE GLOBE!)

It is a cool place inside. I spent three summers working for Canada Malting at the plant. Best time had was drinking beer (brought over fresh from the Molson plant across the street) on the roof while the airshow was on. Wish I had thought to grab some pictures from up there. Wonder if the conveyor belt elevators still work.

And he isn't working with the Canadian Music Hall of Fame so that money would not be redirected.

i was thinking more along the lines of the people who had promised money and who obviously have an interest in canadian music and would now be looking for somewhere else to donate that money. the hall of fame would seem a logical choice.

Proposed museum attracts attention

The Music Hall and Metronome should merge and move into the Olympic Spirit Building.

Apr 04, 2007 04:30 AM
Robert Benzie
Queen's Park Bureau Chief

A proposed city history museum on Toronto's waterfront has sparked interest from the highest levels of the provincial and federal governments.

In the wake of the Star's disclosure Monday that city-owned land at the foot of Bathurst St. could house the museum, Premier Dalton McGuinty pointedly did not rule out provincial support.

"There are ongoing discussions with respect to the best way to redevelop the waterfront and that could be part and parcel of it," the premier told reporters yesterday.

"To my knowledge, we've not had a formal appeal for funds," McGuinty said about the private-public partnership project that could cost up to $200 million.

"One of the things that you learn when you do a bit of travelling is that waterfronts have had a huge magnetic appeal since the dawn of civilization," he said.

"We've got to do more working together to develop this waterfront so that Toronto ... can be right up there ... with others around the world, without getting into names, that have done a better job frankly of developing their waterfront."

An official close to Prime Minister Stephen Harper acknowledged that "there is a need for some sort of anchor" attraction on the waterfront.

"Ottawa would be open to an exciting and innovative proposal," the high-ranking Conservative said in an interview.

At the same time, he emphasized that the federal government would have to be convinced that such a museum would be a large enough draw for tourists and Torontonians.

"What would be in it? John Sewell's bicycle or an exhibit of Mel Lastman's Bad Boy outfits from the original TV commercials?" quipped the official, referring to two colourful former mayors.

On a more serious note, the federal source noted Harper kept his election promise of stable funding for Harbourfront, which is why the waterfront cultural centre now has a five-year funding plan.

"There's been no formal approach to us about this (city museum) yet," said the official.

The plan to use the 1.5-hectare parcel of land adjacent to the Canada Malting Company silos is the brainchild of Rita Davies, city hall's director of culture.

Along with depicting Toronto's history, the museum would celebrate the city's diversity.

Toronto city council will be asked to designate the site for the project, which already has influential backers, including former mayor and waterfront guru David Crombie.

John Tory, leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party, a lifelong Torontonian and runner-up to Mayor David Miller in the 2003 election, also expressed support.

But Tory emphasized the museum should herald "the modern Toronto" and be a showcase for the multicultural metropolis the city has become.

"I think it would great if it celebrated diversity in some way," Tory said, adding city hall should take the lead.

The facility has yet to be named but may end up being called the Global City Museum.

It would would include interactive exhibits, archival material and other city treasures that are not publicly displayed.

The museum would be built astride the landmark silos that date to 1928.

Election fever is in the air, if both senior levels of governments want to rush in and fund this one quickly, I'm all for that.

However, I'm opposed to the name, why not simply call it the Museum of Toronto. I'm also hoping that it is more than just a tribute to the city's diversity and include areas dedicated to the city's art, fashion, film and construction industries.

Louroz

Re: Proposed museum attracts attention

If we call it the "Toronto Museum" it would make a good acronym... We've got the ROM, and now we'll have the TOM.

Or follow the example of other "World" cities like Museum of London and Museum of Sydney... MOT sounds better, and differentiates it from ROM.

Does anyone know much space is in the silos in comparison to AGO or ROM?

What happened to Humanis?

^It says they would use the land adjacent to the silos.

What happened to Humanis?

You mean "Humanitas", right? "Humanis" sounds like some kind of future-clone-society gender-neutral conflation of "penis" and "clitoris"...

^That actually might go over well in the PC world.

Back