Toronto Aquabella at Bayside | 50.9m | 14s | Tridel | 3XN

I feel like this is a constant refrain for the trees on the waterfront, and I don’t understand why. It’s deeply upsetting.
Initially WT planted many trees along QQW and the western part of the waterfront promenade that were really not suitable, most of the dead ones were replanted in 2018 (?) and almost all now appear to be in pretty good shape. The original (maple) trees around Sugar Beach have almost all survived and are magnificent. If some of the (newer) trees on the eastern part of the waterfront promenade around Aquabella are not doing well I suspect they were 'interfered with' during construction. @Northern Light may have a better informed comment!

Initially WT planted many trees along QQW and the western part of the waterfront promenade that were really not suitable, most of the dead ones were replanted in 2018 (?) and almost all now appear to be in pretty good shape. The original (maple) trees around Sugar Beach have almost all survived and are magnificent. If some of the (newer) trees on the eastern part of the waterfront promenade around Aquabella are not doing well I suspect they were 'interfered with' during construction. @Northern Light may have a better informed comment!
It looks like many of the maple trees on the promenade are sick and dying :( Does anyone know what's happening?

I'll take a look next time I'm down there.

@Lachlan Holmes photos don't seem to show any catastrophic fails.

If there are some, please take pictures.

What I would like to see:

1) The whole tree, so if certain branches are dying back at different heights, it may be indicative of different things.

2) If the leaves look bad, close ups of the leaves would help.

Overall, I thought the promenade trees were looking quite good the last time I was down there.

But that was a few weeks ago.

Photos taken July 4th, 2021:

1625446363009.png

1625446380514.png

1625446412270.png

It looks like many of the maple trees on the promenade are sick and dying :( Does anyone know what's happening?
I'll take a look next time I'm down there.

@Lachlan Holmes photos don't seem to show any catastrophic fails.

If there are some, please take pictures.

What I would like to see:

1) The whole tree, so if certain branches are dying back at different heights, it may be indicative of different things.

2) If the leaves look bad, close ups of the leaves would help.

Overall, I thought the promenade trees were looking quite good the last time I was down there.

But that was a few weeks ago.

So, I decided to look at this area for myself on my walk yesterday.

The first thing I'll say is that most of the trees on the Promenade look healthy.

1625519621133.png

Source; My photo - July 4th, 2021

That said, there are some trees showing stress and 1 or 2 are dying/dead in the vicinity of Sherbourne Common Park South.

You can see the stress in this tree below, which has gone entirely yellow: (note, the fall colour of Acer Freemans is red)

1625519744421.png

Lets have a closer look at the leaves:

1625519822597.png

1625519851109.png

The tips/edges are all crispy........or.....'dried out'.

That led me to thinking about drought......but I wasn't sure..........in part, because so many other trees here are still doing well.
But having circulated the photos...........
The consensus seems to be drought damage.

I'm genuinely curious as to why these particular trees vs others.

Its always possible that less rain hit this spot for whatever reason............
But I wonder if some other combination of factors may be at play.

The City/WT should be encouraged to have a closer look.

I'm wondering about size, soil conditions, and disturbances from construction which is going on nearby.

But I can't definitely point to a cause.

In so far as this is not a disease issue, that's good news, since these trees are all clones, any disease might have devastated them all.

The drought stress, at least the severe examples of it, appear to be relatively few; though you're still looking at multiple trees that may die, and/or go dormant for the year by months' end.

@Northern Light , thanks for your update! I've noticed that the lower branches of numerous trees are covered with white/black bumps - they almost appear to be insect eggs. This is particularly in regard to a handful of the trees that are furthest east along the boardwalk (just before the Aquabella fencing). I'm assuming you saw that and it's not an issue?

Isn't it the caterpillar infestation causing the damage? I believe the trees in the fenced off areas are taped off, awaiting treatment of some sort?

Isn't it the caterpillar infestation causing the damage? I believe the trees in the fenced off areas are taped off, awaiting treatment of some sort?

It would be extremely unusual for gypsy moths to affect Acer Freemans, I think.

Its parents are 'Red Maple' and 'Silver Maple'.

