News   Jul 09, 2024
 269     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 463     0 

Toronto article in Fall 2009 Intelligent Life Magazine

The Canada successive generations would identify with in the past doesn't really exist anymore - at least not in the big cities.

Nor does the France of the past, or the USA of the past. On this point I'm recalling a previous comment I made:

In the USA [...] there is a shared notion of 'America' that Americans and newcomers believe in and seek. Is it uniform? No. Is it flawed and problematic? Yes. Does it evolve and mutate over time? Yes. Is it inherently valued by all citizens regardless of its perceived flaws? Yes again. To be American is to identify with and belong to one's cultural group, at the same time as the collective national identity.

I don't believe anybody here is advocating for some dated notion of Canada. We are diverse now, for one thing, and no longer colonial. History and heritage all have their place in our identity because those things have informed how Canada did evolve into what it is today, they are part of our identity but not the sum of it. More importantly, however, is the ongoing dialogue about Canadian identity, what it means to be one and why it is a benefit to have unity across our diversity. IMO this is an important dialogue to have for a large, regional and multicultural nation like Canada, and one that is stymied by a government policy that actively advocates against it.

The Canada successive generations would identify with in the past doesn't really exist anymore - at least not in the big cities.

In addition, I would also suggest the following comment:

Hah. Even now, all it would take is one visit back to the ethnic homeland to really drive home just how Canadian you are. My parents are immigrants and their circle of friends is largely confined to people from their homeland, but they identify as Canadian all the same. After 40 or so years in Canada, there is just no going back for them.

Somehow despite our relentless deconstructing of what it is to be Canadian and our seemingly intractable refusal to articulate a Canadian identity it still manages to exist and to communicate itself to immigrants who have been here for many years as well as to newcomers. Being Canadian is not solely about being a displaced person from another homeland. Being Canadian is also about integration into something bigger and something 'other' that transforms one's former cultural identity. This is a good thing.

I don't agree that Multiculturalism discourages and promotes the separation of cultures. It may support the celebration of unique cultural heritages, but that doesn't mean one can't also be a proud Canadian. There are many that successfully toe the line.

Again, we're talking about a state-funded and mandated government policy here, only. From this perspective it ceases to be an innocuous 'celebration' of cultural heritages, and crosses over to the level of social engineering policy. Not a bad thing necessarily, there are many good policies of social engineering such as the education system etc., as long as we are aware of what it is and not misinterpreting it as minor cultural funding.

Canada is a society of immigrants; new immigrants are doing what older immigrants have been doing since the country was founded - forging their identity largely based on that of their homeland. It just seems 'Un-Canadian' to us because we see what older generations established as the norm.

I disagree. Older generations of Canadian immigrants did not simply create cultural replicas of their homelands. They kept some traditions from the homeland, often adapting them; they adopted new ones and integrated them into their lives; and they often turned their backs on many aspects of the homeland, as cultural baggage so to speak, usually the very reasons they left their homelands in the first place. French Canadians, as an abandoned people, did this fairly rapidly. English Canadians, as a colonial people, were slower to do it but have. Again, we cannot view identity in a vacuum as a stagnant and unchanging entity. The 'norms' you mention form the underlying ethos that transcend all the other changes and evolutions. They are extremely important to a society and form its foundational 'mythology', surrounding bigger and deeper issues of how we perceive rights and freedoms, of how we perceive law, order and the duty of citizenship, and other core beliefs that underpin identity while also being a reflection of it. This is what Canada should be educating its citizens on, whether born or immigrant, creating unity across the more superficial aspects of diversity.

Immigrants living in close proximity is nothing new either. It's hard to adapt to life in a new country, and it helps to have those nearby that you can relate to and share the experience with. Born Canadians do the same thing - that might be why it seems so alarming now. With a record percentage of immigrants in the city, something that was easier to ignore is now seen as a threat. Many who didn't care to really mingle with those of other cultures are now a bit insecure about large groups of immigrants doing the same thing. I've always wondered why people expect immigrants to assimilate into a new culture when people who were born here often don't do much to make the process any easier.

