Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

I got a letter from Fernbrooke a few months ago (their 3rd one) advising me that the occupancy date has been moved again to Feb 2011.
I am on the 29th floor. Its already May and they are at the 36th Floor. Can someone give me a realistic idea of when the occupancy might take place (Spring 2009 is far gone!!!)

On a side node, I am going in July to pick up my upgrades so atleast thats some consolidation!!!

Feb. 2011 even sounds too early for the 29th floor. It has moved slow. The second building however seems to be going up at a faster rate than the first one.

36 floors.. 20 more to go. Wow this one's rising slowly! Understandable though given the unique floorplans. I never really thought about how much efficiency is gained by making each floor identical. I guess there really is a non-negligible learning curve for construction crews.

Imagine how complex the plumbing would be for this building. In a normal condo there are common "wet walls" that run vertically from floor to floor and you will find bathrooms and kitchens in adjacent units located on this wall. Now you have floors that never line up!

When you flush your toilet on the 56th floor, your "stuff" will corkscrew all the way down the building! Bet you didn't think of that!

:D LOL

Do the actual interior service conduits and plumbing follow the contours of the building? It would make far more sense to have them arranged in a traditional straight vertical fashion, and simply change the layout of the suites to accommodate them.

There is a centre that is consistent right up to the top. I assume a lot of the electrical and water features will be along the elevator shafts or close to, with pipes leading off to each floor.

^Yeah but...

In a normal condo inside the "wet wall" you can just run copper pipes straight up and branch off at each floor to the fixture such as a sink and PVC drainage tubes can run straight down. In Absolute World you would then have those all centralized in the core and then all the extra copper tubing and PVC pipe required to reach each bathroom and kitchen. All of that additional piping has to be placed in the ceiling/floor and would be different for each floor, as the core would stay in one place and the floor plates turning (in relation) as they rise.

Whatever the solution, it would add extra cost and extra work for each floor for certain.

It's not like this project has missed being photographed... but on such a beautiful day, it's hard not to pay this amazing project a little more attention.

We'll start with a view through some chain link:

AbWorldFence.jpg

And follow that with an unobstructed view:

AbWorldFull.jpg

Focus on the top:

AbWorldTop.jpg

Here we play peak-a-boo from southwest of the site:

AbWorldPeakaboo.jpg

Then get up close and personal:

AbWorldPhallic.jpg

Finally, a long view looking back from way down Hurontario at the QEW:

AbWorldQEW.jpg

But let's say we then return to Toy Mississauga in a Toy Helicopter in the (toy?) future. What might we see?

From the southwest:

AbWorldModSW.jpg

From the southeast:

AbWorldModSE.jpg

From the east:

AbWorldModE.jpg

And looking west along Burnhamthorpe, towards some other projects we may profile soon:

AbWorldModBurn.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the visit!

Great update, i42. Looking good so far. I was afraid that the curves would be watered down or not be as dramatic as in the renderings, but it seems they're being quite faithful. My only wish is that these puppies were given more exposure and built somewhere more prominent, like in the city somewhere.

Great update, i42. Looking good so far. I was afraid that the curves would be watered down or not be as dramatic as in the renderings, but it seems they're being quite faithful. My only wish is that these puppies were given more exposure and built somewhere more prominent, like in the city somewhere.

That's how I feel about them too. Given how vastly superior these towers are to all the mediocre designs around them in MCC, they are really out of place. It's as if a whole step in architectural maturity has been skipped (kind of like how many people in Africa went from having no phones straight to cell phones instead of landlines), making for a very jarring experience. I apologize in advance for my insensitive statement as I know Mississaugans here will cringe, but these towers are way, way ahead of their time - ie. far too good for where they are, essentially a waste. It's akin to Tiger Woods playing an amateur golf tournament for a 50 dollar gift card to Walmart.

These buildings really are a waste in Mississauga. In Toronto they would have been seen by people all over the GTA and from all over the world. But in Mississauga, who would see them besides the people who shop at Square One? It does not fulfill planning objectives either, putting these buildings in such an inhospitable and sterile environment. If not Toronto, at least put them it Brampton or Markham or something. Nonetheless, it is great for Mississauga, and we Mississaugans should be proud, but it is probably bad for the GTA as a whole in the larger scheme of things.

It's bad for the GTA that these towers are being built somewhere in the GTA?

Back