Toronto Bathurst College Centre | ?m | 4s | RioCan | Turner Fleischer

Last edited:
They are going to break through at some point downtown.

Also remember the fuss when Dominion (now metro) opened near st lawrence market? It didn't happen. Because they serve two completely different needs.. same with Kensington vis-a-vis Wal Mart.

Wal-Mart won't spell the end for Kensington specifically, but it will undoubtedly destroy more jobs than it creates - and those it creates will be terrible.

Loblaws on the other hand wouldn't be such a big deal.

Loblaws at least was willing to sign the agreement about labour practices and building inspections, one that Walmart and the Gap were not willing to sign.

And yet, Loblaws, thru Joe Fresh, exploits the same slave labour practices in places like Bangladesh and Vietnam that Walmart does. Does Loblaws get a free pass because it's Canadian?

Many small independent retailers sell stuff from sweatshops, too. I'm merely addressing the impact in the local economy.

That said, independent retailers and Loblaws could theoretically exist without sweatshops - whereas Wal-Mart couldn't.

I don't think there is a single Walmart in all of New York City. If that's the case, I'm sure downtown Toronto can survive without a Walmart. Duffrin Mall and Gerrard Square are just on the cusp of downtown and that's close enough.

Suggestion: shove the Beer Store up the street into it and release that "car park with attached store" for development. :rolleyes:

Is the placement of the access within the intersection considered best practice or would it have been better for this development to have a stub laneway at grade with accesses off this? Can't imagine Bathurst/Nassau would be a great place to have people routinely blocking the intersection just because they refused to wait before crossing the line before establishing that the cars ahead would clear the intersection before the cycle changed.

Is Wal-Mart creating the type of jobs we want to create?

Should we only be creating one class of jobs in an economy?

Will Wal-Mart's earnings stay within the greater community?

Does any multi-national's profits stay in the community?

Is the way in which Wal-Mart conducts itself 'fair' to potential competitors in the area?

Are you aware of Wal-Marts pilot programs to assist local businesses?

I don't think there is a single Walmart in all of New York City. If that's the case, I'm sure downtown Toronto can survive without a Walmart. Duffrin Mall and Gerrard Square are just on the cusp of downtown and that's close enough.

We're not NYC, and even they have plenty of "big box" retailers in Manhattan.

I'd imagine they'd close the Duffrin Mall location at some point in the near future unless they are going to invest in it as well.

Last edited:
Should we only be creating one class of jobs in an economy?

No, but we should be encouraging at minimum fair and decent paying jobs which Walmart has a history of not being the best at providing. As well, we should be encouraging and supporting local businesses, and competition from the worlds largest retailers who have economies of scale and the ability to import massively from manufacturers that use cheap labour, keeping costs low, and can undersell local businesses are all negative results.

No, but we should be encouraging at minimum fair and decent paying jobs which Walmart has a history of not being the best at providing.

Is WalMart not subject to the same minimum wage standards as everyone else as mandated by the province?

we should be encouraging and supporting local businesses

I agree, encourage and support them in adapting too Walmart, or any other competition that may come in.

Back