Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I stand corrected - that's what happens when I look at drawings 3 years out of date

Does any one know what happening with that cutout on the second level right at the Yonge & Gerrard corner. The rendering show it was supposed to be a glass opening for the retail spaces but its concrete now and has some sort of brackets fitted onto it. Public art piece? coloured glass cube? big Aura sign?

Does any one know what happening with that cutout on the second level right at the Yonge & Gerrard corner. The rendering show it was supposed to be a glass opening for the retail spaces but its concrete now and has some sort of brackets fitted onto it. Public art piece? coloured glass cube? big Aura sign?

Hooks to hang one's dignity at the door?

Whatever it is going to be, it looks like it is going to use a fair bit of electricity judging by those thick cords.

I thought somewhere earlier in the thread someone had mentioned that it was supposed to be a video display, but that because the project is north of Gerrard they couldn't get a permit for that kind of signage.

So here is a crudely photoshopped Aura with 8 extra floors. Anyone want to make a guess as to how much the mechanical floors will add?

yXT7JE8.jpg

I was in the basement shopping centre and boy, is that ever a strange place. There are some tiny variety stores that sell almost nothing. I just can't see how those little stores can turn a profit. I did see a crowded barber shop. The food court is still completely empty and a number of the spaces are for sale. I feel sorry for people who bought retail space here. It just seems like a sad, deserted, dreary place. I hope it turns around soon, when the new condo folks start to move in.

What I can't understand is why those convenience stores are selling the same generic crap as each other. It seems like it would be an ideal place for J-Town style specialty items.

Torontovibe:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stores are opened by new, investment-class immigrants who had to put money into some Canadian business as part of their residency requirement.

Anyways, they should just gut that entire space and use it for some big box store.

AoD

I assume they'll be using a heavy-lift helicopter to get the mech up that high, right? I can't see a crane being capable of that sort of job.

As far as I know, the only time a heavy-lift helicopter was used for a building here was the CN Tower. If FCP and Scotia didn't need a helicopter I don't see aura needing one either. I could be wrong though.

As far as I know, the only time a heavy-lift helicopter was used for a building here was the CN Tower. If FCP and Scotia didn't need a helicopter I don't see aura needing one either. I could be wrong though.

Last year a helicopter was used to lift equipment onto the roof of 145 King Street West - to support expansion of the Cogeco data centre in the building. While a mobile crane would had the reach and the lifting capacity to do the job - it would have required remedial work on the TTC University Avenue subway line south of King Street to strengthen the tunnel structure to support the weight of the crane. It was less expensive to fly the helicopter in from Chicago, do the lift, and fly it back, than fix up the tunnel to support the required load.

Regarding the mechanical equipment on top of Aura - the building has multiple mechanical rooms - the lower level rooms are already operational supporting the podium and the condominium floors currently being occupied. Given the top level mechanical equipment is only supporting the upper portion of the building, I would not see why the existing crane and construction elevators would not be able to get the required equipment up there.

There are 2-level mechanical rooms wherever that spandrel section is at the north east corner - floors 56 and 57

My buddy just moved into Aura last night. Can't believe residents can move in this early. The hallways are literally unfinished concrete.

bJFFChw.png

tjhme7y.png

uwqw34J.png

Hey Dev, Yeah I think thats normal. I'm in the Absolute Towers and i've heard from neighbours that thats how it was when they first moved in. Actually, large sections of the walls in the lobby were just finished a couple months ago! (And don't get me started on the elevators! lol)

PS. I know someone that just moved into Aura that weekend too. Mutual friends maybe?

Back