Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

I am more irked by those rows of transoms in the second floor windows than the branch. Looking on the bright side, the branch will attract foot traffic and give the area a bit of pedestrian activity. It's not a bustling Queen Street restaurant, but it's also not the end of the world.

Two comparison shots taken 5 years apart from approximately the same spot along the Water's Edge Pomenade in East Bayfront. First shot taken on a late afternoon in January of 2016. Second shot taken midday in March 2021 showing Aqualina and Aquavista condos completed.

IMG_20210330_100336.jpg

Attachments

• 2021-03-25_02-40-46 (1).jpg
    2021-03-25_02-40-46 (1).jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF3027.jpg
    DSCF3027.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the comparison! Not bad - but the growth of the trees doesn't seem as rapid as the stretch by Sugar Beach/Corus in similar timeframes:

The allées were almost touching along that stretch in front of Corus by the 5 year mark (2010-2015).

1617124081674.png

I *think* the stretch in front of the Aquas started off with smaller plantings than the stretch above did.

AoD

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison! Not bad - but the growth of the trees doesn't seem as rapid as the stretch by Sugar Beach/Corus in similar timeframes:

The allées were almost touching along that stretch in front of Corus by the 5 year mark (2010-2015).

View attachment 309018

I *think* the stretch in front of the Aquas started off with smaller plantings than the stretch above did.

AoD

I think the older trees benefited from all of those years of flooding we saw from 2010-2015

I think the older trees benefited from all of those years of flooding we saw from 2010-2015

Years of flooding in 10-15? I can only think of the one major flood during that time period. I thought most of our 100 year floods were in the last few years (same with the high lake levels).

AoD

View attachment 309018

AoD

It is lovely, but I remain worried that to produce that allée every single tree used is a clone cultivar.

Essentially all identical genetically as if they were the same individual.

Should any disease/pest adversely effect Silver Maples (or specifically this cultivar), we will lose them all at once.

I would love to have seen this idea but change species every 5-10 trees in the row.

This could be used to have contrasting fall colours and forms too.

It is lovely, but I remain worried that to produce that allée every single tree used is a clone cultivar.

Essentially all identical genetically as if they were the same individual.

Should any disease/pest adversely effect Silver Maples (or specifically this cultivar), we will lose them all at once.

I would love to have seen this idea but change species every 5-10 trees in the row.

This could be used to have contrasting fall colours and forms too.

They will be doing that along QQE.

AoD

They will be doing that along QQE.

AoD

I might have had something to do with that......

(not involved in the design, but this is a discussion I had directly w/WT)

Several other changes in the QQE design also mirror suggestions I made.

In my experience WT staff are often good listeners.

Back