Toronto Aria | ?m | 19s | Fernbrook Homes | Rafael + Bigauskas

According to our sale agreement there are going to be three underground parking levels, so that's likely P3 in your photos.

Thanks for that by the way!

Drove by the site yesterday on my way home from work and there's quite a bit of activity going on (even after 5:00pm). I noticed that a second crane has been delivered to the site, though it's not built yet. The site is actually massive, I'll try and snap some pics in a few days.

Edit: Second crane is now up.

Last edited:
Couple of updated pics:

Attachments

• IMG00115-20090622-1701.jpg
    IMG00115-20090622-1701.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG00116-20090622-1701.jpg
    IMG00116-20090622-1701.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG00117-20090622-1701.jpg
    IMG00117-20090622-1701.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 360
PE - look at it this way: this McMansard project could work like a giant piece of fly paper, pulling people who like this kind of architecture away from other more essential parts of town, making McMansard less likely to sprout SoBlo...

ProjectEnd: Just curious - are you one of these people who consider what they have or own to be the best out there, not even considering that ugly overpriced disfunctional condos in our downtown will not appear to everybody? Such a narrowmindness, unbelievable...

Bash_Maistor welcome to UT ~

please don't take individual member's posts personally, you will find that forums are very opinated ... particularly many on UT totally hates precast classical-attempt designs and loves glass + steel towers (like architectsAlliance's work)

I for one (being the odd one out) don't find the design of Aria Residences disgusting ... I don't mind its 'attempt' of classical French architecture (not to comment whether it is successful), but I simply admire the fact that this is different and unique from other typical glass + steel towers (such as nearby Concord Park Place) :)

As Solaris said, you can't take everything people say on forums to heart. You'll quickly learn that people value different things. For me personally, I don't find the architecture of Aria offensive in any way, and actually welcome the change from the typically praised glass boxes found elsewhere in the city and on this forum. It's also important to note that most condo buyers buy into a particular project for a variety of reasons, not just how the condo looks from the outside.

Location, amenities, pricing, builder reputation, etc. all weigh heavily on the decision to purchase.

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

ProjectEnd: Just curious - are you one of these people who consider what they have or own to be the best out there, not even considering that ugly overpriced disfunctional condos in our downtown will not appear to everybody? Such a narrowmindness, unbelievable...

By 'appear,' are you referencing the way that a beautiful, tumescent, glass condo such as Casa seems to disappear when viewed from some angles? Such an apparition is a beautiful sight to be sure, but one which will not be possible with the bloated, historicist nonsense presented at 'Aria.'

As an aside, if you're going to create an account on UT solely to question a longstanding member's post, shouldn't you spell/grammar check it first?

I don't find the architecture of Aria offensive in any way, and actually welcome the change from the typically praised glass boxes found elsewhere in the city and on this forum.

No offense but, the typically "praised" glass box is pretty much confined to the downtown unlike this historicist schlock which is just about everywhere else.

No offense but, the typically "praised" glass box is pretty much confined to the downtown unlike this historicist schlock which is just about everywhere else.

No offense taken, as I've said elsewhere, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I fully agree that most glass box condo's/buildings are located in the downtown area, but that doesn't address the fact that many members of this forum tend to love them while ranting about most others. Just look at ProjectEnd's post above yours to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy the all-glass condo's located in and around downtown such as Casa but I also like variety. Beauty is after all in the eyes of the beholder ;)

Actually, no. You're confusing the fact that everyone has opinions with the notion that there can therefore be no wrong ones, promoting the idea that there is no difference between the educated eye and the uneducated one, and the notion that design culture and marketing culture exist on a level playing field where both inevitably produce buildings of equal architectural merit.

Variety is after all, the spice of life. All Aria carries however, is the putrid stench of death.

Historical influences in architecture are welcome when they are handled by someone who believes in what his or her architecture can say. Take Stern for example. When One St. Charles was going up, I couldn't stand the thought of some historicist shlock rising in the downtown core. By the time it was finished however, I had completely reversed my position since it was evident that the architect had put some thought into what he was creating. This position was confirmed last week when I had the chance to meet with Mr. Stern at Yale (in Rudolph's fantastic A+A Building!) and speak to him about what architecture is, isn't; what it might be, what it can't be and so on. Though it was clear that we both came from differing aesthetic camps, we were able to find common ground in the fact that we both agreed that 'the city' is a conversation between different buildings, styles, epochs, material uses, etc. It was quite a privilege to hear someone speak passionately about a style which is not my own personal preference, but was so well defended that one cannot help but smile and think: 'he's right, you know.'

And the Gucci loafers...oh, the Gucci loafers.

My longwinded point is historic references/influences in architecture are welcome. This however, is not just historicist, it is just plain crap.

Back