I sense in your posts that for you the crux of this issue very much centres on a divide between Canadians born here of traditional backgrounds and newcomers of 'non-traditional' backgrounds? Of course there is always a certain measure of this. Some people don't like change or see the need for it. In general, however, Canadians born of traditional backgrounds have proven themselves to be about the most tolerant and liberal social groups you will ever find, willing and wanting to open their doors and embrace a new and diverse post-colonial reality. One may choose to view them uniformly as uptight intolerant 'Loyalist' wasps who wouldn't deign to mix and mingle with those of less pure pedigree - and those people do exist as a very rarified minority - but the irony here is the different observation that the groups most often the least resistant to change and the least tolerant of other communities and cultures are often immigrant communities themselves. Canadians are accustomed to immigration and living with people with 'funny' names and accents and from all kinds of different backgrounds. It's part of our history, culture and identity to experience this, unlike that of many other more conservative countries that do not. In other words the divide you talk about is not perhaps as one-dimensional as one may think.

In any case, I stand by my statement that immigrant families integrate their background with Canadian ideals increasingly through successive generations. As Hipster Duck pointed out, we don't have any stats to support this, so much of it is anecdotal evidence. It kind of reminds me of the perception people have in the ROC of Toronto as a crime magnet, when in reality it's one of the safest cities in the country.

In my experience, the vast majority of friends I have that are 1st generation born Canadians have very different attitudes than those of their parents. It's pretty much inevitable, even if you live in a community with people from the same country. We see a lot more interracial couples and it's becoming increasingly common to see people of different backgrounds at a cultural event. While there is a contingent of immigrants that isolate themselves, I suspect this will always be the case to a certain degree...just as there will probably always be a certain group of Canadians who've been here for generations that don't care to mix outside their own group. At the end of the day you can't force people to interact with others if they don't want to.

Inter-racial couples are a sign of a healthy, integrating post-Multicultural society, and not of the ethnic 'mosaic' approach that the Canadian government officially supports. I'm not here to bash Canada. As others have said here it has been largely successful at diversifying itself, welcoming newcomers and accommodating diversity in all areas including religion, sex and gender, and absolutely there are many people integrating here, mixing and mingling and forming diverse lives, all in spite of any government policy, which makes you wonder just how effective the policy and the funding are. My point though is that we should actually be encouraging this further through other appropriate policies and funding. As you say, immigrants will always have a tendancy to cluster among their own kind and cultural values and traditions from the homeland will always be celebrated within homes and communities to one degree or another. No problem, and this needs little help from a government mandate (as already observed even a 'melting pot' USA is still very multicultural 'on the ground' so to speak). What does need help from a government mandate is the encouraging of unity and integration, and a process of 'assimilation' that helps those immigrants settle and prosper in ways that relying solely on the adopted cultural community cannot.

Last edited:
I don't take any lectures from a self-loathing hater of ethnic clubs who is given to posts that scapegoat and bash refugees.

And you were mentioning strawmen earlier?

Yes, Magus. Me and keithz, we're all just racist immigrants who hate ourselves. And Tewder is obviously a Nazi. I suppose that's an easier conclusion than actually thinking about why we all happen to find problems with multiculturalism despite different backgrounds and experiences. And even though I posted a study which clearly supports my position, I'm just "ignoring stats".

Your claim that I "bash" refugees and am some sort of self-loathing racist simply seem to show that you are approach this from a very childish binary perspective where anyone who has any complaint about anything that involves immigration is automatically a racist. Anyone who even brings it up is a racist. Even if they are minorities. Even if they complain that what we have now breeds racism and tension. Well, that's not going to go anywhere. If ethnic fragmentation and "balkanization" is your idea of diversity, well so be it. I want to see the country become more diverse and harmonious, and people like you are stopping that from happening.

If you have anything substantial to say, I'll respond, but otherwise I'm taking the route Tewder took earlier and don't plan on responding to your further posts.

If we want to do stat bombing:

http://restructure.wordpress.com/20...ort-discrimination-compared-to-their-parents/

Quoting studies will always yield different results.
Oh there are definitely problems, but there's nothing in that study that suggests that the problems are the result of multiculturalism as a policy. In fact, the study you linked to is co-authored by the same professor who wrote the paper I linked to, Jeffrey Reitz. He also authored this study, which concludes that multiculturalism isn't the problem. Abandoning it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Clearly there is a fundamental difference between comparing Italians to Anglo-Saxon Canadians, versus comparing Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, African, etc, Canadians. There is a very obvious reason why the trends might not be the same.
Yes and no. Nowadays no Western society seems very foreign to a Canadian. But it wasn't that long ago that Jews and Catholics for example were despised by the WASP majority. There's a long history of violence between Protestants and Catholics in Canada in the 1800s, much worse than any problems we're facing today.

