Toronto Aga Khan Museum + Ismaili Centre | ?m | ?s | Aga Khan Dev. | Maki and Associates

I can't take pictures but while heading to UFC 129 I did notice the support columns for the second floor of the main building were all up, and the concrete for the SW corner of the upper level had been put in place, where the wall angles outward. The way the building suddenly appears from the DVP is actually a bit imposing, but as long as it's a quality finish I'm sure that will be a good thing! The location could not have been better for a building of this type and architecture, it fits in perfectly.

This project is looking epic. Scale is becoming more clear. The cultural centre side's construction is also looking very cool - and is a fantastic surprise given it has received less of the attention given proximity relative to DVP.

This project is looking epic. Scale is becoming more clear. The cultural centre side's construction is also looking very cool - and is a fantastic surprise given it has received less of the attention given proximity relative to DVP.

Thanks for reviving this thread. I drive by here every day and was just thinking this morning that I haven't seen anything on it in a while. I would love for someone who lives nearby to post some pictures. There is some real interesting stuff going on there.

May 29 Was in the area and wanted to see how the construction was progressing. I agree it is looking "epic".

^^ Thank-you!

The cultural centre is looking very intriguing! I wonder if that is the external layer of the roof or the internal layer? It didn't look to large in the models and renders, but it looks quite large in these pictures. Perhaps the large lot resulted in the height being understated.

May 29 Was in the area and wanted to see how the construction was progressing. I agree it is looking "epic".

I just noticed that on the few left sections where the forms have been removed from the second floor angled walls, temporary support pillars remain. I've been curious about the engineering of those walls and am wondering if the roof will be bearing the horizontal strain, thus making a ring around the internal courtyard a critical part of the exterior wall structure? Anyone know the details?

Looking at the museum side of the site, I can really see Fumihiko Maki's touch and can also imagine the impact being all the greater once the 'podium' is in place. The Delegation building he recently designed in Ottawa looks fantastic - also rectilinear and with an internal courtyard, a major part of the impact is materials, scale, and something that the podium brings out. An elegance and respectful rectitude. We'll see. (below is the delegation of the ismaili imamat in Ottawa, also by Fumihiko Maki):

ismaili.jpg

14203_1188017_Delegation.jpg

The above image is of the prayer hall. Thought I'd share a couple prior images to help place this.

130.jpg

200.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Thanks Jim! You have a great vantage point! Please do share images as construction progresses and the steel and glass roof proceeds to be put together.

^^^
Great vantage point indeed. Thanks Jim, I hope you can keep us updated as this progresses.

Back