Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT
AGENDA
TORONTO EAST YORK PANEL A
Hearing Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 Time: 1:00 p.m. Location: Committee Room 2 -Toronto City Hall -100 Queen Street West

595 BAY ST
File Number: A0119/12TEY Zoning CR (Waiver) Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Property Address: 595 BAY ST Community: Toronto Legal Description: PLAN 243 LOTS 1 TO 11 PT LOT 12 PLAN 2A LOTS 4 24 TO 34 PT LOT 23 RP 63R14021 PARTS 1 TO 11 RP 66R17427 PART 1

PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To construct multiple additions to an existing office building. Specifically, to add four floors plus a mechanical penthouse on top of the existing east (14 to 18 storeys) and west (13 to 17 storeys) office towers; also, to construct additions on the ground and second floor on the south and west sides of the building.
REQUESTED VARIANCES TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:

1. Section 4 By-law522-79, as amended by By-Law 428-82
The maximum permitted non-residential gross floor area is 100, 557 m2.
The existing non-residential gross floor area is 106,545.21 m2. (Committee of Adjustment Decision
A0880/05TEY)
The proposed non-residential gross floor area of the altered building is 122,213.5 m2.

2. Section 10, By-law 522-79
No building or structure shall be erected or used above grade unless such building is setback at least 4.6
m from the Bay Street lot line from a minimum height of 2.7 m above grade.
The proposed building is 0.15 m and 0.0 m from the lot line, at the ground and second floors
respectively.

3. Section 10, By-law 522-79
No building or structure shall be erected or used above grade unless such building is 7.6 m from the Bay
Street lot line for a minimum height of 2.7 m above grade.
The altered building is 0.0 m from the Bay Street lot line.

4. Section 12 260 , By-law 438-86
No building on Yonge Street which penetrates an angular plane of 44° at a base height of 16 m above
grade at the lot line is permitted.
The altered building penetrates the angular plane as projected along Yonge Street.

5. Section 12 260 , By-law 438-86
No building on Bay Street which penetrates an angular plane of 60° at a base height of 34 m above
grade is permitted.
The altered building penetrates the angular plane as projected along Bay Street.

Atrium on Bay gets approval for 4 new retail floors

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Related Tags

City Building
The Atrium on Bay is set to get a lot bigger.

Long the underappreciated younger sister of the Eaton Centre to its immediate south, the mall is set to add four floors of retail.

The owners, H&R Real Estate Income Trust, received community council approval for the project. H&R REIT also recently bought the Corus Quay building on the waterfront.

"It was largely supported by planning staff, as well as the downtown Yonge Business Improvement Area," says councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam. "There is going to be significant improvements to the street, a part of their application is really putting in almost three million to public realm improvements. They’re going to be internalizing the Dundas exit, the one that sits right in front of the Dundas and Yonge. So where you have those stairs leading up onto Dundas on the northwest corner will be removed. Which means we're going to recapture width. They're redesigning, repainting, re-landscaping Dundas, Bay, Edward as well as Yonge."

Writer: Bert Archer
Source: Kristyn Wong-Tam

Very interesting -- so, they're just moving the offices up to the new floors?

My guess is that this is for a big retailer like Nordstrom or Macy's.

Sears and 10 Dundas would probably be in favour of skywalks.

Between these four huge new floors of retail and all the retail at Aura, I don't think anything could hurt the street life around here

^ Yup, there's plenty of traffic down there. Yonge & Dundas is already a zoo most of the day. Along with skywalk's connecting the 3 shopping venues (which should be wide enough to accomodate coffee bars on both sides) I'd also like to see a section from 10 Dundas go south a little into YD Square with a restaurant at the end so you can have a meal and enjoy the chaos below.

I had to Google Streetview the intersection to find the exit Wong-Tam referred to. Then it made sense that she was referring to the Dundas Subway exit.

So what's proposed is kinda like what happened at the NE corner of Yonge + Queen w/Maritime Life...

It wasn't so long ago that those subway entrances were on each corner except the S/W corner, which presumably was built into the Eaton Centre in the 70's.

"There is going to be significant improvements to the street, a part of their application is really putting in almost three million to public realm improvements. They’re going to be internalizing the Dundas exit, the one that sits right in front of the Dundas and Yonge. So where you have those stairs leading up onto Dundas on the northwest corner will be removed. Which means we're going to recapture width. They're redesigning, repainting, re-landscaping Dundas, Bay, Edward as well as Yonge."

This makes it sound like they're building atop of Forever21 (previously The Gap) and turning this building into a sort of lobby with an included entrance into the subway station below. The Atrium is indeed missing an attractive main entrance. A significant portion of people passing by on Yonge don't know the the Atrium is also a mall because the Eaton Centre gets all the attention. A main entrance on the corner of Yonge & Dundas -- were people already stop while waiting for the pedestrian crossing -- would make for a great main Lobby for the Atrium.

^^ I agree, the main entrance to this shopping centre is not inviting at all. A tourist walking by would take a peek in, and think there is nothing much in there. I think putting the main entrance at the Yonge/Dundas corner would make the centre much more popular, if they designed it right. The inside of this complex seems dark and dull to me, so I hope the inside gets a serious redesign. It needs to interact with the corner in a much more direct way and draw people in.

Last edited:

Back