I would probably agree that Canada has the best model. But is being the best of such poor examples really something to be proud of, and should we not point out the faults which are still there?
Absolutely.

I guess we had different experiences. I had several friends leave Waterloo and transfer to other universities because they felt too much isolation there. I would wager it is different from different programs.
Maybe. The Arts and ES faculties were very mixed, and that included international students.

I agree with Jenny that it is easy to cherry-pick tainted and extremely questionable stats/research to defend one's point... and is this really the forum for that? We're discussing concepts here, no harm nor foul. I'm not attacking *you* for supporting Multiculturalism. I'm interested to know why you do but reserve the right to disagree without being accused of racism or xenophobia. We all live in this Multicultural society, experiencing it daily and thereby forming our own impressions. It is no conincidence that you are hearing first hand reports here from Canadians of differing ethnic and cultural backgrounds who are experiencing very similar troubling trends with respect to the real consequences of government policy. Do you not care to even discuss this openly and question why?, or even entertain the notion that maybe a government policy is wrong??
Maybe you should be asking yourself the same question. When you stop throwing around words like racism and xonophobia when I haven't accused you of anything of the sort, when you stop dismissing research on the topic as tainted with no evidence to back that up, and when you stop looking at this with your preconceived notions of what multiculturalism actually is, then we can discuss this openly.

Except that under Multiculturalism ethnic communities are now encouraged *not* to integrate. Why do supporters of Multiculturalism overlook this?? Are you for integration or not?? Our government's policy is one of actively promoting and funding balkanization, and this is what we should be discussing instead of strawman arguments surrounding immigration policy or xenophobia etc. Yes, there is always a natural tendancy for immigrant groups to cluster, as with for franco or anglo-Canadian groups for that matter, which is all the more reason why our government must encourage balance by having some policies in place for creating unity and integration between all Canadians.
As the author of the studies that both Jenny and I have linked to says (paraphrased), "the original idea of multiculturalism saw integration as the marker of success: A second generation equally accepted in the mainstream and in the ethnic community." (link) This is very similar to one of the stated objectives of the Multiculturalism Act, 1985: "promote the full and equitable participation of individuals and communities of all origins in the continuing evolution and shaping of all aspects of Canadian society and assist them in the elimination of any barrier to such participation."

Yes, it also supports immigrant communities and their languages but to say that the aim of multiculturalism is to encourage immigrants not to integrate, or to discourage participation in society, is simply false. BTW, another goal of the Act is to encourage people from different immigrant communities to mingle with each other, which is the opposite of your accusations.

Careful now. I never suggested I was anti-immigration. In fact, I'd like to see immigration expanded. My complaints only lie with how we settle and integrate immigrants.
I didn't say you were. I'm just saying why the "I'm not anti-immigrant, I'm an immigrant myself" argument is illogical.

Last edited:
He also authored this study, which concludes that multiculturalism isn't the problem. Abandoning it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I read through the article and find it problematic, and certainly not the slam-dunk case for Multiculturalism you find it to be, which is fair enough but worthy of further discussion...

For me the very premise is wrong, that you can somehow promote integration by 'governmentally mandating/funding' cultural diversity. The objectives are simply at odds. As has been argued ad nauseum throughout this discussion by those against Multiculturalism, and not disputed too strongly by those for it by the way, there is nothing whatsoever that prevents/hinders Canadian diversity or freedom of cultural expression. All the charter laws are in place to ensure this. As such, this is clearly not where government efforts or funds are wisely directed. As the article does state, the current situation or status quo is clearly not working, and if not why continue to pursue it? For me the greater logic is to direct the funds and efforts to policies of integration and assimilation which might be able to create a sense of unity among disparate groups (religious, ethnic, racial etc). The idea being that instead of defining cultural divisions that inherently underscore 'difference' our government should be defining commonality (basic human commonality, and more specific 'Canadian' commonality) that would encourage all Canadians to have some levels to relate to each other on in the face of so many differences.

Maybe you should be asking yourself the same question. When you stop throwing around words like racism and xonophobia when I haven't accused you of anything of the sort...

