Toronto Bathurst College Centre | ?m | 4s | RioCan | Turner Fleischer

http://www.riocan.com/s/SiteResourc...ncials/q32011/q32011 development projects.pdf

Bathurst Street and College Street
Toronto, Ontario

This 1.3 acre site is located just west of
the downtown core in Toronto near
Bathurst Street and College Street. The
property will be developed into a
139,000 square foot three storey urban
retail building. RioCan sold a 40%
ownership interest in the site to Trinity
in the third quarter of 2011.

Appalling:

420bathurststreetriocan.jpg

From www.tfai.com (Turner Fleischer)

This looks like a suburban mega mall, not a prominent stretch of one of Toronto's busiest downtown streets.

What the hell is that?!

Rio-Can, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Why would they not include residential on top of this shopping complex? I would think that would be a much better use of the land. (as well as quite profitable)

They might very well have to go through rezoning for that, and maybe they just didn't think it's worth their headaches? Or perhaps their Queen West project gave them second thoughts about this kind of mixed use redevelopment.

re: design

Trashy, but no worse than what was there right now. Not something to aspire to for the site, that's for sure.

AoD

What the hell is that?!
Rio-Can, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

and Turner Fleischer as well.
Looks like it should belong at the Vaughan Mills factory outlet mall.
This is not properly scaled for pedestrians and would be miserable driving by it. It doesn't suit the urban context at all.

small voice.... its not that bad.

I'm not sure what people expect here? It has street entrances... there's some brickwork... In fact I like this more than I like many 1 storey LCBO and Shopper's locations. The RioCan building on Queen Street is fairly succesful from a street perspective (the rounded corner is a decent ode to the past)... its failure is the residential component, which is well... awful. Not sure why ppl don't think it isn't urban - it is actually flush with the Church in the background, and I can't see why it would be miserable driving by it. Its a 3 storey retail building, what do people expect.

This... this is fine.

Last edited:
Though it won't win any awards, I also think this is a boon for the city in that it is a major improvement over the current situation.

Back