Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I wouldnt call it uneven spacing, but rather that different sections of the building have different patterns formed by the window frames. To me this is one of the best features and gives the building a sense of dynamic rather than simply being a sterile monolith.

I agree. I'm betting the OCD minimalists (aka "The Greys") are getting freaked out by this! Help! Mental overload! Patterns! Shapes! Texture! Variety! Surely Toronto isn't ready for this!!! :)

Some of our best local architects, heretofore widely known for their sleek, minimalist, box-like towers, are actually using all of those techniques with their new condo designs, scrapergeek. It's an approach not unlike the Mannerists and the aesthetic challenge they posed to the order and balance of the High Renaissance - an expressive re-ordering of the components of the Classical design vocabulary. As with Giulio Romano's Palazzo del Te ( the strange, dropped keystones, for instance ), or the courtyard of his Palazzo Ducale in Mantua ( spiral engaged columns, Flintstone-like hacked rustications ... ), or Michelangelo's Porta Pia ( pediments within pediments, a square arch with an alternative round arch above it, and an audacious embrace of disharmony for artistic ends ), and Ammanati's Palazzo Provincale in Lucca ( the two disconnected Ionic capitals, floated for no apparent reason as decorative elements above the entrance arch ... ) so is there a similar re-ordering of Modernist elements in condo projects by such local firms as aA, Teeple, RAW, Core etc. Perhaps the large volume of work ( unique to our city ) is providing a broad enough canvas to draw out this response, and encourage Toronto Style to evolve.

By me

7400041722_7984271f98_b.jpg

7400077264_aab03c3fe7_b.jpg

7400069240_98e3989f89.jpg

7400111612_fd5141a730.jpg

...................!!! :)

I'm betting the OCD minimalists (aka "The Greys") are getting freaked out by this INCREDIBLY BAD BUILDING! Help! Mental overload! UGLY Patterns! UGLY Shapes! CHEAP Texture! MEANINGLESS Variety! Surely Toronto isn't ready for this!!!

It is going to take some getting used to to not being able to see Scotia Plaza while walking down Yonge St. Seeing SP and FCP always kind of defined the downtown vista for me

That park is going to turn into quite the meeting place downtown. With enough businesses, and people there... the atmosphere of the park will change considerably.

Very Exciting Times Indeed!!

I hope youre right, truthfully they should gate these downtown parkettes and shut them down during the night (like NYC and many other cities do)

4 armed robberies reported at College Park
Toronto police are looking for suspects after a series of violent, overnight robberies downtown.

One person was stabbed and another was cut in the face during four separate incidents.

The injuries were not life-threatening.

The robberies happened between 1:30 and 3:30 a.m. in the College Park courtyard near Yonge Street and College Street.

Police say the are looking for as many as seven suspects.

No arrests have been made.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/06/21/toronto-armed-robberies.html

does NYC gate and shut down parkettes at night? never heard of this before...

I don't really like the idea of gating a park, but who hangs out at College Park at night? It's hardly a pleasant experience in the day! Even if I lived in one of the surrounding towers, I certainly wouldn't go in there after midnight.

I hope youre right, truthfully they should gate these downtown parkettes and shut them down during the night (like NYC and many other cities do)

4 armed robberies reported at College Park

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/06/21/toronto-armed-robberies.html

There was a discussion on this or the ROCP thread a few years ago about how this is a dangerous place to walk through at night & I scoffed at it. Oops! On the subject of the park, Kristyn Wong-Tam tweeted yesterday - Working w/@PPS_Placemaking, MBTW & stakeholders to turn Barbara Ann Scott Park into a magnificent public space! #ward27 http://t.co/vfBPLKWz

There was a discussion on this or the ROCP thread a few years ago about how this is a dangerous place to walk through at night & I scoffed at it. Oops! On the subject of the park, Kristyn Wong-Tam tweeted yesterday - Working w/@PPS_Placemaking, MBTW & stakeholders to turn Barbara Ann Scott Park into a magnificent public space! #ward27 http://t.co/vfBPLKWz

One robbery (or 4 in the same night by the same group of thugs) does not a dangerous parkette make. If we gated everywhere that a bad incident happened, we'd all soon need a rather large set of keys to carry around at night.

Back