I wasn't accusing you of this. I was speaking more broadly of the accusations many of us face, and in this very thread as a good example, if you voice objection to Multicultural policy. There are disingenuous factions on both sides of the debate, obviously, but the objective should always be what's right for the country and people of this country in the long run.

As the author of the studies that both Jenny and I have linked to says (paraphrased), "the original idea of multiculturalism saw integration as the marker of success: A second generation equally accepted in the mainstream and in the ethnic community." (link) This is very similar to one of the stated objectives of the Multiculturalism Act, 1985: "promote the full and equitable participation of individuals and communities of all origins in the continuing evolution and shaping of all aspects of Canadian society and assist them in the elimination of any barrier to such participation."

Again, I find the means at odds with the objectives. Our laws protect full and equitable participation, but the promotion or encouragement to actually participate must come from acculturation and integrationist policies rather than from the sort of inherently divisive Multicultural policies we see, which in the end contribute to the sense of disenfranchisment the article describes being the actual reality.
[/QUOTE]

This is probably bad forum ettiqute, but i'm going to go back to the original artical that this thread is about.

The writer completely sums up why i'm in love with Toronto, and why I cannot wait to get there next year. Seriously, you guys don't know how good you've got it. Every day that passes is one day less until I reach my spiritual home. And in all honesty, i'd say he was doing the city a slight diservice by saying it isn't an overly attractive city...personally I think Toronto is beautiful. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, hence its precarious nature. I've travelled fairly extensively, but i'm happy to tell anyone that Toronto is my favourite city in the world (sorry Plymouth, I still love you too!!). Keep her safe until next May!

James

Excellent. Toronto needs more people like you, and something tells me you're going to enjoy it here immensely. It is a great place. I'm excited for you that you get to live here an experience it with new fresh eyes.

I read through the article and find it problematic, and certainly not the slam-dunk case for Multiculturalism you find it to be, which is fair enough but worthy of further discussion...

For me the very premise is wrong, that you can somehow promote integration by 'governmentally mandating/funding' cultural diversity. The objectives are simply at odds. As has been argued ad nauseum throughout this discussion by those against Multiculturalism, and not disputed too strongly by those for it by the way, there is nothing whatsoever that prevents/hinders Canadian diversity or freedom of cultural expression. All the charter laws are in place to ensure this. As such, this is clearly not where government efforts or funds are wisely directed. As the article does state, the current situation or status quo is clearly not working, and if not why continue to pursue it? For me the greater logic is to direct the funds and efforts to policies of integration and assimilation which might be able to create a sense of unity among disparate groups (religious, ethnic, racial etc). The idea being that instead of defining cultural divisions that inherently underscore 'difference' our government should be defining commonality (basic human commonality, and more specific 'Canadian' commonality) that would encourage all Canadians to have some levels to relate to each other on in the face of so many differences.
Multiculturalism doesn't fund cultural divisions. It funds programs that encourage people from different backgrounds to mingle with each other. Maybe you should read up on some of the actual programs that are funded by multiculturalism. Like "Involve Youth", which gets youth of all backgrounds involved in community groups and public life. It focuses on the poorest neighbourhoods in Toronto. Or "Towards an Inclusive Society", which was designed to build partnerships between service providers and ethnic groups in Edmonton.

The 2007-2008 Annual Report on the Multiculturalism Act concludes with the following priorities:

1. Supporting economic, social, and cultural integration of new Canadians and cultural communities;
2. Facilitating programs such as mentorship, volunteerism, leadership, and civic education among at-risk cultural youth;
3. Promoting inter-cultural understanding and Canadian values (democracy, freedom, human rights and rule of law) through community initiatives, with the objective of addressing issues of cultural social exclusion (parallel communities) and radicalization.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/publications/multi-report2008/part2.asp#public

I think you're getting too hung up on the word multiculturalism and not looking at what's actually being done.

Again, I find the means at odds with the objectives. Our laws protect full and equitable participation, but the promotion or encouragement to actually participate must come from acculturation and integrationist policies rather than from the sort of inherently divisive Multicultural policies we see, which in the end contribute to the sense of disenfranchisment the article describes being the actual reality.
Like I said, repeating it doesn't make it true. What evidence do you have that programs like the ones above contribute to disenfranchisement? I've shown you research that backs up my point, which is a lot more credible than personal anecdotes. Let's see the research that backs up yours.

