Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

By the way KA1, if Aura is typical of many condo projects, they will be using a reinforced concrete shear wall system that does not rely on bolted or welded joints like a steel structure does. I wouldn't be concerned because structural engineers use very large safety factors in the design of these buildings.

Thanks for the reassuring words, civdis.

I wasn't at all concerned -- just curious to know the story.

As the construction progresses, I might have some further questions -- just to learn a few things about construction.

Thanks, once again.

9-11
IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

I sure did.

I still have another questions. They must be driving posts -- for lack of better word -- in the ground to 'anchor' the structure to prevent it from tilting in case of a high wind or minor earthquake? Or the structure is heavy enough to not to tilt in case of high winds. In Toronto we have had strong winds -- storms -- once in a while.

I know most points have already been mentioned, but additionally, tall buildings are actually designed to sway in high winds and earthquakes. This helps to relieve stress on the structure. Many buildings employ massive counterweights, or use water on the roof in the same manner, to further counteract the swaying (for comfort reasons, some people notice swaying in taller buildings).

Anyone here know if Aura will employ any anti-swaying measures? Or do most condos in Toronto do this anyway with rooftop ballast; I can't think of any with a pendulum style counterweight, a la Tapei 101.

You can build a tower with no basement at all if you really wanted. All you'd need is longer piles and a small excavation for the footing. .
Market Wharf on Lower Jarvis being a local and current example - in this case they decided not to excavate as the soil was contaminated so it's just being covered over - more info on that thread.

excellent photos skyscan! they really levelled out the ground where the crane is! One sharp looking excavation! I'm very happy aura's hit rock bottom now... and with all those materials on the site now, its starting to look like a real construction site!

I'm not sure where the 2nd crane is going, but i would assume there would be 1 crane on the south-east part of the site, and another just west of the loading ramp.

excellent photos skyscan! they really levelled out the ground where the crane is! One sharp looking excavation! I'm very happy aura's hit rock bottom now... and with all those materials on the site now, its starting to look like a real construction site!

I'm not sure where the 2nd crane is going, but i would assume there would be 1 crane on the south-east part of the site, and another just west of the loading ramp.

Please see post # 2849 above re location of other 2 cranes.

A few (many) pages back someone posted a PDF with information about the retail component which included possible floor plans. It should still be there somewhere in the morass that is this thread.

^ When I was there, I counted about 50 workers total, which includes guys on the other side of the ramp. The safety inspector told me there will be about 100 workers when the site is at full tilt.

Back