Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

Recall however, that you can't oppose on aesthetic grounds. Your issue has to be that the project fails to meet one of four tests:
  • The proposal is appropriate for the development of the land and/or building.
  • The general intent and purpose of the City's Zoning By-law is maintained.
  • The general intent and purpose of the City's Official Plan is maintained.
  • The variance requested is minor.

Yeah it's not like a simple glass box is hard to replicate. This is not a heritage brick building.

It maybe difficult to source the materials to replicate to the same exacting standards - but since they are replacing the entire envelope anyways, would it hurt to try and preserve the spirit of the original building? This isn't it.

AoD

Hard to disagree with this but it would been cool if they threw in some setbacks and compensated with more height. Good opportunity for a terrace of some kind.

It's kinda ugly. But the main thing i don't like is that the atrium won't be visible from the retail level anymore.

That is really appalling. I wasn't expecting much but this is far worse than anything I thought might be coming...

And closing off the atrium to the public is the most offensive part of this plan. I can't fathom how that was even seriously proposed. Where's the Design Review Panel when you need it?

Back