Going back to the original article, I still don't get how multi-culturalism is some big sales point for Toronto. How many people really go to visit cities that are multi-cultural? And how many really move for one because it's multi-cultural?

I really think the only reason we carp on and on about our multi-culturalism is because we don't have much else to brag about in Toronto. London is multi-cultural, yet they don't brag about it. Ditto for Sydney and Paris. If that's our punchline, it's just sad.

Multiculturalism doesn't fund cultural divisions. It funds programs that encourage people from different backgrounds to mingle with each other. Maybe you should read up on some of the actual programs that are funded by multiculturalism. Like "Involve Youth", which gets youth of all backgrounds involved in community groups and public life. It focuses on the poorest neighbourhoods in Toronto. Or "Towards an Inclusive Society", which was designed to build partnerships between service providers and ethnic groups in Edmonton.

The 2007-2008 Annual Report on the Multiculturalism Act concludes with the following priorities:

1. Supporting economic, social, and cultural integration of new Canadians and cultural communities;
2. Facilitating programs such as mentorship, volunteerism, leadership, and civic education among at-risk cultural youth;
3. Promoting inter-cultural understanding and Canadian values (democracy, freedom, human rights and rule of law) through community initiatives, with the objective of addressing issues of cultural social exclusion (parallel communities) and radicalization.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/publications/multi-report2008/part2.asp#public

I think you're getting too hung up on the word multiculturalism and not looking at what's actually being done.

Like I said, repeating it doesn't make it true. What evidence do you have that programs like the ones above contribute to disenfranchisement? I've shown you research that backs up my point, which is a lot more credible than personal anecdotes. Let's see the research that backs up yours.

The policies you cite, your so-called 'research', have only been expressed as Multicultural 'priorities' for a little over a year. They also change and evolve over time. It's nice to quote government propaganda but what does this verbage actually translate to in reality? Where do the funds go? What programs are actually getting funded? How successful are the programs? How does the policy work at all levels, including provincially and municipally, and what is the relevance of the Multiculturalism Act itself today? You may be quick to dismiss the viewpoint of real Canadians as 'anecdotal' but in fact a little more sensitivity to this will give you clues as to how successful Multiculturalism proves to be, rather than simply quoting the government line.

Hmm, real Canadians...as opposed to what, those who support these policies are "fake" ones?

I think this particular slip of the tongue is particularly enlightening.

AoD

Thanks Jenny. I'm not sure what AoD is insinuating but I consider you and Keithz and myself and all others expressing anecdotal views here to be 'real' Canadians.

northern magus,

your kind had its day. enjoy your memories of the 1990s, when discussion of the greater issues faced by diverse societies could be silenced with a single, moralistically delivered word.

The policies you cite, your so-called 'research', have only been expressed as Multicultural 'priorities' for a little over a year. They also change and evolve over time.
So when the policies and priorities are exactly what you're arguing for, you're still not happy? You say you want programs that encourage integration, and I showed you programs that are doing just that. So what would work better? That's a serious question, what specific things would you have the government do to encourage integration of newcomers that it's not already doing? BTW, the research, from what I've read, favours more focus on integration as well. That could be why the policies seem to be going in that direction.

It's nice to quote government propaganda but what does this verbage actually translate to in reality? Where do the funds go? What programs are actually getting funded?
I showed you that link to show you where the funds go and what programs are actually getting funded. If you'd read it you could answer your own questions.

How successful are the programs? How does the policy work at all levels, including provincially and municipally, and what is the relevance of the Multiculturalism Act itself today?
Well since you're so quick to dismiss the research that looks at these very questions, I guess you'll never find out.

You may be quick to dismiss the viewpoint of real Canadians as 'anecdotal' but in fact a little more sensitivity to this will give you clues as to how successful Multiculturalism proves to be, rather than simply quoting the government line.
I guess professors who study ethnicity and culture aren't real Canadians. :rolleyes:

Somehow despite our relentless deconstructing of what it is to be Canadian and our seemingly intractable refusal to articulate a Canadian identity it still manages to exist and to communicate itself to immigrants who have been here for many years as well as to newcomers. Being Canadian is not solely about being a displaced person from another homeland. Being Canadian is also about integration into something bigger and something 'other' that transforms one's former cultural identity. This is a good thing.