They are classed, respectively, as Resistant and Immune to Gypsy Moth.

@Northern Light , thanks for your update!

You're welcome

I've noticed that the lower branches of numerous trees are covered with white/black bumps - they almost appear to be insect eggs. This is particularly in regard to a handful of the trees that are furthest east along the boardwalk (just before the Aquabella fencing). I'm assuming you saw that and it's not an issue?

I missed that.

A couple of years ago, trees (silver/freeman maples) at Sugar Beach North all looked terrible, and the problem turned out to be 'Galls'.

Could look like this:

1625521862137.png

from: https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Maple-Tree-Problems

If that's the problem, the trees will likely see some deformation/defoliation of leaves, but the tree should be fine. (though it won't look it)

Galls can appear green or greenish/white, to red, to black.

If that's not what it looks like, please take a pic and post it!

You're welcome

I missed that.

A couple of years ago, trees (silver/freeman maples) at Sugar Beach North all looked terrible, and the problem turned out to be 'Galls'.

Could look like this:

View attachment 332704
from: https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Maple-Tree-Problems

If that's the problem, the trees will likely see some deformation/defoliation of leaves, but the tree should be fine. (though it won't look it)

Galls can appear green or greenish/white, to red, to black.

If that's not what it looks like, please take a pic and post it!
Picture I previously took attached - I'm guessing 6-7 trees have this, most of which are covered even more than that picture suggests.
IMG_5657.jpg

Picture I previously took attached - I'm guessing 6-7 trees have this, most of which are covered even more than that picture suggests.View attachment 332734

Hmmm, not something I recall seeing in person before.................

Looks to me like egg masses of some kind............

I'm thinking, maybe, its Cottony Maple Scale.

You can follow the link above, or google for more images and see what you think.

But I'm not sure by any means.

I would suggest sending a pic off to Toronto Parks AND Waterfront Toronto (and asking, and conveying you're not sure if the tree is at risk). It may or may not be, depends on what that is.....

If they don't know, they will probably (one would hope) send someone to look.

The trees in the fenced off area are fenced off for protection - WT are about to start work on the final stage of the water stuff. See: https://mailchi.mp/waterfrontoronto/may-june-newsletter

So, I decided to look at this area for myself on my walk yesterday.

The first thing I'll say is that most of the trees on the Promenade look healthy.

View attachment 332700
Source; My photo - July 4th, 2021

That said, there are some trees showing stress and 1 or 2 are dying/dead in the vicinity of Sherbourne Common Park South.

You can see the stress in this tree below, which has gone entirely yellow: (note, the fall colour of Acer Freemans is red)

View attachment 332701

Lets have a closer look at the leaves:

View attachment 332702

View attachment 332703

The tips/edges are all crispy........or.....'dried out'.

That led me to thinking about drought......but I wasn't sure..........in part, because so many other trees here are still doing well.
But having circulated the photos...........
The consensus seems to be drought damage.

I'm genuinely curious as to why these particular trees vs others.

Its always possible that less rain hit this spot for whatever reason............
But I wonder if some other combination of factors may be at play.

The City/WT should be encouraged to have a closer look.

I'm wondering about size, soil conditions, and disturbances from construction which is going on nearby.

But I can't definitely point to a cause.

In so far as this is not a disease issue, that's good news, since these trees are all clones, any disease might have devastated them all.

The drought stress, at least the severe examples of it, appear to be relatively few; though you're still looking at multiple trees that may die, and/or go dormant for the year by months' end.
I think the yellow leaf tree is one of the ones that the City had to plant 5 or 6 years ago as replacements after someone in PFR approved a movie company cutting down 3 or 4 of the originals so a movie could drive a car into the lake. (Really!) There was lots of outrage here at the time, probably on the Sherbourne Common thread.

Last edited:
Thank you @Northern Light ! I walk along the promenade quite often and I noticed these white bumps on trees since this winter. They were initially just on a couple of trees but then spread to most trees (that’s what it looks like to me).
A couple of trees near the Sugar Beach have lost all of their leaves and are completely dry and naked.
Has anyone reported this to WT already? If not, I am happy to report.

Back