Toronto Art Shoppe Condos | 98.75m | 28s | Freed | a—A

I *think* the present Art Shoppe frontage is by Parkin--and interestingly enough, it's like a discount rendition of Parkin's 70s AGO, even has the same font...

It is not registering with you, clearly.

The major node is the corner, not 3 blocks south deep into the boundary of single family housing that is sought to be preserved.

Boundaries are vital to the success of proper intensification planning. Otherwise you get height, shadow, wind, congestion creep invading areas where it wasn't contemplated. Look at Manhattan south of 42nd Street. There's a huge gap in skyscrapers until you get downtown.

There are literally endless opportunities for intensification in the GTA. If there were not then there would not be 20,000 unsold units sitting on the market. They would have been scooped up already. But the market knows that across the street, around the corner or down the block another monster building will appear soon that will compromise the value of the existing one.

The 'major node' is not only the corner. To believe so is to take just as blinkered a view of planning and growth policy as the intentionally-myopic and (at times) sickeningly-populist local councillor. Boundaries such as the ones you describe seem authoritative but when broken down are really just arbitrary lines in the proverbial sand.

There are also certainly not 'endless opportunities for intensification in the GTA' - and fewer still 300m from the confluence of a subway line, a future light rail line and a large bus hub. There are also certainly not '20,000 unsold units sitting on the market' but I'd be curious to see if you can produce reliable statistics which back that position.

The 'major node' is not only the corner. To believe so is to take just as blinkered a view of planning and growth policy as the intentionally-myopic and (at times) sickeningly-populist local councillor. Boundaries such as the ones you describe seem authoritative but when broken down are really just arbitrary lines in the proverbial sand.

This is clearly not a growth policy...rather a maintain the status quo as much as possible policy.

Mixed-use buildings on Yonge are no threat to the abutting residential streets...it does not affect the "character" of the surrounding neighbourhood. In fact, mixing in highrises on residential streets seem to work just fine, as the area north-east of Y&E clearly shows.

Thinking that major intensification can only happen in the quadrant blocks at the intersection of Y&E isn't much of a planning policy...it's a political policy.

This is clearly not a growth policy...rather a maintain the status quo as much as possible policy.

Mixed-use buildings on Yonge are no threat to the abutting residential streets...it does not affect the "character" of the surrounding neighbourhood. In fact, mixing in highrises on residential streets seem to work just fine, as the area north-east of Y&E clearly shows.

Thinking that major intensification can only happen in the quadrant blocks at the intersection of Y&E isn't much of a planning policy...it's a political policy.

To further this, last week at a public meeting for the project at Holly / Dunfield, a resident demanded to know how the neighbourhood could be exempted from the Yonge Eglinton Secondary Plan. Instead of explaining to the resident why the plan was in place and what kind of future it envisions, Matlow blustered that the proposal was absurd (it isn't) and that he would never support it (he knows he'll lose at the OMB but will still look like a hero to the fawning hoards). Base populism at work folks.

There are also certainly not 'endless opportunities for intensification in the GTA' - and fewer still 300m from the confluence of a subway line, a future light rail line and a large bus hub. There are also certainly not '20,000 unsold units sitting on the market' but I'd be curious to see if you can produce reliable statistics which back that position.

You're right. I stand corrected. There are 23,000 as of November 2013:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-builders-pick-their-targets/article15435957/

Sales of new units fell 27 per cent in the first nine months of 2013 from the same period in 2012. Even as inventory stands at about 23,000 units, building is intensifying, points out John Andrew, director of Queen’s executive seminars on corporate and investment real estate. He says buyers purchased about 3,000 units in three months.

There are currently 18,293 unsold units...as of today. Sorry CN, but PE is correct. There just aren't 20,000. In fact, today's numbers represent the lowest amount of unsold units since mid-2012.

Right. Knocking down a single storey building and replacing it with 250,000 square feet of density over 15 or so floors is status quo. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Im no real esate expert but 20,000 unsold units in a city our size sounds reasonable, or fairly tight.

Right. Knocking down a single storey building and replacing it with 250,000 square feet of density over 15 or so floors is status quo.

The status quo I was referring to was maintaining the idea that only the 4 blocks of the Y&E intersection should be for major intensification.

Im no real esate expert but 20,000 unsold units in a city our size sounds reasonable, or fairly tight.

The key is that 90% or more of units are sold by the time buildings are completed. The current 18,000 unsold units are nothing to be alarmed about. They really are the developer's profit so they don't really care about selling them immediately and they will be absorbed over time - sometimes at a discount but it's never at a loss. This isn't China. We build things according to the market.

Spotted last night:

IMG_00000517.jpg

IMG_00000521.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_00000517.jpg
    IMG_00000517.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_00000521.jpg
    IMG_00000521.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 652
Where are they moving too ?? Its a giant store.

From Josh Matlow:

"Art Shoppe Mediation Results to be Considered at Late August Council Meeting

Earlier this year, the applicants for the Art Shoppe development chose to bypass the democratic process and take their proposal directly to the OMB. At the pre-hearing, I ensured that our community's interests were well represented by City Planning and Legal staff. The OMB suggested mediation instead of a full hearing.

I worked very closely with the South Eglinton Residents' and Ratepayers' Association (SERRA) and the Quantum Owners and Residents Association (QuORA) representing the nearby condo owners. The results of the mediation will be presented as a confidential item to City Council in late August. While I am not legally allowed to share the results of the mediation at this time, I can say that I believe the community members and City staff were able to achieve the best result possible, given the situation. I, along with local residents, fought hard to mitigate the impact this development could have on the adjacent neighbourhood and condos next door. I also believe it is vital to protect Yonge Street, south of Hillsdale, from being developed with heights greater than Parisian-style midrise.

I will share the details of the resolution in my City Council update after the August Council meeting."

From Josh Matlow:

I, along with local residents, fought hard to mitigate the impact this development could have on the adjacent neighbourhood and condos next door.

This is so tiring. Thank goodness for the OMB. These should be 50 storeys or more. If we keep putting up all these midget buildings on major nodes we will have totally destroyed Toronto's chances of becoming a large, busy and truly interesting city. We are on the way there but it is by no means assured while this kind of disgraceful NIMBYism still abounds. If you want low density move to Scarborough or Huntsville but Y&E needs to be developed.

Back