If that's something that already ends up happening, what's the problem? Isn't that what you'd like to see?

Again, we're talking about a state-funded and mandated government policy here, only. From this perspective it ceases to be an innocuous 'celebration' of cultural heritages, and crosses over to the level of social engineering policy. Not a bad thing necessarily, there are many good policies of social engineering such as the education system etc., as long as we are aware of what it is and not misinterpreting it as minor cultural funding.

What do you suggest be done then?

I disagree. Older generations of Canadian immigrants did not simply create cultural replicas of their homelands. They kept some traditions from the homeland, often adapting them; they adopted new ones and integrated them into their lives; and they often turned their backs on many aspects of the homeland, as cultural baggage so to speak, usually the very reasons they left their homelands in the first place. French Canadians, as an abandoned people, did this fairly rapidly. English Canadians, as a colonial people, were slower to do it but have. Again, we cannot view identity in a vacuum as a stagnant and unchanging entity. The 'norms' you mention form the underlying ethos that transcend all the other changes and evolutions. They are extremely important to a society and form its foundational 'mythology', surrounding bigger and deeper issues of how we perceive rights and freedoms, of how we perceive law, order and the duty of citizenship, and other core beliefs that underpin identity while also being a reflection of it. This is what Canada should be educating its citizens on, whether born or immigrant, creating unity across the more superficial aspects of diversity.

This is essentially what happens now.

I sense in your posts that for you the crux of this issue very much centres on a divide between Canadians born here of traditional backgrounds and newcomers of 'non-traditional' backgrounds? Of course there is always a certain measure of this. Some people don't like change or see the need for it. In general, however, Canadians born of traditional backgrounds have proven themselves to be about the most tolerant and liberal social groups you will ever find, willing and wanting to open their doors and embrace a new and diverse post-colonial reality. One may choose to view them uniformly as uptight intolerant 'Loyalist' wasps who wouldn't deign to mix and mingle with those of less pure pedigree - and those people do exist as a very rarified minority - but the irony here is the different observation that the groups most often the least resistant to change and the least tolerant of other communities and cultures are often immigrant communities themselves. Canadians are accustomed to immigration and living with people with 'funny' names and accents and from all kinds of different backgrounds. It's part of our history, culture and identity to experience this, unlike that of many other more conservative countries that do not. In other words the divide you talk about is not perhaps as one-dimensional as one may think.

This is the problem. You're willing to admit there are some insulated groups among Canadian born citizens, but then paint almost all immigrants with the same brush. The majority of immigrants adapt to life here; it's not as though all of them just recreate their old lives.

One of my points that it probably isn't very realistic to expect all immigrants to integrate exactly as you want them to when many Canadians have a hard time integrating with an evolving Canadian society.

Inter-racial couples are a sign of a healthy, integrating post-Multicultural society, and not of the ethnic 'mosaic' approach that the Canadian government officially supports. I'm not here to bash Canada. As others have said here it has been largely successful at diversifying itself, welcoming newcomers and accommodating diversity in all areas including religion, sex and gender, and absolutely there are many people integrating here, mixing and mingling and forming diverse lives, all in spite of any government policy, which makes you wonder just how effective the policy and the funding are. My point though is that we should actually be encouraging this further through other appropriate policies and funding. As you say, immigrants will always have a tendancy to cluster among their own kind and cultural values and traditions from the homeland will always be celebrated within homes and communities to one degree or another. No problem, and this needs little help from a government mandate (as already observed even a 'melting pot' USA is still very multicultural 'on the ground' so to speak). What does need help from a government mandate is the encouraging of unity and integration, and a process of 'assimilation' that helps those immigrants settle and prosper in ways that relying solely on the adopted cultural community cannot.

First of all, assuming most immigrants fall into the group you're lumping them, what do you suggest is done to ensure this? You keep mentioning the government has to create policies that result in integration and assimilation, but you don't really detail what exactly these policies should be. I highly doubt you'd be seeing a 100% conversion rate either.

The government has policies on racism, discrimination and tolerance; yet there are still many in this country who harbour racist views or have problems with some group or another.

Progressive government policies are a must, but you can't force people to think or live a certain way. Most immigrants do integrate successfully (especially with each successive generation). I really don't know what the government could possibly do to ensure they all do this.

Back