Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

True Johnzz... but at least it's a step up from saying 'We're starting construction sometime in 2009. They've also changed banks which may (or may not) be a good sign.

Rule no.1 to remember. What a builder's agent tells you isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Hope it turns out to be true though. Canderal has an excellent reputation, but these are difficult days for condo builders in Toronto.
Most of the 'pigeons' have flown away.

i'm not holding my breath on the aug 09 construction date. when i asked the sales manager earlier this year, this said that construction would start at the beginning of summer.

at least this time, they specified a month. good news perhaps?

Walking by this site last Friday I realized 3 Murano's could fit on this site--a much better and denser alternative, imho.

Yes but this would be the same old...

Imagine looking north from Dundas Square with 75+ stories of glass in the horizon. Very cool. :cool:

^agreed.

We've got "Murano's" springing up in every corner of the city. Please, for the love of God, no more!

We need to double the Muranos to make even a small dent in the concrete of the seventies and brick and mirrors of the eighties. And that's just the downtown. I've yet to see a single Murano anywhere outside of it.

in today's Star, as part of a longer article on 3 bedroom condos....(hopefully the info is correct).....

"In Toronto's core there are pockets of families living in highrise condos and their numbers will increase as purchased, but not yet built projects, are opened. The largest is Aura, a Canderel Stoneridge project.

The Montreal-based condo builder is poised to begin construction of the 75-storey condominium tower just south of College Park at the corner of Yonge and Gerrard Sts. The residential skyscraper will create a vertical community of close to 3,000 people, many of whom are expected to be under the age of 18.

"What we have done is for the first 55 floors we have created a stack of three-bedroom units on the southeast corner of Aura," explains Riz Dhanji, Canderel Stoneridge's vice-president of sales and marketing. "These have sold very quickly. We weren't surprised; we could see there are a lot of people (who already own smaller condos) wanting to move up to the three-bedroom. These are people who have two kids or they are planning to have kids."

Most of the building's suites have been sold, but with the remaining inventory, Canderel Stoneridge has rejigged some of the units. "We have created larger two bedroom units with dens and they are being picked up, too," Dhanji says. "People are either downsizing or upsizing and the 2 1/2 (bedrooms) has a real appeal."

Aura is the third phase of a massive project that is rejuvenating the College Park block. Buyers who are moving into the recently opened buildings on Bay St., are, for the most part, coming alone.

"The units in phase one and two are smaller, and as a result attract singles and couples, which is typical for downtown," he says. "The reason for this is that developers tend to build small. They feel there is a price point that consumers won't go past. For families, $400,000 for a larger unit can be a tough sell."

However, Dhanji is finding with Aura that the adage if you build it they will come holds true.

The company's gamble to create larger units has paid off for lifestyle reasons. Parents are choosing to live in the district because it has entertainment, restaurants, schools, world-class health facilities, and a large police presence.

Including the size of the balcony, the three-bedroom Aura units that are on floors six to 55 are about 1,100 square feet. The units have two modest-sized bedrooms on one side of the curved unit and on the other wall there is a master bedroom with ensuite bath."

the rest of the article can be found here.....

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/article/626607

Interesting... a stack of 3 bedroom units on the South East corner of the first 55 floors. Hmmm... they were supposedly sold out 2 weeks after the sales office opened... and they were NOT 3 bedroom units then. I just don't believe anything anymore in the real estate business until I see it. Whatever! I'll be happy when I see a shovel!

Interesting... a stack of 3 bedroom units on the South East corner of the first 55 floors. Hmmm... they were supposedly sold out 2 weeks after the sales office opened... and they were NOT 3 bedroom units then. I just don't believe anything anymore in the real estate business until I see it. Whatever! I'll be happy when I see a shovel!

Yes, there were (or are) 3 bedroom units on the S/E corner. There are three or four other 3 bedrooms styles (PH/SPH units excluded) scattered around the buidling on limited floors. The suite in question from a .pdf released when the building went on sale:

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Yes, there were (or are) 3 bedroom units on the S/E corner. There are three or four other 3 bedrooms styles (PH/SPH units excluded) scattered around the buidling on limited floors. The suite in question from a .pdf released when the building went on sale:

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The suite layout doesn't seem that bad, although it is compact.

One thing I would change is the partition wall b/t the 2 small bedrooms - move it out further by 1 ft so when the door is open, it will not impede the space and flow of the bedrooms. You will notice that one of the door's would actually hit the dresser ... LOL. It still leaves about 4'0"-4'6" clearance in the hallway.

The question is how much does that ~1068 SF unit sell for ($400K, $450K, $500K) considering Canderal stated in the article that $400K seems to be the max price point for family suites.

The suite layout doesn't seem that bad, although it is compact.

One thing I would change is the partition wall b/t the 2 small bedrooms - move it out further by 1 ft so when the door is open, it will not impede the space and flow of the bedrooms. You will notice that one of the door's would actually hit the dresser ... LOL. It still leaves about 4'0"-4'6" clearance in the hallway.

The question is how much does that ~1068 SF unit sell for ($400K, $450K, $500K) considering Canderal stated in the article that $400K seems to be the max price point for family suites.

Good point. The living area is also pretty small for a "family suite". I reckon' those dimensions include the kitchen so the living area is roughly 10' X 17' plus the area proposed as a dining area. Overall not bad, there's much worse out there.

the entire sales process was unclear to me. when they first released to brokers it seemed that depending on the broker/agent you were with, the selection of units to choose from was given randomly.

after the broker event, came the VIP phase. during the VIP phase i wasn't sure how the selling process was. i don't think it ever came down to having buyers line up first-come, first-served, did it?

At some point there was a line of lawn chairs outside the office, but I'm not sure what stage of selling that was at

I think they claimed they were one of Toronto's best selling condos, but I'm sure a lot of developers take liberty with that kind of vagueness. Right now the only delay I expect is getting their financing in order.

Back