Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

i42, I guess you didn't happen to ask the question about when they'll start putting in the balcony glass, did you? I have a feeling it's going to have a massive impact on an already beautiful building.

The numbers might not make sense to us, because we don't have access to all of them. But in some ways, this is an "halo" type project for Fernbrook/Cityzen. I mean that in the way that the iPod previously and the iPhone and iPad now have a "halo" affect on other Apple products, in particular their computers (MacBooks, MacBook Pros, etc). So the fact that iPhone/iPad sell so well, helps Apple sell more computers. Okay, it's not a perfect analogy. But I guess my point is this is a big project for them, and even if they don't make as much money as they hoped due to increasing costs, they're going to follow through and make it look good because they know it's being watched around the world and is going to be a huge feather in their cap.

^good analysis

From Port Credit at Lakeshore and Hurontario, Northshore is on the right
20100714032.jpg

20100714080.jpg

20100714135.jpg

Those lowering ceilings in the units aren't a big deal really - most new condos with 9 foot ceilings already have bulkheads ... speaking of which this doesn't help sound insulation at all - that is, drop down ceiling in older units really helps insulate sounds.

General comment about living in circular condos: They suck when they're small! The units that is - sure designers everywhere will tell you how you make the space work ... which you can, but having lived in one they just make for awkward spaces - meh some people don't mind, even like it actually.

Those last pictures are great! One thing though, I really wish this wasn't a twin project - I'm sick of them - yes I know the second tower is different - but it's just going to take away from the first, I wish there was only one.
I mean, clearly the plots of land here are never going to generate continuous street walls - so there's nothing really wrong with a standalone tower here!

I find that they're even more iconic because there's two of them, not so much in a "more is better" kind of way but because they set the stage for each other and play very well together.

General comment about living in circular condos: They suck when they're small! The units that is - sure designers everywhere will tell you how you make the space work ... which you can, but having lived in one they just make for awkward spaces - meh some people don't mind, even like it actually.

Actually, these units aren't that round; only one wall - take a look below!

AbsolutePlan.jpg

Also - it's time we gave our hosts, Sergio, Kasper, and AJ, a big thank you for the tour! Thanks guys!

AbsoluteHosts.jpg

Great work!

Regarding circular units, are there actually units that are completely circular :) - I'm referring to that one wall only, but you know what the curved segment is rather tame so it's not too bad - compared to where I lived before that is.

Back