Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I snuck a photo through the protective gating at the top of the escalators that goes into the new Marshalls today. It practically looks ready to go with all of the stock already set up.

Looks a little more finished with the drop ceiling compared with BBB's exposed ceiling with hanging lights.

I'm going to keep to my observations that I think a lot of US retailers are underestimating the Canadian marketplace....

Last edited by a moderator:
by me

8611176921_e1c07ae363_c.jpg

Before this thing went up a lot of people complained here that this wasn't even architecture. I argued against them back then, but the more it develops, the more it proves them right.

Though on a sort-of positive note, the balcony glass seems to clean up the cluttered facade a bit...at least from that angle

Nice shot caltrane. See, my eye is more drawn to what's in the foreground than Aura though I agree with someMidTowner that the balcony glass is making a huge difference to the tower portion, in a good way. I so, so hope that they don't screw up the top angled portions and that the curtain-wall up there really shows off this crazy tall building along with an attractive rooftop feature.

I'm exactly the opposite, my eye is drawn to aura. When I look at the stores I just think it looks like some run down retail strip, that with the exception of the beige building in the foreground should just be torn down.

For me, it's the combination of beautiful AND ugly old buildings along with some beautiful AND ugly new buildings, some narrow and in places, some wide sidewalks that makes Yonge Street vibrant and exciting. Take away all the ugly buildings and replace them with great architecture, line the whole street with wide sidewalks and the human element will be lost. For me it's the balance between ugly & beautiful that makes Yonge so great. Now I'm not saying that I think the street should remain exactly as it is, but wide sidewalks and great architecture does not a vibrant city make.

Wide sidewalks and great architecture does not a vibrant city make.

Exactly. As a European living in Toronto, I sometimes struggle to understand why some folks want to make Toronto more like Europe. I grew up with nice old buildings and tree lined avenues, yet I moved to Toronto because I found the big, brash look of it more stimulating. Aura is part of that experience.

Exactly. As a European living in Toronto, I sometimes struggle to understand why some folks want to make Toronto more like Europe. I grew up with nice old buildings and tree lined avenues, yet I moved to Toronto because I found the big, brash look of it more stimulating. Aura is part of that experience.

Amen to that!

I don't think anyone wants to emulate Moscow, but Yonge street today is an objectively unpleasant, polluted, and dangerous place to move around for cyclists and pedestrians.

I understand a lot of people in the demographic of 15-40 years old love it, I spend a lot of time there myself. But its current configuration is inherently discriminatory against small kids and seniors, and that's not the type of place I want to live in. I would have no inconvenience if Toronto was replete with urban alternatives that are friendly to these demographics, but it isn't.

The brash aesthetic is a sign of neglect, poor planning, and lack of consideration for others. While it may be vibrant and picturesque in small doses, in the long term it leads to a type of culture that is corrosive and self-loathing.

Furthermore, the emphasis on cars and lack of vegetation is very psychologically and environmentally undesirable.

Back