Toronto Alexandra Park Revitalization | 53.48m | 15s | TCHC | SvN

I find U of O lacks in comparison to U of T, and that the St. Lawrence Market area and Byward Market areas are roughly equivalent.

The re-done portion of Bloor St. and Yorkville as a whole surpass any Ottawa equivalents, just as some features of Ottawa are better than Toronto's.

All in all, though, I would say that the two cities are largely equivalent in terms of public realm. Ottawa doesn't have many overhead wires but they don't have streetcars either.

Look at this place steps away from Byward market and tell me it isn't in worse shape than the vast majority of TO:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Ottaw...=AWOXMy749Wej0d901yrDXQ&cbp=12,340.53,,0,3.97

Do consider Ottawa is much smaller, so you need to be fair when comparing ...

Parts of UofT Toronto's campus are hard to surpass anywhere in North America !

This is just silly anyway ... how about lets all admit Ottawa has better food trucks (as apparently some people like that) and leave it at that.

I agree with your google maps reference RC8. That's the Rideau street area, just 30m west of that location (my Yonge st. comparison). I also agree with your U of O/T comparison, St Lawrence Market vs Byward Martket, Bloor, etc... but as a whole, I see two very different public realms. Anyways Taal is right, this is silly and way off topic.

The AGO has a fantastic collection, but does it include works from Van Gogh, Pissaro, Rodin, Matisse, Mueck, Picasso, Cézanne, Warhol, Rubens, Monet, West, Dali, Magritte, and Pollock? I remember visiting the Picasso temp exhibit at the AGO last summer and their permanent collection (especially the group of seven stuff!), which was very impressive, but their collection simply cannot compete with the National Gallery.

While it's a bit simplistic to reduce an Art Gallery's worth to a series of names…

Yes: Van Gogh, Pissarro, Rodin, Matisse, Picasso, Cézanne, Warhol, Rubens, Monet, Dalí, Magritte, Pollock.
No: Mueck, West

You Missed: Waterhouse, Moore, Rembrandt, Hals, Tousignant, Curnoe, Snow, Carr, Goya, Toulouse-Lautrec, Tissot, Stella, Degas, General Idea, Hepworth, Modigliani, Miró, Thomson, Milne, Bernini, Morrisseau, Sisley, Blackwood, and on and on, in no particular order, not all of which will ever be up at the same time, blah blah blah, boy these entirely subjective comparisons between cities get boring fast, sorry but they're never that helpful…

Guys, sorry to be a bore, but this thread is about Alexandra Park Revitalization. We're into 2 pages of food trucks and Ottawa museums now...

Thank you for bringing the discussion back to AP. Personally I am curious about the design the RGI component and how it will related to the Tridel/Teeple projects.

AoD

Walked by the dreary stretch of Dundas across from Kensington yesterday - it appeared that the social housing has been vacated. Can't wait for this crap to be demolished!

So Dundas just past this complex (i.e. to the west) seems to be improving to me ! Slowly but there are more restaurants and what not.

Now the short stretch fronting this complex (i.e. just past Kensington) had a bunch of empty store fronts yes.

I'm really hoping it'll revitalize.

Honestly, Dundas west to me (less this little stretch) seems better to me then it was say 5/10 years ago !

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5T 1H6

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 199742 S01 00 PP Accepted Date: Aug 11, 2014

Project: SFD - Townhouse Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - BLOCK 10A,(14 freehold units) To construct a total of 40 townhouse freehold units. Block 10A (14 units), Block 10B (14 units), and Block 10C (12 units).

IMG_0134.JPG
Pic taken 9 June 2015

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    369.1 KB · Views: 1,143
New east-west connecting street going in to the Alexandra Park neighbourhood:

IMG_7725.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7725.jpg
    IMG_7725.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 982
Great shot! And it looks like the TCHC buildings rising on the far right at the end of the new street. Have they given this new street a moniker?

Haven't checked in a while, but I have not seen a map with new street names down here yet (and yes, those are the townhomes being built at the north end of the SQ site in the background).

Back