Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Strangely enough, I'm actually really looking forward to the retail/mall portion of the building, hopefull it'll add a lot to the existing college park shops, and create a new hub of retail/entertainment.....

Random people will say, "I'll meet you at Aura?" , yes?, no?, maybe?,
Or, "I'll meet you at that big building at college park?"

I'm thinking they'll stick with "I'll meet you at College Park"
The general public don't usually know, or care to know, Buildings' names. Too bad. I'm still gonna name my residence a-la 1800's! LOL

by me

sany1518i.jpg

those exterior columns make me nervous just by looking at the huge ceiling heights!... it looks like it could just buckle at any moment!!!!

anyone know how big the BedBath is going to be? i doubt it will be a regular sized store because those stores take up a lot of room!

those exterior columns make me nervous just by looking at the huge ceiling heights!... it looks like it could just buckle at any moment!!!!

anyone know how big the BedBath is going to be? i doubt it will be a regular sized store because those stores take up a lot of room!

1 full floor. They were the first one to sign a lease.

Ugh, this Bed Bath place is getting a full floor? I was hoping for some diversity and at least remotely locally-unique retail, but I guess it’ll just be giant suburban-style chains.

Ugh, this Bed Bath place is getting a full floor? I was hoping for some diversity and at least remotely locally-unique retail, but I guess it’ll just be giant suburban-style chains.

LOL Um.. Have you met Downtown Toronto? Soon, the only places to get unique shops will be the 'up-and-coming' hoods. Oh Gentrification!

Is there such a thing as 'locally-unique retail' that could fill such a space and pay such rent? I mean, let's be a little realistic in our expectations... not to say that I wouldn't want that too!!

I believe his post implies he'd hoped they intended the space to be divided into several smaller units with "Locally Unique" appeal, rather than one large retailer. I believe arvelomquaig is not so naive as to think it possible that a Mozambique Tribal Mask and Art Dealer could occupy 50,000 square feet of the ground floor. Give him some credit.

I was hoping for Toronto's first Feel Fish and Kiss Bird locations!!!

:p

(Image courtesy Aura at College Park here: http://www.collegeparkcondos.com/ )

Last edited:
Yes, Traynor, I mostly meant that I wish new retail at condos like this one was divided up a lot more, like the older kind (Yonge south of Gerrard, Bloor west of Spadina, etc.), and also that the stores weren't quite SO ridiculously suburban, internationally homogenizing chains. Obviously this spot is too valuable for overly interesting, independent stores, but can't it at the very least consist of giant Toronto chains, or even Canadian boring suburban chains? I don't think that's too much to hope for.

I'd like to see more large stores downtown but not American chains. I'd hate to see this city become over-run with the same shit you see in all North American shopping malls. That's one thing I didn't like on my last trip to NYC. The franchise chains have moved into just about all retail sections of Manhattan. It's much worse, that just a few short years ago.

Interesting article on New York/Gehry.
So, i'm guessing this is the tallest condo in North America, but I believe Aura will take that title (which, i can't even believe). I dig this tower, and even though Aura will be taller, the views here will still be unmatched,

Inside Gotham's newest skyscraper, New York by Gehry

gehrylead.jpg

"The tallest residential building in the United States at 76 stories, 8 Spruce St. is so giant it feels like you can reach over from a high window and pick up the Statue of Liberty between your thumb and pointer finger. When you step into any bay window formed by the tower’s angled curtain wall, all you can say is: “Whoa. Whoa.â€

http://bestplaces.nydailynews.com/stories/inside-gothams-newest-skyscraper-new-york-gehry

the gehry tower is a rental building, not condos. (a bit odd considering how high-profile it is)

Back