Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

The retail here really needs to fixed and re-imagined. Has lots of potential due to location but the execution isn't the greatest.

I hope they would replicate the skylights! Otherwise it would really not be "Atrium" on Bay. The last time I was there seeing the skylights felt very comfortable. I wonder if that's how folks in Rome's Pantheon feel when they look up at the oculus. Something "spiritual" about seeing lights streaming down from an opening high above you...

Also, aren't there height restrictions because of the nearby helicopter ambulance flight paths to Sick Kids Hospital, as well as the need to preserve the view from City Hall?

It would be nice if they finally got rid of those advertisements that are tacked on the 2nd/3rd floor exterior ring along Yonge. Technology exists for LED lighting to broadcast dynamic advertisement directly onto the glass surfaces.
While I like the Atrium on Bay, I can assure you that it feels nothing like the Pantheon. The Pantheon is one of my favourite buildings in Rome. Absolutely a spiritual experience, especially considering the history of the place.

found in the architectural plans filed with their minor variance:

Atrium on Bay.png

Attachments

• Atrium on Bay.png
    Atrium on Bay.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 867
Also, while the atrium will remain, it appears as though it will no longer be visible from the retail space. The application proposes to fill in the atrium on the 2nd floor only to create more floor space.

The atrium will also not be expanded upward, instead its current height will be retained with the space above it in the new floors being open air.

Heights are 79 and 77m.

Atrium on Bay never really 'made it' as a destination. Eaton Centre always overshadowed AoB's ambitions. They even called it Atrium on 'Bay' rather than on 'Yonge'...more 'cachet' perhaps?

Also, while the atrium will remain, it appears as though it will no longer be visible from the retail space. The application proposes to fill in the atrium on the 2nd floor only to create more floor space.

The atrium will also not be expanded upward, instead its current height will be retained with the space above it in the new floors being open air.
Argh! The last thing that semi-conscious mall needs is to be cut off from the atrium. The CoA needs to be told that that is not a minor variance.
Straight AND curvy. That should please everybody.
Heh.
Or nobody.
Closer!
Y+D is truly where architecture goes to die in Toronto.
AoD
Too true…
So, right at home for the Yonge-Dundas area.
Too true…

Back