Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Adma: Yes, the Y is ugly, bad urban planning and I don't care who designed it. JD isn't god you know.

Yeah, and in so saying, you've earned yourself an instant "F" grade in The Architectural Heritage Of 1980s Toronto 101.

dunce-cap.jpg

Oh well, had UT existed 45 years ago, I can see it now: "Yes, Old City Hall is ugly, bad urban planning and I don't care who designed it. EJL isn't god you know.".

Sorry, I'm not rescinding that "F" grade in The Architectural Heritage Of 1980s Toronto 101. All the more so if you're the sort to use "^Lol" in term papers. Okay, may I state it in terms that ill-informed LOLers like you'd understand: "EPIC FAIL".

Text language or "txt spk" should be banned, and punishable by death. The slow degradation of the English language that's been brought upon by the Internet and modern technological mediums is depressing. Anyway, that's not the topic at hand, so I apologize, but regardless I retain my fear for the future of our language.

Er...urbandreamer, you can't spin a positive "generational" alibi out of this. All you're proving is why anyone with a reasonably well-informed knack or sensitivity for architectural history (contemporary or otherwise) roll their eyes at the ill-informed rank amateurism on display on public urban discussion boards such as this one. Nothing to do with Aura; everything to do with the Central Y. Your judgment would be no less ignorant if you were 25 or 45 or 65.

And re "OCH wasn't bad urban planning; the Y is"--I don't think you get my point, which is more re how a callow modern-obsessed architectural geek/student in the mid-60s might indeed have deemed Old City Hall to be bad urban planning, ugly, dispensible, the works, with the same kind of jaw-dropping stupidity you're bringing here...

^It's an ugly forgettable JD building with overwrought blank walls, dead spaces and washed out Toronto-style colours. It's quite possibly the ugliest Y(MCA) in the country.

Adma: I "get" it. EJL's OCH>JD's Y.

I would argue you may be the rigid inflexible architectural snob that Toronto has too many of. If the tower that will replace the current Y within my lifetime is better looking, better designed, and a better urban fit for the location, then I see that as a positive. JD's bland barren building belongs in some suburban strip plaza, not downtown Toronto.

^Lol. OT, Aura is an "Epic Fail." :D

I gave in to the hype in March 2008 and bought a unit in AURA -- and that too, an expensive unit on high floor. Shopping will be right downstairs and it will be faster to walk to the hospital than wait for an ambulance.l Sometime I wonder if I did the right thing?

^It's an ugly forgettable JD building with overwrought blank walls, dead spaces and washed out Toronto-style colours. It's quite possibly the ugliest Y(MCA) in the country.

Adma: I "get" it. EJL's OCH>JD's Y.

I would argue you may be the rigid inflexible architectural snob that Toronto has too many of. If the tower that will replace the current Y within my lifetime is better looking, better designed, and a better urban fit for the location, then I see that as a positive. JD's bland barren building belongs in some suburban strip plaza, not downtown Toronto.

Okay. For perspective's sake, and acknowledging that what you dub "rigid inflexible architectural snobs" happen to rule that particular realm of, uh, "expert judgment" and aren't likely not to unless a Mayor Rob Ford takes charge--or, if not that, a generation of raised-on-Sim-City twerps comes to political and planning-board power and uses its message-board populism to tell said snobs to roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news--may I suggest that if a top 5 or 10 list of 1980s architectural landmarks in the former City of Toronto were compiled for the benefit of the Toronto Preservation Board, the Central Y would be firmly in there. Honest. The acclaim it received in its own time, combined with its continued functionality and the fact that it's never been reviled on a Boston-City-Hall level, ensures that fact.

The "problem", I suppose--that which fuels your judgment of its being bland/barren/suburban--is, if I may play Urban Shocker for a second, it's not "big hair" 1980s, not in the way that the nearby Police Headquarters or Mississauga City Hall or (at least through skyline prominence) Scotia Plaza is. It's not demonstrative enough for those demanding lots of mousse and crimping iron. It's not keytar enough. And in spite of being a mid-80s Y, it isn't leg-warmers-and-Michael-Sembello's-"Maniac" enough. It's too subtle; it's for those archi-nerds for whom the name "Louis Kahn" rings a bell.

And yet; and yet. In the long term, there's virtue in subtlety.

Sure, one can point to the the fate of the AGO additions by JD's ex-partner Barton Myers as proof of how nothing's sacred re this style of architecture--but let me tell you this: if, indeed, a tower-replacement proposal will (as you wishfully imagine) come within your lifetime, you can probably expect the Central Y to be the kind of preservationist cause celebre that Parkin's Bata HQ was. Especially given that by the time that happens, that'll be enough "seasoning time" relative to the present (something which, fortunately or not, the Myers/KPMB AGO additions lacked, esp. vs a 500 pound gorilla like Gehry).

"I gave in to the hype in March 2008 and bought a unit in AURA -- and that too, an expensive unit on high floor. Shopping will be right downstairs and it will be faster to walk to the hospital than wait for an ambulance.l Sometime I wonder if I did the right thing?"

You did the right thing. This is a unique area facing sinful-exciting Yonge to the East and all-that-is noble MARS to the West. The parkette should be restored nicely and patrolled more efficiently once Aura is complete, subway access, and College Park retail will no doubt experience a huge upgrade in the food court area. The former dept store is a gem. And of course the view - what floor, may I ask?

You did the right thing. This is a unique area facing sinful-exciting Yonge to the East and all-that-is noble MARS to the West. The parkette should be restored nicely and patrolled more efficiently once Aura is complete, subway access, and College Park retail will no doubt experience a huge upgrade in the food court area. The former dept store is a gem. And of course the view - what floor, may I ask?

59th floor

Last edited by a moderator:

Back